Gareth Barry

barry scored 2 own goals last season. he has reached his expiry date. better to sell and replace.

hallstreetblue said:
It's the people with very little football knowledge that don't rate him.
That's not entirely true. Barry is sometimes our best player and is often reliable for us, however, when we're at our worst Barry is often part of or the problem. His lack of pace and mobility is so exposed at CL level where the better sides (Dortmund who are the best team I've ever seen play live, Madrid and München), quick counter attacking (Napoli) and quick passing/movement sides (Ajax) have completely exposed his weaknesses and make our midfield look poor (must admit it wasn't just him; Dortmund Madrid and Ajax made him and Yaya look poor due to a lack of mobility in centre mid compared to those sides).

There also was a prolonged spell last season where he was very average, even against poor Prem sides. Didn't seem to play well for ages.

He's been a great player for us though, arguably our third best player in the title winning season. But the upgrade has been much needed and is the right time to integrate someone else into his starting place and limit his game time. He may still be important for us and will still have MOTM performances - he's still a very good player - and hopefully we'll use his abilities at the right times against the right teams. He may not be the integral starter he once was for us but he will be an important squad player.

Caveman said:
hallstreetblue said:
It's the people with very little football knowledge that don't rate him.
That's not entirely true. Barry is sometimes our best player and is often reliable for us, however, when we're at our worst Barry is often part of or the problem. His lack of pace and mobility is so exposed at CL level where the better sides (Dortmund who are the best team I've ever seen play live, Madrid and München), quick counter attacking (Napoli) and quick passing/movement sides (Ajax) have completely exposed his weaknesses and make our midfield look poor (must admit it wasn't just him; Dortmund Madrid and Ajax made him and Yaya look poor due to a lack of mobility in centre mid compared to those sides).

There also was a prolonged spell last season where he was very average, even against poor Prem sides. Didn't seem to play well for ages.

He's been a great player for us though, arguably our third best player in the title winning season. But the upgrade has been much needed and is the right time to integrate someone else into his starting place and limit his game time. He may still be important for us and will still have MOTM performances - he's still a very good player - and hopefully we'll use his abilities at the right times against the right teams. He may not be the integral starter he once was for us but he will be an important squad player.
+1
same goes with lescott<br /><br />-- Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:14 am --<br /><br />That's not entirely true. Barry is sometimes our best player and is often reliable for us, however, when we're at our worst Barry is often part of or the problem. His lack of pace and mobility is so exposed at CL level where the better sides (Dortmund who are the best team I've ever seen play live, Madrid and München), quick counter attacking (Napoli) and quick passing/movement sides (Ajax) have completely exposed his weaknesses and make our midfield look poor (must admit it wasn't just him; Dortmund Madrid and Ajax made him and Yaya look poor due to a lack of mobility in centre mid compared to those sides).

He's been a great player for us though, arguably our third best player in the title winning season. But the upgrade has been much needed and is the right time to integrate someone else into his starting place and limit his game time. He may still be important for us and will still have MOTM performances - he's still a very good player - and hopefully we'll use his abilities at the right times against the right teams. He may not be the integral starter he once was for us but he will be an important squad player.[/quote]
+1 ,
Same goes with lescott.

bluethunder said:
barry scored 2 own goals last season. he has reached his expiry date. better to sell and replace.

The first sentence has to be the single most bestest reason ever for selling GB. I wholeheartedly agree.

Balls to the fact that he is a model pro, one of the most consistent players we have had for many a year, keeps himself to himself off the field, could be utilised as and when or even become an Ambassador for the club either in the UK or NY.

No, he scored two OGs last year, so sell him NOW!!!

NOW I tells yee!!!

Get it done City

Barry: "I haven’t heard anything about a new deal, so looks like my contract will run out next summer and I’ll have to take it from there."

Barry: "The manager has spoken to me. He told me that he sees a place for me in his squad as he wants 2 quality players in every position."

Barry: "I’m a bit disappointed that there’s been no offer, but I haven’t got myself too down about it."

It was rumored that Txiki said he is free to leave so those quotes pretty much confirm that the club are happy to keep him around for another year as a squad player. Then he leaves on a free next summer and is replaced.

CTID101 said:
Barry: "I haven’t heard anything about a new deal, so looks like my contract will run out next summer and I’ll have to take it from there."

Barry: "The manager has spoken to me. He told me that he sees a place for me in his squad as he wants 2 quality players in every position."

Barry: "I’m a bit disappointed that there’s been no offer, but I haven’t got myself too down about it."

It was rumored that Txiki said he is free to leave so those quotes pretty much confirm that the club are happy to keep him around for another year as a squad player. Then he leaves on a free next summer and is replaced.

He decided to reject a low wage contract, with a view to be in the MLS in the future.

Barry is on more wages than Fernandinho yet is half the player, it makes zero sense to keep a player on the wane on higher wages than players who will be huge for us next season.

Ever since that England v Germany match where Gazza was the only player who tried to keep his position, whilst his team mate's went to sleep, where a 19 year old whippet (Ozil) out pace a 27 year old bloke who's never had pace and should have never had to be in that position anyway. People have had it in for him, he's almost become the embarrassing turrets mate on a night out at a classy restaurant.

Well for the last two seasons he's more than held his own in a fantastic league winning side and I might add, at long periods our best player.

Some of the crap aimed at Barry is embarrassing and reaks of school boy analysis.

its would be madness to sell Barry at this stage of our development. especially to a prem rival.

once again a case of you don't know what you have till its gone. nigel de jong anyone?

Petetheblu said:
Ever since that England v Germany match where Gazza was the only player who tried to keep his position, whilst his team mate's went to sleep, where a 19 year old whippet (Ozil) out pace a 27 year old bloke who's never had pace and should have never had to be in that position anyway. People have had it in for him, he's almost become the embarrassing turrets mate on a night out at a classy restaurant.

Well for the last two seasons he's more than held his own in a fantastic league winning side and I might add, at long periods our best player.

Some of the crap aimed at Barry is embarrassing and reaks of school boy analysis.

His legs are slowing and he loses the ball quite often. Compare his passing range from deep with Yaya and it's way below. Fernandinho likes to run with teh ball and can do Barrys jonb, again Barry is below that level. Rodwell can tackle as good as Barry, he has an engine on him and he like to run forward too. Barry again is lacking.

Barry has experience, he can read games very well but make no mistake he is waning. Compare him to the other likely top 6 teams for player in the same position.

United - Carrick
Chelsea - Luiz/Mikel
Arsenal - Arteta/Diaby
Spurs - Sandro/Paulinho
Liverpool - Lucas

I'd only give him the no over Mikel and Arteta (who is a better passer but not as good as a defender obviously). That speaks volumes for me. Why would a team aiming for the top keep a player who struggles to get into the likes of Liverpool or Spurs? Barry is a very expensive squad option for us to keep. He is a warrior like figure who brakes play, roughs teams up and keeps things ticking. The problem comes when our opponents have more pace and aren't frightened to target Barry and therefore give him a nightmare. We won the title with him and for that he deserves respect, we must look at the future rather than dwell on the past. Time to move on and have younger players who are our future in our main point of focus. Any games spare when we mull over Barry and Rodwell must be given to Rodwell this season and we say Goodbye in the summer.

Barry is getting slower by the minute! Ok against lower teams in the premier league but gets bummed in Europe and against top teams in premiership.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.