Garry Cook

Balti said:
see he gets sincere gratitude from Lakey in the acknowledgments at the beginning of his brilliant autobiog

seems to get alot of praise from those who knew him and worked with him

we all make gaffes and I for one admired his ambition as expressed at that supporters meeting in NYC

didn't he say that it was only matter of time before we would beat the rags and be at wembley?

oh dear fancy saying that tut tut :-)

didn't he also say that we would be the biggest and best team in the world like we all sing we are?

well we are among the elite right now and I wouldn't bet against that statement coming true either

I'd be happy to see him back at the helm

+1 well said Balti.

blue_paul said:
I've already said he should be commended for bringing the owners in. However, we could also criticise Cook for the gargantuan tranfer fees and wages we handed out to very average players under Hughes. I'm sure it wasn't Hughes who agreed the fees and we're still being punished by our seeming inability to offload fringe players due to the ridiculous contracts we gave out.

By the way, stop making such sweeping statements about people being vain and egotistical becasue they thought 'Cookie' brought much unneeded attention to the club with his many gaffes. He wasn't to everyone's taste, more of my mates where happy to to be shot of him for instance.
I believe that's Marwood's department but ultimately the owner and Khaldoon's as well. Mostly I blame Hughes for buying old, supposedly 'proven', players like Bridge, for way over the odds. Made them impossible to get rid of at any price.

It's alright for you to make condescending comments about it saying a lot about the people who actually met him and found him to be a friendly and affable chap though?

Skashion said:
I believe that's Marwood's department but ultimately the owner and Khaldoon's as well. Mostly I blame Hughes for buying old, supposedly 'proven', players like Bridge, for way over the odds. Made them impossible to get rid of at any price.

It's alright for you to make condescending comments about it saying a lot about the people who actually met him and found him to be a friendly and affable chap though?

Marwood is woefully out of his depth. There was no vacancy at City yet Cook pushed through a job for his old Buddy at Nike. Hopefully the new CEO will come in and realise how useless he is in terms of negotiating deals and contracts. You'd think an ex-Pro would actually know what he's talking about.

Cook just had good people skills and could turn his smile up whenever he needed to. In my business life, I've shook hands with people I can't stand and dealt with people I feel superior to - but I'm also fairly sure they didn't realise. At the end of the day, Cook bought the pints and posed for photos! More fool the fans who thought he was their friend.

peoffrey said:
Skashion said:

Marwood is woefully out of his depth. There was no vacancy at City yet Cook pushed through a job for his old Buddy at Nike. Hopefully the new CEO will come in and realise how useless he is in terms of negotiating deals and contracts. You'd think an ex-Pro would actually know what he's talking about.

Cook just had good people skills and could turn his smile up whenever he needed to. In my business life, I've shook hands with people I can't stand and dealt with people I feel superior to - but I'm also fairly sure they didn't realise. At the end of the day, Cook bought the pints and posed for photos! More fool the fans who thought he was their friend.

And yet the chairman recently made a point of stating what a fantastic job Marwood has done and continues to do.....

peoffrey said:

As I said before I'll take the word of Gary James over you any day. I'll also take the growing revenues and commercial deals, including with Nike, Cook's former employer, as a proof of his success. I also trust Nike didn't put him in charge of an operation with $1 billion plus turnover for nothing.

peoffrey said:
Skashion said:

Mr Khaldoon seems to rate Marwood, but seeing as you propose to be the font of all knowledge as to what peoples strengths and more markedly the weaknesses of the employees at MCFC I will bow to your greater wisdom

peoffrey said:
Skashion said:

I'm really not sure about Marwood. I had a negative opinion of him when he came, garnered from his time as a pundit, and the odd interview. I thought he was a cleverclogs, a smartypants, cut from the same cloth as Lawrenson.

I heard some negative stuff about him second and third hand, when he came, when he was seen as being treacherous by some of the playing staff. But that's been quiet for a couple of years, and players can be very bitchy.

Unlike Cook, it's difficult for me to speak definitively as he doesn't do interviews (or if he does I haven't seen them). Cook gave himself away as a clown most times he opened his mouth, but Marwood seems to have carved himself a niche at City. I'm not sure what that niche is, though. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new CEO comes in. Will he survive? Not sure.

Didsbury Dave said:
Unlike Cook, it's difficult for me to speak definitively as he doesn't do interviews (or if he does I haven't seen them). Cook gave himself away as a clown most times he opened his mouth, but Marwood seems to have carved himself a niche at City. I'm not sure what that niche is, though. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new CEO comes in. Will he survive? Not sure.

DD he has done a couple of interviews with the media and they've been okay but, understandably, City became a bit wary of this sort of thing when GC was caught out.

Personally, I have managed to do a few interviews (all recorded) with Brian and have to say that his actions and passion for the job at City has helped the Blues develop significantly. Ultimately, as with GC and others, it is up to Khaldoon, the directors, and Sheikh Mansour to judge whether he's doing a good job or not, but from what I've seen and heard I think it's clear he is.

In my recorded interviews with Khaldoon he did, of course, talk positively about Brian (yeah I know he's unlikely to criticise but I can usually tell if someone is spinning a line or whether someone is genuine).

Inevitably there are some that won't like certain officials at City but to me it's fairly clear that City's directors and owner wouldn't tolerate someone who they don't have faith in. So many changes have occurred at City that I reckon there'll be quite a few people who feel a little upset that they are either no longer significant or that 'their' person is no longer in a position of note. That inevitably causes some to be more critical of those now in key roles. That's a shame.

Didsbury Dave said:
peoffrey said:
Skashion said:

I'm really not sure about Marwood. I had a negative opinion of him when he came, garnered from his time as a pundit, and the odd interview. I thought he was a cleverclogs, a smartypants, cut from the same cloth as Lawrenson.

I heard some negative stuff about him second and third hand, when he came, when he was seen as being treacherous by some of the playing staff. But that's been quiet for a couple of years, and players can be very bitchy.

Met Marwood recently he spoke passionately about the new training ground and academy. He thinks the owners are different class, and he spoke warmly about the players including Carlos. He detests Kia and most agents

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.