General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Others like, your parents, for example who you earlier implied needed financial help because they made aspirational decisions that didn't pan out.

And I've not "lost the plot". What I'm doing is describing to you what society actually is because you previously seemed to have no idea of it.

You are confusing your left wing idealisation of society with reality. And as for my parents they paid tax and did not fall back on state aid even when times were tough. We as a family worked doubly hard to stave off bankruptcy and they eventually were able to retire in relative comfort. We took responsibility for our plight rather than turning to the state.

You are confusing your left wing idealisation of society with reality. And as for my parents they paid tax and did not fall back on state aid even when times were tough. We as a family worked doubly hard to stave off bankruptcy and they eventually were able to retire in relative comfort. We took responsibility for our plight rather than turning to the state.
Out of curiosity do you live in the UK? Just curious.

This Libertarianism after the fact is the stupidest of all political positions.

I'll tell you what, Somalia has no state controlled entities and is essentially the "tiny Government with no spending". Can you explain why it's not currently a capitalist paradise and you aren't living there?

And don't use the term "logically" when you mean "in my opinion".

Don't tell me what term I can or cannot use, you cheeky sod. If an entity is shit at something, LOGICALLY, you should get a more competent entity to do it. Unless you'd prefer we played Bravo in goal in perpetuity?

So have the Tories announced the construction of a giant statue of John Major yet?

They could literally do anything and they'd still get into power.
And that is what a lot on here really go out of their way to avoid facing up to / discussing

GE before last - a coalition government

Last GE - very small majority

This GE - seemingly a landslide majority - WHY??

Perhaps objective people would question the Labour party's message - no??

Or some people feel better to ignore that and just excuse Labour and blame the Tories - where is the logic?

This version of capitalism is like the bookie putting both horses, in a two horse race at 2-1. We, the tax payers, are handing over cash to private 'risk-takers', for them to take a wedge and pay us back the rest. As if that wasn't mad enough, Virgin's parent company is listed in British Virgin Islands, a sunny tax haven that is some distance from the West coast mainline. Branson once described it as; 'a licence to print money, it can't go wrong'. To be fair though, even if it did go wrong, he can just walk away and the public sector will pick it up, turn a profit and pass it on to the next cab on the rank! Heads they win, tails they win, coin lands on its side they win. It's a brilliant scam (I mean scheme, obviously).

Sorry - I misread that - thought for a moment the EU was being discussed.

TBF, I have a personal belief that the nation's infrastructure should be kept within the nation's direct control. This neither means that I support re-nationalisation or their control by German owned companies - there has to be a 3rd model

Edit to say that I was only be lighthearted with the regards that first bit - before somebody jumps all over me

Last edited:
Indeed. State ownership in Britain by Britain = Bad. State ownership in Britain by Germany, Spain and France = Good.

Billions in profits are being siphoned off to fund infrastructure in other EU countries.

YCNMTSU.

It is fundamentally different though. The relationship between the UK government and a foreign company doesn't fundamentally change depending on whether that company is state or privately owned. It makes little difference to us whether EDF is state or privately owned, it would be treated just the same with regard to its UK operations.

The relationship between the UK government and a state owned UK company is fundamentally different to its relationship with UK private companies. With state ownership come conflicts of interest. When setting prices for state owned businesses there is the obvious conflict that lower prices mean reduced income for the government. Governments are more likely to interfere in wage settlements in a state owned company than private companies. In the past, governments have interfered in capital investment decisions purely for political reasons.

Just a question on inheritance tax, when the queen dies and all her non crown assets become charlies, does he pay inheritance tax or as king is he exempt?

Genuinly don't know and wondered.

Just a question on inheritance tax, when the queen dies and all her non crown assets become charlies, does he pay inheritance tax or as king is he exempt?

I do not know either but I strongly suspect that if there is not a special dispensation as she is the queen then provisions will have already been made to ensure her estate is not subject to inheritance tax

Re this recent news on funding of social care - surely everybody with aging parents who have assets will ensure action is taken so that they are transferred to the children so that the parents only show 99k worth of assets

Last edited:

no.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...hment_data/file/208633/mou_royal_taxation.pdf

1.10 In relation to assets which can properly be regarded as private, the arrangements provide that inheritance tax will not be paid on gifts or bequests from one Sovereign to the next, but will be payable on gifts and bequests to anyone else. Tax will also not be payable on assets passing to the Sovereign on the death of a consort of a former Sovereign. The reasons for not taxing assets passing to the next Sovereign are that private assets such as Sandringham and Balmoral have official as well as private use, and that the Monarchy as an institution needs sufficient private resources to enable it to continue to perform its traditional role in national life, and to have a degree of financial independence from the Government of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.