Gas & Electricity

Your house has to be well insulated and to get the best of it, wet underfloor heating. You can do it with normal rads but you need to upsize them or so I’m told.
We have decided the only way we are leaving the current house is in a box so are biting the bullet and getting solar fitted to one side of the house. The installers believe we can get 10kW of panels on the south facing roof and we have now asked them to price for a mixture of a solar battery and thermal store. The idea being it charges the battery first, then any further excess energy it heats a water tank and finally anything left it sticks back in the grid.
Got to be the way to go tbh self sufficient is peace of mind.

Your house has to be well insulated and to get the best of it, wet underfloor heating. You can do it with normal rads but you need to upsize them or so I’m told.
We have decided the only way we are leaving the current house is in a box so are biting the bullet and getting solar fitted to one side of the house. The installers believe we can get 10kW of panels on the south facing roof and we have now asked them to price for a mixture of a solar battery and thermal store. The idea being it charges the battery first, then any further excess energy it heats a water tank and finally anything left it sticks back in the grid.
Hope you can ventilate in the summer!

Got my bill, between july and yesterday i am using about £35 a month , dual fuel, i am such a low user and in credit , my end of fix , end of dec, will bring £90 something a month , relieved it isnt worse than that

£53.12 after 12 days. A couple of spikes in gas usage during 2 cold evenings. But not bad.

Screenshot_20221122-155122~2.png

Little experiment tonight as house is getting cold now, once the house is upto temperature every half hour the heating kicks in to get back to 20 degrees after dropping to around 19.6. We had the heating on an extra 2 and half hours and it cost us about £1. So today we had the heating on for 1 hour this morning it cost, £1.20, a bath cost us about 80p and the heating on tonight for 3 1/4 hours cost £2.34, add in standing charge of 28p.
Total cost today £4.62, with no cooking (chippy tea) you could add 50p for that normally. So I reckoned on £5 a day budget if needed, but we have a lot of credit so on those really cold days it could be on longer if needed.
Trouble is my wife works from home and she as we all know women gets cold unless is 40 degrees! I feel like fucking Scrooge can I put another coal on the fire, it seems though it would be more economical in the colder days to have the heating on for longer periods than intermittent bursts as the house will never get warm before it cuts out.

How much did you spend on the chippy tea out of interest?

I reckon they shared a haddock & large chips and warmed a tin of peas in the microwave, more expense!
Ha ha not far wrong, it was £11 for the three of us as my daughter had done well at her cheerleading, don’t often have them these days .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.