General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
BBC for me…least offensive to my tastes so far. Had Tories at 140 - 160, and delighted they dipped below 150.

Delighted Labour are in and comfortably so. Going to be fun night.

Watching BBC because we don’t have C4 here, and one of my favourite moments thus far was Steve Baker, participating in the opening panel as the exit polls were presented, having to watch the analyst, in front of a giant screen showing the chance of winning for various candidates, being shown (and told directly), live on air, that BBC gives him <1% of holding on to his seat.

They always ask for my address and after I’ve given it I give them my name.

In fact this time we had two rooms in the local library, one for my own ward and one I assume for the adjoining ward. Therefore the man and woman giving out the papers were pointing people into the relevant room.
The man started to ask my address and the lady said, no she’s definitely one of ours, I recognise her! :-) They checked my photo (I showed them two to be on the safe side.)
They then made sure they underlined my address and wrote the number as they gave me the ballot paper.
I am reassured by that because, to me, it means that no one else can try and vote again as me.

40 odd % of the vote nowadays seems to earn you a fucking large majority. Laughable really.
It’s just mathematics. More parties/candidates dilute the support by offering more options for voters, but in most constituencies it’s still only a choice between two so votes that go to the other parties are effective only if they reduce one of the leading parties more than the other.

Watching BBC because we don’t have C4 here, and one of my favourite moments thus far was Steve Baker, participating in the opening panel as the exit polls were presented, having to watch the analyst, in front of a giant screen showing the chance of winning for various candidates, being shown (and told directly), live on air, that BBC gives him <1% of holding on to his seat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.