General UFC thread

Conor was absolutely destroying diaz, then got abit too cocky when he cut him, fair play tho, was a great fight

I don't get the talk of overconfidence, i think he was gassed from throwing them kicks that were absolutely nowhere near Diaz. Maybe he has overconfidence in his pre fight talk but its clear he didn't go into the Aldo fight overconfident as he waited for Aldo to throw the shot that Conor knew he could capitalise on.

I don't get the talk of overconfidence, i think he was gassed from throwing them kicks that were absolutely nowhere near Diaz. Maybe he has overconfidence in his pre fight talk but its clear he didn't go into the Aldo fight overconfident as he waited for Aldo to throw the shot that Conor knew he could capitalise on.
Your exactly right that Ido portal has been teaching him them redicalous kicks ,he kept missing and it knocked the energy out of him he looked lethargic as well eating to much food does that to ya, he's a lightweight fighter 155 is his best weight I feel 170 is over doing it

Really don't understand this statement!

Kicks do not sap you any more than throwing punch combinations, if your technique is sound enough. Conor's was very sound.

He threw them to mix up his attack/ reach his opponent as he was missing with his punches far too much. Accumulative punches and being unaccustomed to the weight at match competition 'gassed' him.

I can see that and I'm critical of McG as a fighter as I'm not sold on him!

Well well well... Ego over-rules yet another fighter.

Connor's game plan was piss poor. Even I know to hit that belly of Nate's with my shin and I ain't no where near UFC level.
He just let his Ego over-rule any composition and instead wanted to bang... But fair play to the lad, he is entertainment.

As for this "hate" directed towards Connor, it's all hype, it's literally WWE level of bullshit during the pre-fight talk crap, but it gets the mass joe public hyped up.
Like kids in the playground shouting: fight! fight! fight!

From the clothes he wears, to what he says, everything - it's the persona that sells the product. This is his job!!!

Criticise the guy by all means when he's performing like this at his natural weight.
Wouldn't surprise me to see his Ego over-rule again and get caught (even by someone lighter who wouldn't bang as hard)

he'll be forgotten about in a few years. Real legends aren't forgotten about such as Anderson Silva who lost the other week as well...

he'll be forgotten about in a few years.

I disagree. You mentioned yourself how 'WWE' he is (I agree, it's like Wrestlemania with real fights), and he's really increased the profile of the whole UFC. I think as it becomes more and more mainstream, Conor will be remembered for really helping push it.

Always thought McG was a fraud. No way he 145 featherweight fighter, have you seen him on weigh ins looks like a 10 year heroin addict. Also not having this " gone up in weight difficult" He should be fighting at 155 - 170 that's his naturel weight. Diaz had a 2 inch reach over him McG had a 4 inch reach over Aldo. Not easy now is it Conner, and less said about his ground the better couldn't tap quick enough

I disagree. You mentioned yourself how 'WWE' he is (I agree, it's like Wrestlemania with real fights), and he's really increased the profile of the whole UFC. I think as it becomes more and more mainstream, Conor will be remembered for really helping push it.
Yes he'll be remembered by the mainstream public, but I was referring to the martial arts community and judging Connor on the martial arts achievements, not MMA.

People like Nate Diaz have Gracie black belts. To the Joe public who don't understand, this is like a world cup winners medal/Olympic gold, all "rolled" into one alongside a high-level masters degree at Oxford Uni.
Same with Anderson Silva.

They are higher level martial artists.

Mcgregor steps up to this level.... what happens? He's tapped out.
I'm not surprised one bit... shooting for a fucking guy who's a Gracie BB.... haha that's daft.

Mcgregor is like the McDonald's of the restaurant world.
Everybody knows about it, will eat it, even though it's shit.

Higher level martial artists are the Michelin star places.... and he ain't getting a Michelin star as he's primarily a showman.

I love the guy, he's brought so much attention to a sport I've followed for 20+yrs and competed in (at a very basic level)
I'll always respect the lad for helping do this.

Even my Nan knows what MMA is now and enjoys it because of this lad... but when I was doing it she disapproved and had all the usual negative views about "cagefighting"

I'm just waiting for the little kids now who have been dragged more into the dojo's from their parents who watch MMA, who've been doing MMA since they were born, to step up and then you'll see better levels of ability.

Some places have taken advantage of the sports popularity and become Jack of all trade gyms... avoid!
If parents are taking their kids to properly recognised BJJ dojo's with accreditation and then separately to say a Muay Thai gym for their standup game... this kid will be much more trained than a kid who's been to these MMA gyms which claim to teach everything all in one.

No no... it's like going to those buffet places which sell Italian, Indian and Chinese all in the same place... you'll get shit.

Michelin star baby.

We will see absolute superior martial artists from the UK soon.. and I can't wait to see it :)
Sadly, a lot of the mainstream public who like to just watch a playground pub type fight will find two guys escaping, attempting subs, transitioning for the whole fight.... it can be boring for people who don't understand.

Really don't understand this statement!

Kicks do not sap you any more than throwing punch combinations, if your technique is sound enough. Conor's was very sound.

He threw them to mix up his attack/ reach his opponent as he was missing with his punches far too much. Accumulative punches and being unaccustomed to the weight at match competition 'gassed' him.

I can see that and I'm critical of McG as a fighter as I'm not sold on him!
I am probably biased as i love his outrageous quotes. However like I've said before people are forgetting Conor had a full training camp for a 155 fight not a fight at 170. This is most likely why he was gassed however what I'm saying is that his kicks were not working yet he threw like 8-10 and this didn't help. And yeah i also agree with you that diaz did an excellent job at making Conor not find his range.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.