General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
An unsurprising result.
But let's see a bigger picture for UK politics - Labour have a huge majority from 34% of a 60% turnout.
I take 2 things from that:
1) first past the post no longer works - it's hardly a ringing endorsement for Labour, whose vote share rose 2%!
2) people just don't trust politics in this country these days

Proportional representation is the only way forward, it provides a better representation of the vote and would likely encourage more to vote as they'd feel it could count for something.

(I voted Conservative in 2019, I voted Green this time around as they were the party telling it like it is)

Not sure you can read too much into the share of the vote given that there was clearly a lot of tactical voting.

The bottom line is that with Labour, LibDems and Greens we have a parliament stuffed full of centre left Members.

No doubt the Tories will ramp up their culture wars trying to out **** the cunts (Reform) but for now anyway they are an irrelevance.

I don’t have many kind things to say about the Conservatives and what they’ve done to this country but there are some small things that do give me hope… Robert Buckland’s concession speech was excellent, and goes to show there are still a few Tory’s sprinkled in there who would resist the party’s lurch to the right.

Secondly, Sunak, for all his flaws, knew when he was beaten and is facilitating a peaceful transition of power. This might seem like a bare minimum but you only have to look over the pond to see how easily that will to maintain order in democracy can easily fall apart.

I hope that we now start to address some of the problems that have led to the rise of Reform, mainly the sorry state of public services that has encouraged people to allocate blame in unfair ways. Also the misinformation that is now endemic because of the manner in which people get their news these days and the lack of accountability in media companies.

I think Keir is a decent man at heart. And he’s clearly capable, you don’t get so far in the CPS without being capable. I just hope and ask that he finds it in himself to be bold where it’s called for, and take the actions that are actually going to make a difference in people’s lives. Show Europe the path to prosperity is not through populism but through moderate and honest governance with some solid and compassionate left wing ideas sprinkled in there.

MPs who are republicans usually take the oath with their fingers obviously crossed behind their backs.
In any case the GFA requires them to obey the law while working democratically to change it. Fair enough, but they can’t pick and choose and the law requires the oath.
So the only way for republicans to change the law requiring the oath of allegiance is to take the oath of allegiance as a condition of taking their elected place in the legislature?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.