Genesis.

Love the band, Genesis. I'm not familiar with their full catalog, but am probably familiar with about 1/2 their songs... nonetheless my favorite songs of theirs are as follows:

I much prefer the Gabriel Genesis.....but strangely 'A trick of the tail' is my favourite of the lot, then lost interest as they slowly turned into a 'pop' band.
I have been tempted to put Trick of the Tail up in the album review....but thought too many would know it, since most posters in there are "of that age" ;)

I much prefer the Gabriel Genesis.....but strangely 'A trick of the tail' is my favourite of the lot, then lost interest as they slowly turned into a 'pop' band.
I have been tempted to put Trick of the Tail up in the album review....but thought too many would know it, since most posters in there are "of that age" ;)
Trick of the Tail is in my top ten albums forever

Funnily enough, because I heard Seconds Out before Trick, I’ve never been that fond of the studio album - on the live record the songs from it sounded so much better imho. Oh, and I really didn’t like Ripples!

The one shame about Seconds Out is that they never found room to squeeze Entangled on to it. What a track that was, especially the second half of it.

Steve’s?! I mean I love him and all that, go and see him every tour, as he’s the one keeping the flame alive, but his band?
He wouldn’t even claim that himself.

Trespass without him was a brilliant album which hinted at just what they were capable of. Personally I think their best music on balance came when he was in the band (and I also agree sides 3/4 of Seconds Out is probably my favourite live album … along with Alchemy, Paris, and Live After Death ;-)

But it was always - for better and sometimes for worse - Banks’s band. Some of the documentary and band member interview stuff in the last 20years that has come out pretty much confirms that too.

There were some brilliant post Hackett tracks too - 4 or 5 on the Mama album spring to mind especially, but also some of the music on Duke too.

Stuff like In Too Deep, Who Dunnit? was grim, but then back in the Hackett days we still had to suffer the odd monstrosity - More Fool Me anyone?
Each to their own mate and my choice of words could have been more accurate. What I should have said is that the loss of Hackett had a far greater impact on the bands music than when PG left and was a blow from which they never recovered musically. A guitar sound and a delicacy of arrangement they would lose for ever. Unlike you, I believe their music nose dived when he left. Their attempts at prog rock post Hackett are pale imitations of what went before. Trespass was a very inconsistent album with one or two standout tracks. Their creative peak ranged from Nursery Cryme to Seconds out. I have been fortunate to see them live from Foxtrot onwards and continue to attend SH annual jamboree.

Steve’s?! I mean I love him and all that, go and see him every tour, as he’s the one keeping the flame alive, but his band?
He wouldn’t even claim that himself.

Trespass without him was a brilliant album which hinted at just what they were capable of. Personally I think their best music on balance came when he was in the band (and I also agree sides 3/4 of Seconds Out is probably my favourite live album … along with Alchemy, Paris, and Live After Death ;-)

But it was always - for better and sometimes for worse - Banks’s band. Some of the documentary and band member interview stuff in the last 20years that has come out pretty much confirms that too.

There were some brilliant post Hackett tracks too - 4 or 5 on the Mama album spring to mind especially, but also some of the music on Duke too.

Stuff like In Too Deep, Who Dunnit? was grim, but then back in the Hackett days we still had to suffer the odd monstrosity - More Fool Me anyone?
Spot on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.