Garry Cook

Re: gary cook

BoyBlue_1985 said:
The man that launched Air Jordan!! The job was too big for him! No
If we carry on at this rate we'll soon be claiming he used to be President of the USA.

Launched 'Air Jordan'? Come on now, there's no need to exaggerate.

Didsbury Dave said:
It would be a nice gesture to have him as the next inclusion in the Manchester City Hall of Fame.

Maybe we can't as he wasn't a player. What about a statue next to the Joe Mercer one or at another part of the ground? Or name a stand after him, perhaps the Family Stand as it embodies so much of what the great man was all about.
Splitter. I thought you wanted to Kill The Cheese and here you go advocating the very thing?! There are dedicated KTC-ers staring dumbfounded into their Theakston's Old Peculiar while tears snuff out rolled up tabs of Ogden's Nut-Gone Flake.

gary cook

Former Manchester City chief executive Garry Cook has admitted he caused Blues fans "embarrassment" during his controversial time at the club.

But he also revealed his pride at laying the foundations for City's success.

Cook resigned in September 2011 following accusations he accidentally sent an e-mail to former player Nedum Onuoha's cancer-suffering mother mocking her illness.

Cook denied sending the e-mail, saying his account was hacked, but left after an internal investigation.

In an interview with BBC Radio Manchester, to be broadcast on Thursday at 6pm, Cook said: "There are no excuses. There are my interpretations and there are the interpretations of the press.

"The thing I always felt when those interpretations were manifested was the embarrassment I'd caused the fans."

Cook added: "In the end, I really felt that I didn't want to continue being the scapegoat of Manchester City and the point of attack.

"I am who I am but I was getting more and more concerned that it was becoming more about me than it was about the football club and the fans.

"That's not fair to them, it's their club and they deserve better than that."

Despite his headline grabbing comments, Cook was praised by fans for his work behind the scenes, and he was instrumental in attracting owner Sheikh Mansour to the 2011/12 Premier League champions.

"We built a prospectus to sell the club," he said. "They were interested in other football clubs and we had to sell the idea that Manchester City was a good investment.

Cook added: "I am proud of what I've done, but it's not me alone. What I feel I managed to do was build a team of people who believed and could see the vision.

"I'm not responsible for what happened at Manchester City. I only played my part and I was very fortunate to be given that opportunity."

Cook's other indiscretions included accusing AC Milan of "bottling" a deal to bring Kaka to City and inducting former striker Uwe Rosler into the "Manchester United Hall of Fame".

Cook said: "I was angry at AC Milan for the way they treated the football club with regards to Kaka.

"In retrospect, it was disrespectful to make public statements the way I did and I obviously regret that."

Dubai Blue said:
If we carry on at this rate we'll soon be claiming he used to be President of the USA.

He was head of one of the biggest sporting brands in the world though with revenues in excess of of ten times bigger than City's when he took over, and indeed, far higher than at the rags currently. The job was not too big for him at all. It's an absurd comment which shows no knowledge of his record and achievements.

Dubai Blue said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

Exaggeration?

This man has been crowned a bona-fide City legend on this thread, a name to be ushered in hushed tones alongside Trautmann, Meredith, Mercer and Wild.

When Sergio Ageruo banged the ball in the back of the QPR net, every single person in that stadium thought of Garry and those beers in Abu Dhabi.

If we do put the statue up, I say it should be of him holding a foaming pint up. Can someone start a petition?

Didsbury Dave said:
Dubai Blue said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

Exaggeration?

This man has been crowned a bona-fide City legend on this thread, a name to be ushered in hushed tones alongside Trautmann, Meredith, Mercer and Wild.

When Sergio Ageruo banged the ball in the back of the QPR net, every single person in that stadium thought of Garry and those beers in Abu Dhabi.

If we do put the statue up, I say it should be of him holding a foaming pint up. Can someone start a petition?
I can't believe Mancini isn't following him out the door, can you?

strongbowholic said:
Didsbury Dave said:
It would be a nice gesture to have him as the next inclusion in the Manchester City Hall of Fame.

Maybe we can't as he wasn't a player. What about a statue next to the Joe Mercer one or at another part of the ground? Or name a stand after him, perhaps the Family Stand as it embodies so much of what the great man was all about.
Splitter. I thought you wanted to Kill The Cheese and here you go advocating the very thing?! There are dedicated KTC-ers staring dumbfounded into their Theakston's Old Peculiar while tears snuff out rolled up tabs of Ogden's Nut-Gone Flake.

I'm going to be honest here, strongbow, comrade.

The KTC campaign was dealt a crushing blow with that half hour primary school disco that tannoy jerkoff played after the QPR game. The sight of fat 60 somethings bobbing along to Sweet Caroline is a hard one to remove from the mind.

I think the battle has been lost. They'll be playing Tom Hark after each goal next season and the spirit of Garry will live on.

Cook 1 KTC 0. That was the real score the other week.

Skashion said:
Dubai Blue said:

He was head of one of the biggest sporting brands in the world though with revenues in excess of of ten times bigger than City's when he took over, and indeed, far higher than at the rags currently. The job was not too big for him at all. It's an absurd comment which shows no knowledge of his record and achievements.
Of course it wasn't too big for him, but claiming he launched Nike Air Jordan is stretching things a bit too far.

Never mind Didsbury Dave, whilst there was that stupid kids disco, the real fans celebrated on the pitch, so everyone left happy.

-- Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:31 pm --

Dubai Blue said:
Of course it wasn't too big for him, but claiming he launched Nike Air Jordan is stretching things a bit too far.
Probably more ignorance than deceit. Hmmm, that sounds like a good Cabal motto.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.