Genuine, Genuine Question...

SkyBlueFlux; stunning post, and it puts my shit into context really.

I suppose I should consider myself lucky, I only got 3 GCSEs as I've said on here before but here I am at Uni.

It's not education that's my problem, though.

Who knows what the point may or may not be...different for everyone I think.
I know that when everything is on top of me I like to get out into nature. Up a mountain or by the sea. Not sure it gives me any answers but it slows life down to a simpler level where i can just switch off the mental chatter and chill a bit more.

Ducado said:
We all have good and bad days, even bad weeks and sometimes life can appear to be a struggle, but it does help to see things and a self created dream, you are creating your own experience of life all the time moment to moment, think that life is a struggle then that's what it will be, put ten people in a room and show them something and the ten people will all experience something different, it's your mental perspective that is the difference.

You can't stop thinking, but you don't have to take your thoughts all that serious, far to often we get carried off by our thoughts, and soon we are lost in a thought created anxiety and depression, thoughts appear like clouds and drift off like clouds when you let them

Budda-esque there if you don't mind me saying so.

chabal said:
Ducado said:
We all have good and bad days, even bad weeks and sometimes life can appear to be a struggle, but it does help to see things and a self created dream, you are creating your own experience of life all the time moment to moment, think that life is a struggle then that's what it will be, put ten people in a room and show them something and the ten people will all experience something different, it's your mental perspective that is the difference.

You can't stop thinking, but you don't have to take your thoughts all that serious, far to often we get carried off by our thoughts, and soon we are lost in a thought created anxiety and depression, thoughts appear like clouds and drift off like clouds when you let them

Budda-esque there if you don't mind me saying so.

More Zen really ;)

If you've got 10,000 posts on a forum, you do have to question it.

;)

In all seriousness though, you can argue both sides. I suppose the question really is : is it worth having the good times if it always means there will be bad times in the future

Seosa said:
SkyBlueFlux; stunning post, and it puts my shit into context really.

I suppose I should consider myself lucky, I only got 3 GCSEs as I've said on here before but here I am at Uni.

It's not education that's my problem, though.

It's all a matter of perspective mate, a lot of people comment that I've been through a lot but it's all relative at the end of the day. How we deal with things in the here and now is entirely a product of our past experiences. I could almost consider myself lucky that I was dragged so low, because now I can enjoy how it feels to be where I am. Just being able to walk to university every day and enjoy the view of the Edinburgh countryside is a pleasure, the kind of which you might miss if you hadn't nearly lost it forever.

Whatever part of life your problems lie, you're only a small paradigm shift away from realising how much you might achieve if you can battle your way through it and come out of the other side stronger than before.

I reckon you should watch a short film called the Butterfly Circus, whenever I feel a bit down, it really helps put things into perspective for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_MCwlY6zzg[/youtube]

SkyBlueFlux said:
I can't begin to imagine where you're at right now, but I have an anecdote which may be helpful.

For me there is one thing in life that can give you meaning, and that is other people.

Everybody has their low points in life, and though I'm only 22 I am no exception, and I remember mine very well. It was back when I was 14 and I'd had a serious amount of surgery to fix problems that I won't go into in any great detail. Essentially, whilst the surgery was ongoing I wasn't allowed to eat or drink a thing, everything was intravenous. I had the initial surgery and things seemed to go well, but after a week I wasn't progressing, they took scans of me and decided I needed to go for more surgery. All through this I was being prodded and poked with needles, being scanned and having cameras/drains put in me on a daily basis. It was mentally exhausting.

I came out after the second surgery, and immediately knew something wasn't right. My decline progressed, my weight plummeted and I was a wretched thing to look at. They decided to take another scan, the results of which would determine if I'd go in for more surgery.

I still remember the look of anguish on my surgeons face as he approached my mum and I. I remember breaking down into uncontrollable tears, it just all became too much. I remember him saying to me "this is our last chance really, your body can't take any more surgery". It'd be potentially nearly 48 hours of surgery in a 10-day period.

That was my lowest point, and nothing will ever compare to it. The despair, just can't be described. I cried for two hours whilst they prepared to put me under the knife again. But this is the important part Seosa, I didn't just cry, I made myself a promise that would define the rest of my life to date and give me a purpose. I said to myself "If I ever get out of here, I'm going to live my life to repay the people who have helped me in my darkest hour." That meant my mum, my family, the surgeons. Everybody.

The final surgery went well, and I came out of the hospital after 6 weeks, 28 days of which I hadn't eaten or drunk a morsel, weighing 5 stone. It took me nearly two years to recover fully from that. During that time I set about achieving the goal I set myself, I worked hard to pass my GCSEs. I intended to get onto an A Level course, then university and then study science. I had decided that the only way to help repay everybody was to help humanity as a whole, and go into developing something that will make people's lives easier.

Now I'm here on the last year of my degree in mathematical physics at Edinburgh University. That goal I set myself 9 years ago has never been truer than it is today. I still intend to work in scientific development one day, but before that I want to make enough money to get my mum a holiday home and help out the rest of my family. I'm not saying every day of my life since has been easy, but I've never let my sights up from that goal and I will achieve it if it's the last thing I do. It is what makes life worth it... for me at least. I owe them everything.

So here is my advice to you. Make your lowest point the one that defines you. The one that gives your life a meaning and a goal. Don't let it be the end, but a new beginning. Let it be your motivator and let it be your inspiration. If you do this, like I have, then you will never again question if your life is worth it, because it is worth it as long as you have that promise you make to yourself.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps.
I'm struggling to think of a more uplifting post I've ever read on here. Especially the bit I've enlarged.

I look in the mirror and see a bloke I don't really know and who I've never really understood.

I hear myself talking at work and wonder who this bloke is and how does he know so much.

I look at my wonderful wife and wonder how I ever managed to get her to even go out with me.

I look at our beautiful children and it all makes sense.

They are my life.

(Is this my serious night or what?)

Lavinda Past said:
I look in the mirror and see a bloke I don't really know and who I've never really understood.

I hear myself talking at work and wonder who this bloke is and how does he know so much.

I look at my wonderful wife and wonder how I ever managed to get her to even go out with me.

They are my life.

Post like this more often, honestly.

Lavinda Past said:

They are my life.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.