Gas & Electricity

Just a random conspiracy thought but I wonder at all if this freakishly warm weather for the year is causing price rises in Gas - even today, It's sunny and warm here and I have my window open

+++

The UK recorded an average annual temperature of more than 10C (50F) for the first time in 2022, the Met Office has said.

The national weather service also said 2022 was the country's hottest on record, confirming provisional figures that the year would set a new record.

The mean temperature across the 12 months was 10.03C, beating the previous all-time high of 9.88C in 2014.

Such a freakishly hot year is now likely to happen every three to four years, the analysis warned. Whereas once it would have struck just once in 500 years, had humans not polluted and warmed the climate.

++
But for 3 weeks before Christmas it was absolutely fuckin freezing, people were shitting it because it was so cold and the fear of heating houses.
Thats the problem when they publish average temperatures, early December and now temps combined would probably give a near "normal average" temperature for the whole period.

Right Im with you. Yes, I agree
It's not right, it's because the UK flogged off it's gas storage capacity and became reliant on imports.
Shut down our coal production and Power Stations but are happy for the rest of the world to continue burning coal.
Imported energy is currently fucked thanks to Putin and is why the Government are massively subsidising the cost of fuel at present because no one could afford the actual cost of the stuff.
We have been shafted over a 40 year period and it's now coming home to roost.

Sorry mate. I can’t follow this logic at all. if a person reduces their energy by 50% then surely they will pay a great deal less as long as the unit prices remain the same. The unit prices are based on wholesale energy prices. What am I missing?

So currently they are allowed to charge £2,500 for an "average" household for a year. This is the definition from ofgem and what everything is based on. The unit price per kwh comes directly from balancing this first sentence. Now that average household over the last year has suddenly become a very different average household. the above was based on 13000 kwh on gas and 2900kwh for electricty. A huge lowing of these to say 7000kwh on gas and 2500 kwh on electrity and suddenly we see that £2,500 for the "average" household implies a huge increase in per kwh to balance it out even though nothing has changed (just people using less). In reality everyone has used less this year but it's a constant chase. to save the same amount of money the next year will be harder as the baseline has shifted down considerably.

My personal conspiracy theory is that electric prices are going to be driven up to a high level over the next 10 years as the Government move to get everyone into Electric vehicles, there is no way that they are going to give up the revenue that that currently get from Petrol and Diesel.

All part of a bigger plan.

My personal conspiracy theory is that electric prices are going to be driven up to a high level over the next 10 years as the Government move to get everyone into Electric vehicles, there is no way that they are going to give up the revenue that that currently get from Petrol and Diesel.

All part of a bigger plan.

Yep.

It will be £80 to charge the car in the same way it’s £80 to fill it and taxation policy will change to protect government revenue.

Fuck all to do with green climate policy.

So currently they are allowed to charge £2,500 for an "average" household for a year. This is the definition from ofgem and what everything is based on. The unit price per kwh comes directly from balancing this first sentence. Now that average household over the last year has suddenly become a very different average household. the above was based on 13000 kwh on gas and 2900kwh for electricty. A huge lowing of these to say 7000kwh on gas and 2500 kwh on electrity and suddenly we see that £2,500 for the "average" household implies a huge increase in per kwh to balance it out even though nothing has changed (just people using less). In reality everyone has used less this year but it's a constant chase. to save the same amount of money the next year will be harder as the baseline has shifted down considerably.
No mate. I don't think that is how it works. They have calculated average usage of an average size house and then simply set an arbitrary cap of the maximum that house with its average usage can be billed. Energy unit prices are based on wholesale prices which in turn are influenced by supply vs demand. The unit prices are reviewed every three months by OFGEN and are ammended based on wholesale gas price projections

If you live in the average house and cut your fuel usage then the amount you are charged goes down and if you increase it it goes up.

But for 3 weeks before Christmas it was absolutely fuckin freezing, people were shitting it because it was so cold and the fear of heating houses.
Thats the problem when they publish average temperatures, early December and now temps combined would probably give a near "normal average" temperature for the whole period.

Agree those 3 weeks - but before that I didn’t have the heating on since first week of March !

If we have warm years like that then Gas is hardly going to be used bar a couple months in total

Just had my bill through for December, im guessing that this will be as bad as it will get given how fecking cold it was and the missus was off work ill with the heating on all day.

Total of £242.00 so not as bad as i first feared, the first 5 days of Jan are coming in close to £4 a day so if it stays like this im going to be looking at maybe £120 for January.

No mate. I don't think that is how it works. They have calculated average usage of an average size house and then simply set an arbitrary cap of the maximum that house with its average usage can be billed. Energy unit prices are based on wholesale prices which in turn are influenced by supply vs demand. The unit prices are reviewed every three months by OFGEN and are ammended based on wholesale gas price projections

If you live in the average house and cut your fuel usage then the amount you are charged goes down and if you increase it it goes up.

but the issue is the average is constantly being squeezed so they'll be no room for savings. this year I could save 6000kwh on the average house next year It might be just 1000kwh that I can save. The year after 0 kwh of savings and so forth

It's not right, it's because the UK flogged off it's gas storage capacity and became reliant on imports.
Shut down our coal production and Power Stations but are happy for the rest of the world to continue burning coal.
Imported energy is currently fucked thanks to Putin and is why the Government are massively subsidising the cost of fuel at present because no one could afford the actual cost of the stuff.
We have been shafted over a 40 year period and it's now coming home to roost.
I understand the policy failings you describe but every single person I hear from on this issue is many hundreds of pounds in credit. We are still being over with this, unquestionably. And this is without the hundreds of millions of profits the companies are making

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.