General Videogame Thread

One of the cons about the next gen technology is games take longer to develop as little details can be enhanced a lot more than before.

I know. It just comes to a point where the wait is too long and you're a different person with different tastes by the time it finally comes out.

I mean if 2025 is the actual release date we're talking about a 12 year gap.

2013 - GTA 5
2013 - Grand Theft Auto Online
2025 - GTA 6

I know the 'quality' isn't as good but look at the same 12 year gap from GTA 3

2001 - GTA 3
2002 - GTA Vice City
2004 - GTA San Andreas
2004 - GTA Advance
2005 - Liberty City Stories
2006 - Vice City Stories
2008 - GTA 4
2009 - Two major single player DLCs for GTA 4
2009 - GTA Chinatown Wars

Then you have all the mobile ports for GTA 3, GTA Vice City and most of the games above ported as well.

I'm surprised we haven't seen GTA 4 on mobile yet to be honest.

I know. It just comes to a point where the wait is too long and you're a different person with different tastes by the time it finally comes out.

2013 - GTA 5
2025 - GTA 6

2001 - GTA 3
2002 - GTA Vice City
2004 - GTA San Andreas
2004 - GTA Advance
2006 - Vice City Stories
2008 - GTA 4

Then you have all the mobile ports for GTA 3, GTA Vice City and most of the games above ported as well.

I fully agree with you. But I don’t think they’re taking the piss when it comes to releasing these sort of games, it’s just the reality of how long a game like Red Dead or GTA takes to create. I know that’s a mental thing to say seeing as we haven’t seen a new GTA for 8 years, but I’m just going off previous articles and quotes regarding how much man power and time it takes to build a game like this.

2013 - GTA 5
2025 - GTA 6

2001 - GTA 3
2002 - GTA Vice City
2004 - GTA San Andreas
2004 - GTA Advance
2006 - Vice City Stories
2008 - GTA 4

Serious question, When you have a game making $1bn a year why would you make a sequel that will only kill/significantly eat into that revenue?

Just finished Narata Boy and Katana Zero off Gamepass. 2 amazing 8 bit games.

The industry has mangled itself in a way. There was a graphics / processing war going on with PC parts / hardware developers and the console industry was also engaged in a battle of superiority with massive processing power now available. I suspect that the there will never be games that require the processing power of the top spec PC available currently. maybe you can have over 100 fps in a very graphics heavy game where an average pc might do 30. But only the trained eye would spot that difference.

But at the same time its getting very difficult to make games that use this power (see GTA) and something like Minecraft that works fine on a 10 year old PC is one of the top selling games every year irrespective of what they do with it. The streaming / online games work best when developed with a low budget / low tech and make money in game or from merch (fortnight / roblox).

So the time money going into GTA is wasted - kids will still be playing minecraft when it comes out.

I speak to a few industry veterans on a regular basis due to work, and they're convinced GTA 6 is 2025 at the earliest. Even then, it might not even feel like the kind of GTA that many want it to be. It'll likely be less focused on story, and more of an online evolving map for multiplayer purposes. GTA as we once knew it is dead now IMO. It's gotten too big. The highest grossing media franchise of all time. You don't rip up that business model and start again - the suits won't allow it.

Maybe if we're lucky we'll get modern remakes of the earlier games or something.

The industry has mangled itself in a way. There was a graphics / processing war going on with PC parts / hardware developers and the console industry was also engaged in a battle of superiority with massive processing power now available. I suspect that the there will never be games that require the processing power of the top spec PC available currently. maybe you can have over 100 fps in a very graphics heavy game where an average pc might do 30. But only the trained eye would spot that difference.

But at the same time its getting very difficult to make games that use this power (see GTA) and something like Minecraft that works fine on a 10 year old PC is one of the top selling games every year irrespective of what they do with it. The streaming / online games work best when developed with a low budget / low tech and make money in game or from merch (fortnight / roblox).

So the time money going into GTA is wasted - kids will still be playing minecraft when it comes out.
At least with consoles its a static target ( ignoring any "Pro" editions ). And due to that your going to eek out as much out of a console as you can. in 3/4 years you will start to really see what the hardware can do. the PC market is a never ended march forward processing wise so you will never manage to get the most out of it.

I speak to a few industry veterans on a regular basis due to work, and they're convinced GTA 6 is 2025 at the earliest. Even then, it might not even feel like the kind of GTA that many want it to be. It'll likely be less focused on story, and more of an online evolving map for multiplayer purposes. GTA as we once knew it is dead now IMO. It's gotten too big. The highest grossing media franchise of all time. You don't rip up that business model and start again - the suits won't allow it.

Maybe if we're lucky we'll get modern remakes of the earlier games or something.

The gap between games in franchises is ridiculous now.

Morrowind - 2002
Oblicion - 2006
Skyrim - 2011
TES 6 - 2024 maybe?

Fallout 3 - 2008
Fallout NV - 2010
Fallout 4 - 2014
Fallout 5 - 2025 maybe?

There was no Elder Scrolls game in the entire PS4/XBone generation. Even series like Final Fantasy which could always be relied on to churn out a game every 2 or 3 years is going to go 6 or 7 between XV and XVI and Microsoft has gone from pumping out Halo games every other year to 5 year gaps.

I'm not sure how these franchises are supposed to develop fans when you could go from too young to play, to being a grown adult with all sorts or responsibilities and no time without ever seeing a game.

Last edited:
Serious question, When you have a game making $1bn a year why would you make a sequel that will only kill/significantly eat into that revenue?
Is the correct answer. No game takes 12 years to make, as anything you did even 8 years ago would be obsolete and need redoing before you could release it. The reality is they make enough money still from gta online that they simply aren't in a hurry to make another, hugely expensive single player game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.