General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
This is Johnson this afternoon....

Boris Johnson has said he will win a new Brexit deal at next month’s EU summit by using his “powers of persuasion”, and rejected calls for a further extension to article 50.

The prime minister said he had no plans to accept the new legislation which would require him to write to the EU asking for a “pointless” delay to Brexit, during a visit to Aberdeenshire on Friday.

“We’ve spent a long time trying to sort of fudge this thing and I think the British public really want us to get out. They don’t want more dither and delay,” he said after encountering a prize bull called Keene at a beef farm near Banchory.

Asked how he would deliver a new deal at the EU summit on 17 October, he said:

By powers of persuasion. Because there’s absolutely no doubt we should come out …. It’s a pointless delay.

And on the prospects of a general election....

He claimed Jeremy Corbyn was making a mistake in refusing to back an early election. He said:

I think it is the most sensational paradox. Never in history has there been an opposition party that has been given the chance to have an election and has turned it down. If I may say so, I think that they are making an extraordinary political mistake. But it’s their decision.

(Why Johnson would want an early election if it was also advantageous to Labour to have one was not explained.)

So....

The prime minister said he had no plans to accept the new legislation which would require him to write to the EU asking for a “pointless” delay to Brexit, during a visit to Aberdeenshire on Friday.

So he's not going to do as Parliament instructs. Then he's daring Parliament to remove him with a no confidence motion? Unless I'm reading it wrong.

This is Johnson this afternoon....

Boris Johnson has said he will win a new Brexit deal at next month’s EU summit by using his “powers of persuasion”, and rejected calls for a further extension to article 50.

“We’ve spent a long time trying to sort of fudge this thing and I think the British public really want us to get out. They don’t want more dither and delay,” he said after encountering a prize bull called Keene at a beef farm near Banchory.

Asked how he would deliver a new deal at the EU summit on 17 October, he said:

By powers of persuasion. Because there’s absolutely no doubt we should come out …. It’s a pointless delay.

And on the prospects of a general election....

He claimed Jeremy Corbyn was making a mistake in refusing to back an early election. He said:

I think it is the most sensational paradox. Never in history has there been an opposition party that has been given the chance to have an election and has turned it down. If I may say so, I think that they are making an extraordinary political mistake. But it’s their decision.

(Why Johnson would want an early election if it was also advantageous to Labour to have one was not explained.)

So....

So he's not going to do as Parliament instructs. Then he's daring Parliament to remove him with a no confidence motion? Unless I'm reading it wrong.

All seems fair enough to me.

Labour obviously don't want an election for fear of losing it. All this talk of wanting Oct 31 out of the way is bollocks, they could easily require the election date to be set in law. No-one is buying any other excuse other than "we're scared we'd lose".

If what Labour was offering the public made such good sense and if the public genuinely don't want to the leave the EU, or want a second referendum on it, then Labour would win a GE and that would be the end of it. That they won't agree to one, speaks volumes indeed.

Not only does it speak of their cowardice, it also tells you they are not interested in democracy. They are not interested in what the people might want. The people have said they want to leave. We've agreed to leave on October 31st. Labour are seeking to deny not only that, but also for the people to even be able to vote on it again.

Never take polls as a given Theresa will vouch for that and just watch his stock plummet once 31st October passes and we are still in

I spot a minor flaw in your argument.

Not to mention the fact that I cannot imagine there is a single hard line Brexit supporter in the UK who is unhappy with Johnson's efforts to get it done by October 31st.

What on earth would they have him do??? The only reputations being (further) trashed are those of the idiots on the other side of the house, deliberately blocking progress and who can't even decide what their own position is on whether they'd campaign in or out in another referendum.

One side comes across as clear, committed and earnestly trying to deliver on something people voted for. Whereas the other comes across as shifty, cowardly, opportunistic and disrespecting of democracy.

And you reckon Johnson's stock will plummet? Take a look over your shoulder mate.

Last edited:
Never take polls as a given Theresa will vouch for that and just watch his stock plummet once 31st October passes and we are still in

I’m pretty happy with the above.

Corbyn’s strengths are in the build up to an election and with Johnson’s sliding support and Corbyn’s later showings for the remain cause, he’ll quickly eat away at that.

I spot a minor flaw in your argument.

Not to mention the fact that I cannot imagine there is a single hard line Brexit supporter in the UK who is unhappy with Johnson's efforts to get it done by October 31st.

What on earth would they have him do??? The only reputations being (further) trashed are those of the idiots on the other side of the house, deliberately blocking progress and who can't even decide what their own position is on whether they'd campaign in or out in another referendum.

One side comes across as clear, committed and earnestly trying to deliver on something people voted for. Whereas the other comes across as shifty, cowardly, opportunistic and disrespecting of democracy.

And you reckon Johnson's stock will plummet? Take a look over your shoulder mate.

Johnson is worse than May.

The man is totally fucked.

He avoided debates like the plaque for the story leadership, imagine what he’s going to do for a GE?

All seems fair enough to me.

Labour obviously don't want an election for fear of losing it. All this talk of wanting Oct 31 out of the way is bollocks, they could easily require the election date to be set in law. No-one is buying any other excuse other than "we're scared we'd lose".

If what Labour was offering the public made such good sense and if the public genuinely don't want to the leave the EU, or want a second referendum on it, then Labour would win a GE and that would be the end of it. That they won't agree to one, speaks volumes indeed.

Not only does it speak of their cowardice, it also tells you they are not interested in democracy. They are not interested in what the people might want. The people have said they want to leave. We've agreed to leave on October 31st. Labour are seeking to deny not only that, but also for the people to even be able to vote on it again.

keeping-up-appearances-quotes-people-of-substance.jpg

I am not counting my chickens yet but all this sounds beautiful!!

But Johnson realizes that one of the few cards he has to play, is to refuse to do as Parliament instructs, and then daring them to bring him down and place Corbyn at the head of an interim government.

But if he is removed with a vote of no confidence then this explains all the scenarios and it isn't clear what the outcome will be.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46890481
Who would call it ? unless the government themselves do there is no reason the opposition would, even if Johnson does he would need opposition and or the rebels he's thrown out to vote against the government. Plus could the PM and cabinet be seen voting for no confidence in itself , then ask the electorate to back it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.