General Election - December 12th, 2019

Who will you vote for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 160 30.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 230 44.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 59 11.4%
  • Green Party

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Plaid Cymru/SNP

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters
He has to force Johnson to resign first.

And he doesn’t get the call to the palace until he can demonstrate that he has enough support to form a government

That's not entirely true.

If Johnson loses a no confidence vote his government is finished, he could squat in No 10 for a while, as Gordon Brown did waiting for Cameron and Clegg to get their act together back in 2010, but the Queen would be required to invite the leader of the second largest party, to see if he could form a government, and he'd have 14 days to do it.

Happy to be corrected if wrong.

That's not entirely true.

If Johnson loses a no confidence vote his government is finished, he could squat in No 10 for a while, as Gordon Brown did waiting for Cameron and Clegg to get their act together back in 2010, but the Queen would be required to invite the leader of the second largest party, to see if he could form a government, and he'd have 14 days to do it.

Happy to be corrected if wrong.
It’s been claimed that the Queen’s permanent advisers were greatly pissed off with the drafting of the FTPA because it failed to clarify the role of the Queen in the 14 day period. Apparently they raised this with Cameron and Clegg who were happy for the act to be vague. Consequently the palace have taken the view that if there are any issues over what happens during the 14 day period then it’s up to parliament to sort it out. If true, then the Queen wouldn’t intervene to force Johnson’s resignation.

But even if Johnson was prepared to resign it doesn’t follow that the palace would accept his resignation and send for Corbyn. The priority for the Palace is to ensure the continuing day to day running of HM’s Government. The nightmare scenario for them is that the incumbent PM resigns and whoever turns up next is immediately toppled in parliament. Because then, who is minding the shop? Who has their finger on the nuclear button? who deals with any crises? If there is any doubt over whether a new PM could survive a confidence vote then the palace’s strong preference would be for the incumbent PM and government to stay in place pending an election.

In 2010 Brown only resigned and advised the Queen to send for Cameron after both the conservative and Lib Dem parties formally approved the coalition agreement. If the Lib Dem’s had failed to agree to support either labour or the Tories we we would have been looking at another election, with Brown staying on as PM until it could be held.

It’s been claimed that the Queen’s permanent advisers were greatly pissed off with the drafting of the FTPA because it failed to clarify the role of the Queen in the 14 day period. Apparently they raised this with Cameron and Clegg who were happy for the act to be vague. Consequently the palace have taken the view that if there are any issues over what happens during the 14 day period then it’s up to parliament to sort it out. If true, then the Queen wouldn’t intervene to force Johnson’s resignation.

But even if Johnson was prepared to resign it doesn’t follow that the palace would accept his resignation and send for Corbyn. The priority for the Palace is to ensure the continuing day to day running of HM’s Government. The nightmare scenario for them is that the incumbent PM resigns and whoever turns up next is immediately toppled in parliament. Because then, who is minding the shop? Who has their finger on the nuclear button? who deals with any crises? If there is any doubt over whether a new PM could survive a confidence vote then the palace’s strong preference would be for the incumbent PM and government to stay in place pending an election.

In 2010 Brown only resigned and advised the Queen to send for Cameron after both the conservative and Lib Dem parties formally approved the coalition agreement. If the Lib Dem’s had failed to agree to support either labour or the Tories we we would have been looking at another election, with Brown staying on as PM until it could be held.

Thanks.

My guess would be that in that case the no confidence vote would have to make specific reference to an interim government.

Johnson could hole up in No 10, but the cavalry wouldn't be coming to save him, the pressure for him to fuck off would be immense, he'd look weak and impotent because he would be weak and impotent, I can't see his poll numbers going anywhere but south in those circumstances.

What is this Poundland fascist up to now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-49557734

Farage would back Johnson if he made no-deal promise

30575a57-30d2-4c5f-9f98-4bab644b6fd5.jpg

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage says his party members would not stand against Conservative candidates in an election if Boris Johnson promised to leave the EU without a deal.

“If Boris Johnson says look, we're leaving, we're going to have a clean break, we will after that negotiate a trade agreement and no more... Of course, if Boris Johnson said that we the Brexit Party would put country before party," he said.

"We'd say to Mr Johnson right, we want to help you in any way we can - but I'm afraid that's not what the prime minister wants to do."

Mr Farage added: "If Boris Johnson has got the courage to do the right thing, I will be his best friend and back him all the way."

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage says his party members would not stand against Conservative candidates in an election if Boris Johnson promised to leave the EU without a deal.

“If Boris Johnson says look, we're leaving, we're going to have a clean break, we will after that negotiate a trade agreement and no more... Of course, if Boris Johnson said that we the Brexit Party would put country before party," he said.

"We'd say to Mr Johnson right, we want to help you in any way we can - but I'm afraid that's not what the prime minister wants to do."

Mr Farage added: "If Boris Johnson has got the courage to do the right thing, I will be his best friend and back him all the way."

"we would put country before party"
Lmao

The fact that this **** has been given the keys to the country is the thing I most detest about Brexit.

Among other things, a 'clean break' doesn't really exist..

So let's say we have an election, I think we can safely say that Labour won't win but the Lib Dems could win a few seats as could the Brexit Party - Johnson then goes to the EU, gets what he believes is a good deal, puts it to the vote but doesn't get through in part because the BP want a 'clean break' and round and round we go

Among other things, a 'clean break' doesn't really exist..

So let's say we have an election, I think we can safely say that Labour won't win but the Lib Dems could win a few seats as could the Brexit Party - Johnson then goes to the EU, gets what he believes is a good deal, puts it to the vote but doesn't get through in part because the BP want a 'clean break' and round and round we go
His idea of a clean break is no deal, but in reality it will be a complete mess

Thanks.

My guess would be that in that case the no confidence vote would have to make specific reference to an interim government.

Johnson could hole up in No 10, but the cavalry wouldn't be coming to save him, the pressure for him to fuck off would be immense, he'd look weak and impotent because he would be weak and impotent, I can't see his poll numbers going anywhere but south in those circumstances.
It’s been suggested that an interim government would have to demonstrate it had sufficient support, eg by a public notice signed by a majority of MP’s. Perhaps it would be sufficient if the leaders of enough opposition parties + enough Tory MPs signed a declaration of support in favour of the interim PM.

But the fact that Corbyn, Swinson, sturgeon etc haven’t got their ducks in a row yet, means it’s very unlikely that they could get to that stage quickly enough following a no confidence vote. They’re not really trying to do the ground work for an interim government because it’s stuck in the “too difficult” tray.

Possible scenario for you:
No G.E is called as labour don't back it, no deal brexit happens and it's a colossal mess.

Would labour not be in a stronger position after a no deal takes place?
You've missed out a stage
a GE only happens if Boris is defeated today,
if he is the law will compel him to ask for a Brexit extension,
if won't he will try for a dissolution under the Fixed Term Parliament Act
if Bercow etc prevent that he would have to resign and some other bozo will become PM
a GE would follow in which Boris and the Tories would be toast and probably Brexit as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.