General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Must be tempting to take their seats. Who gets the NI question at PMQ?
They should take their seats. Sinn Fein is a party to the GFA and thus are supposed to be normalising their politics. Not taking them was a protest against what they saw as an unfair system.

Worked with a fair few over the years in the civil service from both main parties , they would make Joey Barton look like a genius
Yup. I worked on an industry body with the civil servants dealing with bank regulation. I was not impressed by them at all. I employed an ex treasury guy. He was very good, but that is why he left the CS in frustration.
PS He was an Oxford graduate. While there he had an, er, relationship with a fellow student by the name of Edwina Cohen. Yep, Currie.

Last edited:
They should take their seats. Sinn Fein is a party to the GFA and thus are supposed to be normalising their politics. Not taking them was a protest against what they saw as an unfair systems
They won't as they would have to take the following oath
MPs take the oath by holding the sacred text in their uplifted hand and saying the words of the oath: I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to His Majesty King Charles, his heirs and successors, according to law.

I suppose i could get abusive with the astronomical amounts of money the man wasted, that gave away in untendered contracts to people not up to the job, that he gave away in ‘covid loans’ to multiple fraudulent claims.
The £1.7M spent on ‘painting the PM’s plane’, £120M on ‘the festival of Brexit’, £911M on ‘consultancy fees’ in 2021, double the previous year, £2.3B in fines to the EU for lax customs checks on Chinese goods, £55M on government lawyers for the Covid enquiry, £40M for MOD ‘personal helicopter rides’, £29B on test and trace, over £1B on unusable PPE and testing contracts, millions more on storing it and now millions more on destroying it. All awarded un-tendered again and many of them with links to now ex-ministers and ex-MP’s. We spent over £160B on covid compared to France’s £30B for about the same outcomes.
And, of course, he didn’t insure the national debt, incurred as a result of the Quantitive Easing which he used to issue his ‘Covid Payouts’ against interest rate rises which cost £11B.
These are just a small number of examples and a full catalogue of wasteful spending is attached.
https://assets.nationbuilder.com/b4...ous_spending_tracker_Breakdown.pdf?1717161531

So, all in all, he’s been absolutely useless as both a chancellor and a PM and that’s being generous.
The Tory Fiscal rules

Oh it won't ever happen in our current 2 party system - I just believe it's the right way forward in my personal opinion
When seats are based on individual local elections, how does one accomplish proportional representation?

For instance, if I’m competing for 1 seat and I win by 1 vote, how do we “proportionally represent” that district? Or, do we get rid of those individual seats, vote only for the parties and then divvy up (say) 100 seats based on one’s party’s percentage of the vote?

That would certainly have made for a more interesting melange of representatives, and meant a coalition government would have been needed, even in this supposed parliamentary landslide election.

There is definitely more than one way to skin the cat, but do you really want a system where the votes coming out of a few large cities determine who will lord over you for the next six years?

Quandary.

Dad was playing for Torquay and working Babbacombe Beach with Buzzer during the off-season in the early 60’s when I was born.
Most of my childhood was babbacombe / oddicombe beach during the summer after we moved here when I was a toddler. 20 years after you though by the sounds of time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.