General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Just thought I would add something as a private renter.
I'm 60 now, and I have some savings. I have worked continuously since I was 16. Even when I had my son I was only absent from work for about 6 months

I now work 2 days a week, and supplement that wage with my occupational pension.
Life is OK, and I'm better off than many. I do know that.. I can go on the odd holiday without any worry.

But I know I'm slowing down with arthritis, and the lift in this building keeps breaking down.

So I have to walk up 8 flights of stairs every day now, with heavy shopping etc.

Thing is, I can't get social housing because I have a bit of savings.

It's just that I don't see any help at all for people like me

It's pretty shit isn't it. Unless you play the system or exaggerate things you get very little support. Ironically it probably actually ends up costing the state more when people, can't work anymore, have to be hospitalised for long spells or go into care homes because their health conditions worsened because they didn't have just a little bit of support at the right time.

It's pretty shit isn't it. Unless you play the system or exaggerate things you get very little support. Ironically it probably actually ends up costing the state more when people, can't work anymore, have to be hospitalised for long spells or go into care homes because their health conditions worsened because they didn't have just a little bit of support at the right time.
To be honest, I think very few "play the system."
Not saying they don't exist, but it's negligible IMHO

It's just that there are many who work all their lives with little or even no return. Apart from their State Pension.

It's just that there are many who work all their lives with little or even no return. Apart from their State Pension.
I really can't understand how people can survive on just a State Pension. How have we got this? Some will even start paying tax on this pittance.

Guaranteed he only bet £100 as he thought it wouldn't get noticed
Sure. My point was it's all a bit small time in step with the Tory campaign. Was going to add hasn't he got any mates who could place bets and cash in a bit more ..... but then I remembered he is Sunaks closest aide ;-)

That's a fair point. It wasn't intended as a criticism of such people or play into tropes about layabouts etc. It's just that so many public services have been cut back it seems you have to exaggerate circumstances to even get a little bit of help.

Indeed. Accomodation costs are few too high and whilst some people have done very well out of rising house prices, it doesn't benefit most of the population and worsens or creates a whole load of other social issues. People like yourself stuck in apartment blocks, elderly people in need of a bungalow, women and men choosing to stay in toxic relationships because it keeps a roof over their head.

I really can't understand how people can survive on just a State Pension. How have we got this? Some will even start paying tax on this pittance.
I'post: 17247880, member: 87825"]
That's a fair point. It wasn't intended as a criticism of such people or play into tropes about layabouts etc. It's just that so many public services have been cut back it seems you have to exaggerate circumstances to even get a little bit of help.

Indeed. Accomodation costs are few too high and whilst some people have done very well out of rising house prices, it doesn't benefit most of the population and worsens or creates a whole load of other social issues. People like yourself stuck in apartment blocks, elderly people in need of a bungalow, women and men choosing to stay in toxic relationships because it keeps a roof over their head.
[/QUOTE]
I think the housing issue is the first thing that should be addressed by whatever incoming Government we have. It's a sodding disgrace to be honest

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.