Garry Cook

peoffrey said:
His defence of Thaksin Shinawatra was his funniest gaffe, IMHO.

"Is he a nice guy? Yes. Is he a great guy to play golf with? Yes. Has he got the finances to run a club? Yes. I really care about those three things."

He later had to admit he hadn't done his research on him! Clown.
Was that his very first interview, where he said the premier league should have 14 clubs and no relegation?

Given the state of the club's finances at the time and some of the big contracts players were on, id call that more of his genius. Relegation would have been catastrophic.

Don't get the hate for Garry from some blues. He seems to arouse surprisingly negative feelings in some City fans.

He suffered from having an effusive personality which sometimes meant he engaged mouth before brain, but that hardly makes him Peter Swales. People who wear their hearts on their sleeves are usually an easy target, especially from people who are uncomfortable with big public displays of emotion themselves.

As far as I can see he had a good commercial brain and his skills as a salesman helped move the club forward on several occasions. I think he cared about City up to a point, and was seduced by the 'project', without ever really feeling like he was one of us.

I liked him and I think he did far more good than harm.

peoffrey said:
The Future's Blue said:
I think the clown made ammends, don't you? And that's the secret, if you fuck up, sort it out. He did that alright.

Our Owners also met with other Premiership Clubs. Do you think Cook could've sold them Everton or Villa? City were for sale with a seller desperate to get rid of us. You could argue our move to The COMS was key because they had a 48,000 Stadium in place.
Yep, you could argue that, in fact, you just did. Well done, you win.

salfordpaul said:
is there anywhere i can listen to the i/v again ? ta

Norb said:
CTID101 said:
Can anyone record this to an mp3 so i can listen to it later or will i be able to listen to it on iPlayer?

I can't listen at the moment.

It will be available on iPlayer for a week, and also downloadable from both the BBC website and iTunes as a podcast for free (Tony Vaughan one from 3 weeks ago is still available along with a couple of others)

iPlayer link - Click listen now

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Don't get the hate for Garry from some blues. He seems to arouse surprisingly negative feelings in some City fans.

He suffered from having an effusive personality which sometimes meant he engaged mouth before brain, but that hardly makes him Peter Swales. People who wear their hearts on their sleeves are usually an easy target, especially from people who are uncomfortable with big public displays of emotion themselves.

As far as I can see he had a good commercial brain and his skills as a salesman helped move the club forward on several occasions. I think he cared about City up to a point, and was seduced by the 'project', without ever really feeling like he was one of us.

This.

Tbh some of his so-called gaffes were totally overblown by the media who had it in for him.

Have to disagree about him not feeling part of the club, if anything I think it was his over-enthusiam and willingness to defend the club that got him a lot of stick.

Norb said:
salfordpaul said:
is there anywhere i can listen to the i/v again ? ta

Norb said:
CTID101 said:
Can anyone record this to an mp3 so i can listen to it later or will i be able to listen to it on iPlayer?

I can't listen at the moment.

It will be available on iPlayer for a week, and also downloadable from both the BBC website and iTunes as a podcast for free (Tony Vaughan one from 3 weeks ago is still available along with a couple of others)

iPlayer link - Click listen now

thanks a lot norb...listening now !

Really would like sort sort of reasonable explanation from the Cook haters? Yes he made a few verbal gaffes, who doesn't? But it's obvious he did more good than bad from a commercial point of view. And that was why he was initially recruited.

gordondaviesmoustache said:

I think you've identified your problem 'people who are uncomfortable with big public displays of emotion' - in essence, miserable fuckers. I love Garry because he had a lot of love in his heart and I have a lot in mine for life-affirming folk. Miserable people aren't worth wasting time on, especially if they're chronically miserable and almost glory in it - like Colin Shindler.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.