General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Does it still make any sense to have 6 weeks of campaigning?

Back in the day candidates used to tour the constituency or the country giving speeches and attending hustings and you needed to give people time to get their message across.

Now it's all on the internet of TV news instantly I don't get the impression it does anyone any good. The country is effectively without a government for this time so no laws get passed.

I don't know many people who haven't already decided who they are going to vote for and it just seems silly for it to drag out like this.

Those polls just ain't narrowing

They have slightly on the new methodology, which is meant to be closer to their MRP, and so an actual prediction. That had Labour down, and a 21pt lead.

A 27 point lead on election day would be astonishing - even compared to the landslides we've had over the years.

Some brutal polling for the Tories on https://x.com/RedfieldWilton today (and yesterday) on a variety of subjects. It looks like there's nothing they can do recover even slightly.

Back in the day candidates used to tour the constituency or the country giving speeches and attending hustings and you needed to give people time to get their message across.

Now it's all on the internet of TV news instantly I don't get the impression it does anyone any good. The country is effectively without a government for this time so no laws get passed.

I don't know many people who haven't already decided who they are going to vote for and it just seems silly for it to drag out like this.

I can't find it quickly, but there's a graph showing polling changes during campaigns throughout the decades, and it rarely makes a huge difference. Saying that, there are still quite a lot of voters from the last election saying don't know.

I guess it's also a pretty big event to arrange, with schools closing, volunteers needed - especially with a snap election. The civil service need to do some prep for the new government, and there are huge practical issues, as hundreds of people could lose their jobs overnight, and all the support staff will be on notice, and quickly lose their place of work.

They have slightly on the new methodology, which is meant to be closer to their MRP, and so an actual prediction. That had Labour down, and a 21pt lead.

A 27 point lead on election day would be astonishing - even compared to the landslides we've had over the years.

Some brutal polling for the Tories on https://x.com/RedfieldWilton today (and yesterday) on a variety of subjects. It looks like there's nothing they can do recover even slightly.
If you consider all the announcements, claims and accusations they have made I think its clear the electorate just are not listing to them and won't buy the rotten fish they are trying to tell us is wild red salmon. Any Tory MP in any seat who isn't putting out feelers to potential employers post the GE is deluded - none of them appear safe

I do wonder what is going through the heads of Reform voters that they worry SO MUCH more about immigration than any other topic (for those of you reading in black and white, they're the blue circle that's highest on immigration, but lowest on Healthcare, the Economy and Housing)

What kind of lives do they lead that it has such an impact?

1717692334747.png

None whatsoever. Stick a fork in this election, because it is done.

According to Stoke-on-Trent Live Gullis is blaming this on Hamas lol

I think Farage would disagree. There's a genuine chance that Reform could overtake the Tories in the polls.

I suspect on election day they will still get virtually no seats, but with people's opinions of the Tories right now, it wouldn't be a shock to see an even bigger shift to Reform. I can definitely see a Farage campaign for Proportional Representation after the election.

It would be interesting to see what the remains of the Tory vote thing of Reform/Farage.

Absolutely. But it'd be fascinating to see how Labour would react if the Conservatives somehow won the election. And yes; I know. There's more chance of me getting Halle Berry's phone number?

What? How will the Conservatives react? Well; unless they're not dealing with a full deck, I'm guessing most rank and file tories are resigned to getting their arses handed to them big time. Probably most of the hierarchy as well, I'd imagine. So it surely won't come as a shock to them. It's going to be very messy for them. Possibly worse than 1997.

Who do I want to win? I don't really care, to be honest. Because....

1. I don't live in Blighty. And
2. I have an ambivalence to mainstream politics.

I do wonder what is going through the heads of Reform voters that they worry SO MUCH more about immigration than any other topic (for those of you reading in black and white, they're the blue circle that's highest on immigration, but lowest on Healthcare, the Economy and Housing)

What kind of lives do they lead that it has such an impact?

View attachment 121508
They don't seem very concerned with education either.
Can't say I'm surprised.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.