Genesis.

Yes enjoyed Duke, not so much Abacab and paused my retrospective there. I have though just cued up the tracks you’ve mentioned as I don’t know them although looking at the track listing of We Can’t Dance I’m familiar with a few of them.

Will have to echo whoever it was that mentioned the tracks from Seconds Out. Such a great live album that, Collins excelling on the vocals.
How did you get on with Duke?I think it's a great album. The ideal way to listen to it, is to go onto YouTube and type in Duke's Suite. That's the order 5/6 of the tracks should've been done on the album. The rest can be listened to in any order.

After Hackett left, I find bits of their stuff weren't to their previous level, but there's still plenty of gems.
Duke apart, listen to
Mama
Home by the sea/second home by the sea.
On the album We Can't Dance, there's Dreaming While You Sleep (a song about a hit and run accident.....listen to in darkness with headphones on) and Driving The Last Spike (about the building of the railways), which is imo Collins' finest Genesis moment. It was his lyrics, and some of his best drumming.

On the album they did with Ray Wilson, there's a few crackers, too. One Man's Fool, There Must Be Another Way and the title track Calling All Stations.

There really is no need to stop listening to a band, simply because some members have left. After all Genesis was ALWAYS Tony Banks' band.

How did you get on with Duke?I think it's a great album. The ideal way to listen to it, is to go onto YouTube and type in Duke's Suite. That's the order 5/6 of the tracks should've been done on the album. The rest can be listened to in any order.

After Hackett left, I find bits of their stuff weren't to their previous level, but there's still plenty of gems.
Duke apart, listen to
Mama
Home by the sea/second home by the sea.
On the album We Can't Dance, there's Dreaming While You Sleep (a song about a hit and run accident.....listen to in darkness with headphones on) and Driving The Last Spike (about the building of the railways), which is imo Collins' finest Genesis moment. It was his lyrics, and some of his best drumming.

On the album they did with Ray Wilson, there's a few crackers, too. One Man's Fool, There Must Be Another Way and the title track Calling All Stations.

There really is no need to stop listening to a band, simply because some members have left. After all Genesis was ALWAYS Tony Banks' band.
No it was always Steve’s . They lost their heart and soul after he left.

No it was always Steve’s . They lost their heart and soul after he left.
Steve’s?! I mean I love him and all that, go and see him every tour, as he’s the one keeping the flame alive, but his band?
He wouldn’t even claim that himself.

Trespass without him was a brilliant album which hinted at just what they were capable of. Personally I think their best music on balance came when he was in the band (and I also agree sides 3/4 of Seconds Out is probably my favourite live album … along with Alchemy, Paris, and Live After Death ;-)

But it was always - for better and sometimes for worse - Banks’s band. Some of the documentary and band member interview stuff in the last 20years that has come out pretty much confirms that too.

There were some brilliant post Hackett tracks too - 4 or 5 on the Mama album spring to mind especially, but also some of the music on Duke too.

Stuff like In Too Deep, Who Dunnit? was grim, but then back in the Hackett days we still had to suffer the odd monstrosity - More Fool Me anyone?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.