Gas & Electricity

Octopus emailed me to say my leccy meter "was out of certification" and a new meter had to be installed. I opted for the smart meter because I can just unplug the HMI if I don't want to see how much energy I'm using.
As an aside, the smart meter was fitted over three weeks ago but the post installation link-up wasn't completed until I phoned this morning to ask WTFIGO? It now works with a very pretty display. The wonders of technology.
The reason I don’t want a smart meter is due to something I was told a while ago. Apparently they will in future charge different amounts for using gas/elec at different times of day, so without a smart meter they can’t know when I’m using gas/elec, only the amount I’ve used. Though I suppose they could argue that they will therefore charge me the top rate as they can’t discern when I am using gas/elec, but that’s another future argument. What I was told might be rubbish though, as might be what I’ve written!

Octopus emailed me to say my leccy meter "was out of certification" and a new meter had to be installed. I opted for the smart meter because I can just unplug the HMI if I don't want to see how much energy I'm using.
As an aside, the smart meter was fitted over three weeks ago but the post installation link-up wasn't completed until I phoned this morning to ask WTFIGO? It now works with a very pretty display. The wonders of technology.

Yep mine needs replacing too for the same reason, just been too busy with baby to respond. But if you get both on smart meter you can join their agile tracker which is well cheaper apparently. The octopus reddit page has more info.

The reason I don’t want a smart meter is due to something I was told a while ago. Apparently they will in future charge different amounts for using gas/elec at different times of day, so without a smart meter they can’t know when I’m using gas/elec, only the amount I’ve used. Though I suppose they could argue that they will therefore charge me the top rate as they can’t discern when I am using gas/elec, but that’s another future argument. What I was told might be rubbish though, as might be what I’ve written!
The move to surge/demand pricing is probably some way off yet, but it's been mentioned on the news a few times in the past couple of weeks.

Another good thing (?) about smart meters is that they link to the energy supplier's app so you can see if other members of the household are using lots of energy while you are out doing something important such as going to the match.

Another good thing (?) about smart meters is that they link to the energy supplier's app so you can see if other members of the household are using lots of energy while you are out doing something important such as going to the match.
It certainly was easier back in the day when you could put a lock on the coal bunker.

;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.