Gareth Southgate

oh-dear-how-sad.gif

To all those Southgate lovers out there England got to another final by total luck, it's 100% totally in spite of the waistcoat's inept mentally draining tactics, he's also had the luckiest draws imaginable throughout his reign always scraping through.
The lads wanted to win I'm sure but unfortunately they have to listen to the dullard's instructions, tactically he makes Mourinho seem like an all our attack manager.

His reign was on a par with Pearce's here except he's had much better footballers at his disposal, like being in a sexless marriage with somebody unlikable uncharismatic and boring to the extreme.
While you're just imprisoned having to accept him doing all the boring shite they want, like sitting very still with no TV no radio or even books he's a boring bastard who can't take the most obvious hints.

He's just been hanging around the place like a bad smell, he's felt like somebody so painfully boring who refuses to ever leave, which makes him exactly like Father Stone from Father Ted only a lot less fun and likeable.

1000056733.jpg

This has been the reaction of most England fans right after the past 3 tournaments up until today's news...

1000056745.gif

Good riddance.

To quote a phrase, I think it was time for a change! To be fair to Southgate, he has done the job a lot better than I thought he would, a lot, lot better. I think he's been helped by circumstance - there are a lot more countries competing now, many of them small, and so more games are against weaker opposition (let's forget Iceland for the moment!) and I think it's fair to say some of the stronger countries are going through their weak periods. Italy and Germany are certainly not what they were. And we have the strongest squad we've had in years. So Southgate's results are not only good, but his team has got wins in a lot of knock out ties in world cups and Euros. But I would not have wanted him replaced on the basis of results. What I regret is that with such a strong squad we have played such soul destroying football to labour to such marginal victories over teams with a minute fraction of the advantages we have and then to produce the same angst ridden performances against good opposition - and lose. It will be said that the victory over the Netherlands invalidates what I have just said, but I disagree completely. England's squad is much stronger than the Dutch, player for player we are much better but this doesn't always translate into better team work. And what we saw was a good first half, a more combative and competitive Dutch team in the second half against a more timid England, with a winning goal from a lad who was on the bench too long because Southgate really didn't want to sub his captain who was clearly out of sorts.

So many changes from the break up of Yugoslavia & Soviet Union to money in football.

Worth also noting that I think Paul Rideout was the only England schoolboy who played top level & even he didn’t make a full international when you compare the conveyor belt of talent now.

Will be just after Rideout this, but Andy Cole and Alan Wright played for England u15s at Wembley v West Germany, as I was there. Cole scored both and Wright was captain. Think there was only those 2 of any note in there though.

Odd how rare it must have been back then.

I would prefer an English manager, but if Klopp rang the FA and said I would like the job, there would be no objections from me.
I think it would be easier to employ Klopps tactics for England than Guardiolas. Strong defence , Great attack and bypass Midfield who would be there to press high and win back possession in opposition half.

I think it would be easier to employ Klopps tactics for England than Guardiolas. Strong defence , Great attack and bypass Midfield who would be there to press high and win back possession in opposition half.
Totally agree, I'm sure there's nuances to his tactics, but I'm also sure it's easier to teach in a short period of time than Pep's football.

One of Potter's first games as Brighton manager was at the Etihad and they were thumped 4-0. A Brighton fan posted on here to ask what Blues thought of Brighton. I remember replying that I was impressed. It hadn't helped that they had conceded after 2 minutes and then again just before half time so they were really up against it by HT. I had thought Hughton did a very good job but it was very much of the Southgate model to ensure Brighton finished in 18th and avoided relegation, whereas Potter promised good football for the Brighton public to watch. Personally I think this is what England need now: good, positive football from a manager who can know good footballers when he sees them and can win matches.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.