General Videogame Thread

Something like Ark:survival evolved, or the long dark, or even no man's sky sounds like something you're after if it's the surivial base building type you're after. If it's more a chill story you want, abzu might fit your needs, or outer wilds is very highly thought of.
I love the long dark, keep going back to it (usually in the winter)and get hooked again.

I only play on interloper(hardest level),where having a piece of cloth, or a stick can be the difference between life and death, and with only having the one life it really is a satisfying challenge.

Of course, it isnt for everybody, graphics are likeable more than brilliantly realistic and there are no enemies as such to kill, and only wild animals and the elements can kill you. However, dying is usually a result of your own mistakes or paranoia.

If you survive for long enough it does get easier on account of you having crafted better clothing/weapons and it can then get a bit grindy to achieve hundreds of days survival.

The object of the game is just to survive, nothing more, and the game ends when your one life ends. A simple premise really, but every single game is different and has its own story, and if like me you "feel" for your character, you become surprisingly determined to stay alive.

There is a story mode which gets added to even now, and some intruiging challenge modes, but I only play the sandbox survival mode.

I bought it on steam back in development for £14.99, 2014 I think, and the developers havnt let me down, improving and increasing gameplay and modes ever since.

Something like Ark:survival evolved, or the long dark, or even no man's sky sounds like something you're after if it's the surivial base building type you're after. If it's more a chill story you want, abzu might fit your needs, or outer wilds is very highly thought of.

Ark is a poor man's Rust.

This is staggering.

At 13.4 million copies shipped, Elden Ring has made half the lifetime sales of the entry Dark Souls trilogy, while other games like Bloodborne and Sekiro don't come even close.

This is staggering.

At 13.4 million copies shipped, Elden Ring has made half the lifetime sales of the entry Dark Souls trilogy, while other games like Bloodborne and Sekiro don't come even close.
And how many binned it after a day because it’s so hard, those games give me nightmares, they need an easy level for old bastards like me, it looks fantastic but I’d end up throwing my controller through the tv within an hour.

And how many binned it after a day because it’s so hard, those games give me nightmares, they need an easy level for old bastards like me, it looks fantastic but I’d end up throwing my controller through the tv within an hour.

It’s the easiest Souls like game you can play its people who give up to early who say stuff like that!

My first ever souls game demon souls had me furious frustrated annoyed pissed no game ever had this type of game mechanics so you actually get nowhere you get killed go back to the beginning and you lose of your souls/ruins so you can’t even level up unless you can get those souls back without dying!

I was very very close to getting the disc out my console and smashing it into bits I was that frustrated but I stuck with it for days and days and once you get to know the game mechanics the game play the rewards was more than any game I’ve played at the time.

Personally Elden ring isn’t my number one souls game it’s my number one souls game for a first play through because it’s more for giving on first play through than any other souls game. I’m on my NG+ now and it’s not as satisfying as my NG+ with dark souls games and bloodborne.

In order of my favourite souls games

Dark souls 2
Bloodborne
Elden Ring
Dark souls 3
Demon souls
Dark souls

Never really been into computer games but many years ago I did get addicted to a game called Ages of the Empires and wanted to give that another go. Seems though that it isn't available for Macs. Anything similar that might be available for a Mac or video console?

The thing is with Souls games or any game from From Software is that they are quite linear.

So if you get to a boss or stage where your underleved or haven't got the right equipment you have nowhere to go and it's frustrating.

Elden Ring isn't like that. Yes it's tough at the start but because it's open world the great thing is if you find an enemy too hard you can just go somewhere else and level up, get better equipment and go back.

In terms of freedom and doing your own thing it really is one of the best open world's out there. I would definitely recommend giving it a go

Never really been into computer games but many years ago I did get addicted to a game called Ages of the Empires and wanted to give that another go. Seems though that it isn't available for Macs. Anything similar that might be available for a Mac or video console?
They remastered the original Age of Empires games fairly recently, updated graphics etc . Can sometimes pic them up for a fiver or so, shame it's not on Mac for you but it's on Xbox via gampass.

Thee are a few console ports too in a similar vein. Crusader Kings 3 is the newest, but also worth checking out Planet Coaster, Two Point Hospital, Northgard, Civilization VI, Rise of Nations. Stellaris too if you like space themes.

If you have an Xbox then gamepass is worth a look and I know they were looking into getting the gamepass app to work with iOS but not sure where that ended up

If you have a playstation like me then a few of the above are available there but it's a choice of either buying the game outright or seeing what pops up on the new playstation equivalent to gamepass when it launches in June.

I love the long dark, keep going back to it (usually in the winter)and get hooked again.

I only play on interloper(hardest level),where having a piece of cloth, or a stick can be the difference between life and death, and with only having the one life it really is a satisfying challenge.

Of course, it isnt for everybody, graphics are likeable more than brilliantly realistic and there are no enemies as such to kill, and only wild animals and the elements can kill you. However, dying is usually a result of your own mistakes or paranoia.

If you survive for long enough it does get easier on account of you having crafted better clothing/weapons and it can then get a bit grindy to achieve hundreds of days survival.

The object of the game is just to survive, nothing more, and the game ends when your one life ends. A simple premise really, but every single game is different and has its own story, and if like me you "feel" for your character, you become surprisingly determined to stay alive.

There is a story mode which gets added to even now, and some intruiging challenge modes, but I only play the sandbox survival mode.

I bought it on steam back in development for £14.99, 2014 I think, and the developers havnt let me down, improving and increasing gameplay and modes ever since.
Yeah I've played it and loved it. Currently am 100± days at mystery lake. Very different and good.

Check out the category on steam, Civilisation VI and Total war seem to be good options for mac.

Alternatively there is a work around for AOE:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.