General UFC thread

I don't get where all the hate towards McGregor is coming from.

He can come across as arrogant but he is participating in a sport where gaining the mental edge can be the difference between winning and losing. Aside from the pre-fight bravado, he comes across as a very humble guy IMO.

At his natural weight he has blown his rivals away and we should get behind competitors who want to take risks and improve. You only have to look at boxing to see how they are more interested in money than entertainment.

McGregor is a huge name in the UFC and has a huge Irish following. He could have fought some lesser fighters at his weight and picked up an easy win and pay day. He could have also insisted on Diaz having a catchweight.

The fact he thought he was good enough to beat a very good fighter who was a good two weights above him shows he wants to entertain the fans.

It's his cockiness that I don't like. During the fight he was gobbing off constantly, until he got picked off that is.

McGregor is a huge name in the UFC and has a huge Irish following. He could have fought some lesser fighters at his weight and picked up an easy win and pay day. He could have also insisted on Diaz having a catchweight.

The fact he thought he was good enough to beat a very good fighter who was a good two weights above him shows he wants to entertain the fans.

I think he's great for MMA just look how many people are following it now, and to lose to someone who's martial arts is superior might just give Jiu-Jitsu following a boost as people will start to discover its not all about stand up. Also I guess with thousands and thousands of Irish fans travelling to Vegas there is an expectation to fight for them and perform for your fans, hence the jump to 170, to get a fight for them.

The jump was too much to take and preparing for 1 fighter and then that fight gets called off and trying to prepare for a bigger guy he tried to bite a bit too much this time and got caught. He is still a champion and he will defend his title and could sell out Croke Park smashing all the records in the UFC history and I think its a wise move for both Connor and UFC to get that fight asap in Croke Park as if this is the start of his downfall best all cash out sooner rather than later. I can knock him he has a lot of fans for taking the risky fight he wont be the only guy to tap in UFC but he can learn and come back stronger. Get him in the Gunni Nelson more and try and work more on his ground game as his striking is so good and timing of his hits are second to none. Feel sorry for him as he has more pull outs happening to him and then he has to rebuild up to another fight on short notice when he should be in the gym. I am guessing now if anyone pulls out late on him he may well think again about fighting at such sort notice.

He got $10 million and Diaz got $1 million, I don't feel sorry for him. Irish love banging on about followings as well, first frampton now this guy. No wonder they are obsessed with our 'empty' seats over at the swamp

Never understood why people use a fighters pre-fight comments to bash them with after a loss. They almost never actually mean them and just say stupid over the top stuff to hype the fight.

The jump up in weight and size was too much for him. I congratulate Connor though on taking the risk that the majority of UFC fighters never take.

I see Jon Jones was making fun of the guy. This from the same guy that refused a different smaller opponent on day's notice when last night Connor took a bigger different opponent on 10 days notice.

It's his cockiness that I don't like. During the fight he was gobbing off constantly, until he got picked off that is.

Lol so true, giving it the mouth all fight then when that left hook landed you can see on his face inside he was thinking 'oh f@ck' lol. Never been so happy to see someone lose. There's one thing being confident and selling a fight, but running your mouth about other fighters, calling them skint and stuff is low. He'll lose more fights now IMO, three things learnt from last night, suspect chin, average cardio, ZERO ground game. He need to go back to fighting guys he has a size advantage over.

Lol so true, giving it the mouth all fight then when that left hook landed you can see on his face inside he was thinking 'oh f@ck' lol. Never been so happy to see someone lose. There's one thing being confident and selling a fight, but running your mouth about other fighters, calling them skint and stuff is low. He'll lose more fights now IMO, three things learnt from last night, suspect chin, average cardio, ZERO ground game. He need to go back to fighting guys he has a size advantage over.
Everyone of them 'three things learnt' are only problems that fighting at 170 increases. The only thing we learnt is 170 is a step too far. Even Conor knew that, he never talked about going up to 170 seriously until the Diaz fight was announced. I guarantee Conor destroys his next opponent at 145 and then this fight is used as buildup to the RDA fight and then Conor throws that left hand and RDA falls.

Everyone of them 'three things learnt' are only problems that fighting at 170 increases. The only thing we learnt is 170 is a step too far. Even Conor knew that, he never talked about going up to 170 seriously until the Diaz fight was announced. I guarantee Conor destroys his next opponent at 145 and then this fight is used as buildup to the RDA fight and then Conor throws that left hand and RDA falls.

Hmmm, yes he has talked about going to 170 and pre fight was saying he's stronger and fitter than ever because he wasn't drained. He may have learned his lesson now however don't doubt that and you are right he should go back down and fight guys he has a bigger reach than clearly diaz's size bothered him. Pretty sure his ground game has always been in question and last night just proved he's far from elite in that regard. He talked a big game, got carried away with himself and has been humbled. Imagine what Lawler would do to the guy? I imagine RDA is pretty pissed now

I thought his stand up game was very good, although he was lazy with his guard and you cant afford to do that facing these bigger guys. I think he took the Diaz fight because he didn't want to disappoint after Dos Anjos dropped out but fighting someone of Diaz's quality he should have taken another few weeks to train properly.

Big mistake was taking Diaz to the floor after he took a couple of big shots, as others have said, his jits are not good and Diaz is on another level, school boy error IMO.

Fair play to him though, if he could have covered up more and avoided the ground he would have had a fair chance going toe to toe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.