Gas & Electricity

I am single and live in a small terrace, my bills for the last few years have averaged about 60 a month, i am with e-on, my last estimate is that it will double, i don't have a smart meter, and they have been estimating my bills for two years, no meter readings due to the pandemic, currently £300 in credit which should see me ok for the rest of the year. we have had a warm spring and summer,i put the heating on for a couple of hours last week for the first time since April, easy for me on my own, if you live in a larger house with kids not putting the heating on is not an option, very worrying, we as a society are going to have to look after the more vulnerable. All this caused by the hard left's friend Putin. Expensive but morally right, the russians must not be allowed to rape, murder, and annexe a country.

The hard left’s friend Putin? You sure?

Currently paying £247 a month, then got hit with this email tonight

Hello Mr Bell

As you are on a fixed Direct Debit payment plan, we check how much you are paying twice a year. Your payments may need to be adjusted if your energy use changes, if you move onto a different tariff or if the price of your tariff increases.

We’ve now reviewed your current payment amount and need to make a change to make sure you keep on track. You'll therefore need to pay more each month, so we've changed your Direct Debit payment to £446.97 each month, starting on 1/11/2022.

An extra £200 a month. Fuck me!

I am single and live in a small terrace, my bills for the last few years have averaged about 60 a month, i am with e-on, my last estimate is that it will double, i don't have a smart meter, and they have been estimating my bills for two years, no meter readings due to the pandemic, currently £300 in credit which should see me ok for the rest of the year. we have had a warm spring and summer,i put the heating on for a couple of hours last week for the first time since April, easy for me on my own, if you live in a larger house with kids not putting the heating on is not an option, very worrying, we as a society are going to have to look after the more vulnerable. All this caused by the hard left's friend Putin. Expensive but morally right, the russians must not be allowed to rape, murder, and annexe a country.
The UK got 5% of its gas from Russia. It's down to greed not Putin.

Why are we paying so much for our electricity when renewables are apparently so successful. I thought it was gas that was the problem???

Why are we paying so much for our electricity when renewables are apparently so successful. I thought it was gas that was the problem???
It’s the way the energy market works that’s the problem. Electricity’s price is based on the most expensive fuel. The government could do something but won’t because they want to line the pockets of certain energy companies at our expense, and would rather borrow money on international markets to provide help to consumers that we will ultimately have to pay back than do something about the fundamental problem.

Good fucking grief...

You say your bills have been estimated have you checked the estimate against true read could be way out either way

Out of interest, for those on a smart meter

How much was your electric bill today ?
Yesterday as of 10pm was £2.74 for electric, including half charging my phev (company car and I'm out on the road shortly), having the electric blankets on for the kids for half an hour before bed, and ironing the kids school clothes, and gas was £0.64 with showers and one load of washing up. I hate leaving plates from lunch until later but filling up the bowl once is cheaper.

Got my estimate through from British Gas last week and they think I'll be spending around £1600 each on gas and electric annually now. I estimate slightly lower so we'll see. We've not put the heating on so far but that may change in October.

Bought the dog a new blanket too for a tenner, he's part chihuahua so shivers at the slightest breeze anyway but I can't see us having the heating on overnight even if it starts hitting below zero this winter.

Just have to cut our cloth accordingly and plan ahead, which isn't really going to help a recession unfortunately. Food shop is about 20% more expensive weekly now, so we buy about 20% less food or swap. Also finding we are buying more microwaveable things as even with the added cost of a prepared portion, 90 seconds in a microwave is much cheaper than 20 mins boiling or 40 on the oven.

Will also be dropping Netflix next month and considering doing the same with prime especially as Amazon have upped the cost. We'll probably all be in bed by 8pm in December anyway to save on heating costs!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.