General Videogame Thread

Thinking about building a gaming rig. Got around a £2000 budget, I want a fucking beast of a thing. What does everyone recommend?

Prices aren't your friend at the moment. Although I'd recommend the latest Ryzen's as a CPU, I got a 5800x a year or so ago and it's been great. I read that the 4000 series nvidias are close so maybe worth a wait then hit the 3000 series market. Disclaimer I only really look at new gear when I want a new build so am ayear out of touch.

Prices aren't your friend at the moment. Although I'd recommend the latest Ryzen's as a CPU, I got a 5800x a year or so ago and it's been great. I read that the 4000 series nvidias are close so maybe worth a wait then hit the 3000 series market. Disclaimer I only really look at new gear when I want a new build so am ayear out of touch.
4000 is close?! The 3000 series hasn’t even been out for two years! These big companies know how to make money don’t they haha.

Playing through Sniper Elite 5 at the moment, never played one before, quiet like the slow pace of the game as I sneak about, it’s taking me ages to do a mission, best of all it’s on Gamepass.

Really want to play this. Sounds like you Microsoft chaps are getting a great deal with game pass.

The souls games like dark souls 2 must got to N+ game 23 dark souls 3 N+ game 12 plus Bloodborne which was about N+ game 9 I played through them!

Now Elden rings first play utterly brilliant went to every part did 99% of npc story loved it took me weeks finish it, did N+ game speeded through it in a few hours! Now new game +3 getting bored of it maybe it’s the open world mode being to big!?

So my marks for Elden ring first play through 9.4/10

longevity game wise 4/10

dark soul 2 9.2/10

longevity 8/10

Dark souls 3 8.9/10

longevity 7.9/10

Bloodborne 9.7/10

longevity 8.5/10

TBH, now I think about it I can't remember where I saw it so could be bollocks. This 2080s is still going strong.
The rumour mill / leakers are pretty organised when it comes to GPUs. The Nvidia 4000s that would interest our friend are widely expected to launch around September.

The 4090 ("2xRTX3080" ballpark*) is launching mid to late July, followed by the 4080 and 4070. The 4060 will be a little slower to appear because it's based on the same chip as the 4070, and will likely undercut it with a better price/performance ratio.

No word on pricing for these yet, but stock levels are generally already returning to "normal", and GPU prices are only slightly nuts (I think there's likely another 25% to 50% coming off in the next year to eighteen months). Having said that, getting any card at launch is a crazy fucking business. Picking up a second hand card from people rashly selling in anticipation is a fairly reasonable strategy, lot of high end cards are put on the market in the days between the announcement and arrival in stores. EVGA will honour the warranty on second hand cards if you get the paperwork.

*Unlikely anyone will ever see 2x3080 performance, it's the top end of what the card should be achievable, but performance doesn't really scale in most situations, and NVidia would likely have to ship it with an >800w TDP to achieve the upper limit of performance. Which is not happening.

I'm sitting here with a 2070 that draws 175w, and wondering when this high-power draw madness will stop. I had a Vega 56 that did 250w and got rid because of the noise and heat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.