Gas & Electricity

Thing about turning your boiler down, surely it all works out the same.

Higher temp, rooms heat up quicker, turn off heating earlier

or

Lower temp, rooms heat up slower, heating on for longer

No? What am I missing?...
I don’t think your water has to be at 100% to get the heat in your radiator it goes off your trv and thermostat.

or

it's the condensing boilers that work more efficient at lower temperatures, at higher temperature the condensing element has little effect so you're burning far more gas to maintain the heat. At a lower temperature the boiler starts to use the residual energy from the condensing element instead of gas so you get a double boost in less gas used

or

No? What am I missing?

Wrong.

Google best boiler rad and water temperature.

There is a wealth of practical heating information online if you can be arsed reading it.

Wrong.

Google best boiler rad and water temperature.

There is a wealth of practical heating information online if you can be arsed reading it.
Tbf I was just on the money saving boiler challenge website and at the end it states it may take a little longer to heat up the rooms when it's set to a lower temperature.

Tbf I was just on the money saving boiler challenge website and at the end it states it may take a little longer to heat up the rooms when it's set to a lower temperature.
Takes longer to heat up a room but more than outweighed by the cost savings. Additionally it stops the heating over compensating. If your rad water temp is at max then it will keep heating until it gets to the set temperature, but because the heat remains in the radiator and the pump will still be running it will actually overshoot the target temperature as the rad is still a lot hotter than the air.
At a lower water temp the heat builds more gradually and is therefore easier to control.
Manufacturers of thermostats will say that they compensate for the overheating effect, but in my experience they don’t as you would need to know things like the volume of air in the room you are trying to heat, humidity level and the efficiency of the radiators (aluminium rads are more efficient than traditional steel).
Try turning it down to 60deg and see how you go on. We have pretty big radiators and seem to be fine at around 55deg.

Takes longer to heat up a room but more than outweighed by the cost savings. Additionally it stops the heating over compensating. If your rad water temp is at max then it will keep heating until it gets to the set temperature, but because the heat remains in the radiator and the pump will still be running it will actually overshoot the target temperature as the rad is still a lot hotter than the air.
At a lower water temp the heat builds more gradually and is therefore easier to control.
Manufacturers of thermostats will say that they compensate for the overheating effect, but in my experience they don’t as you would need to know things like the volume of air in the room you are trying to heat, humidity level and the efficiency of the radiators (aluminium rads are more efficient than traditional steel).
Try turning it down to 60deg and see how you go on. We have pretty big radiators and seem to be fine at around 55deg.
Thanks, I don't have a digital display on the boiler as far as I'm aware so will just turn it down quite low on the dial and monitor it.

or

I tries turning the boiler temp down, and as you said it takes longer to get to the temperature you want. Have now turned it back up.

Thanks, I don't have a digital display on the boiler as far as I'm aware so will just turn it down quite low on the dial and monitor it.
If the rad water temp has an “e” setting that’s usually a flow temp of 70 degrees which taking into account the drop from the rads results in a return temp of 50 degrees, which is about the threshold for the boiler to start recovering heat in condensing mode.
Any lower than this setting and it will be even more efficient, but like I say reduce it a bit and see how you go on as you may find it just takes too long on a very cold day.
One thing I wouldn’t advocate doing is turning down the tap water temp as you need it high enough to prevent legionella (so around 60 deg).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.