General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
I do see Reform as somewhat moderate in some areas but yes extreme in others. I'm not willing to say Reform is far-right as in absolutely everything about them is essentially Nazism because that isn't true. I do not agree with their immigration policies but I just don't see the problem with some of their other policies. That doesn't mean I'm a far-right monster.

I can understand why people have voted for them but it's not because they're Tommy Robinson supporting thugs. This is why I'm saying there is no rise of the far-right. I don't see a rise in Nazism or extremism from the people I talk to, many of which I know have voted for Reform.

Le Pen hasn't risen anywhere, she has united the right in France and that's about it, 50% of France did not vote for Le Pen. It's the reverse of the UK, the right is split and the popular vote will show that the country is essentially split right down the middle. It's not like the right didn't exist before, it has always existed and that led to sequential Tory majorities but now it has split in half.

Inversely to what you have said, if you sit on the left then of course you will perhaps think that my political views are on the right.
Sorry, Le Pen (National Front/Rally) hasn’t risen anywhere (regardless of the method of doing so)?

I am not sure there is any purpose to continuing the discussion if we do not occupy the same reality.

I think you need to spend a bit more time listening to Reform candidates and also studying the history of how far-right movements have risen in democratic nations. And perhaps consider that your own political beliefs may cause you to see Reform as more moderate than it actually is.

If you would like to see some modern parallels, read up on Marine Le Pen’s and the National Front/Rally’s rise in France.
Apparently 29.1% of Sunderland supports the far-right.

Lab: 47.1% (+6.7)
Ref: 29.1% (+13.4)
Con: 13.8% (-19.2)
LDem: 5.7% (-0.2)
Grn: 4.3% (+1.6)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.