Gerard Wiekens

I must have missed this thread when it was posted last year, but I've been thinking about Gerard recently for some reason that escapes me at the moment.

I have to agree with all on here. GW was a class act in those dark days of third tier football and a great servant to the club for many seasons.

My favourite memory of him is the last Maine Road derby. As has already been said, he didn't give van Nosebag a sniff that afternoon and he was one of the main reasons we won.

Something that no one has mentioned however, is the fact that he hardly ever hoofed the ball out of defence; rather he played it out from the back.

A ball-playing centre-back if ever there was one.

Vienna_70 said:
I must have missed this thread when it was posted last year, but I've been thinking about Gerard recently for some reason that escapes me at the moment.

I have to agree with all on here. GW was a class act in those dark days of third tier football and a great servant to the club for many seasons.

My favourite memory of him is the last Maine Road derby. As has already been said, he didn't give van Nosebag a sniff that afternoon and he was one of the main reasons we won.

Something that no one has mentioned however, is the fact that he hardly ever hoofed the ball out of defence; rather he played it out from the back.

A ball-playing centre-back if ever there was one.

Flippin eck, that's what I call a bump.
Is it a blue moon record?

Yeah, he was a good player to watch. Quite slow though IIRC

Talking about club loyalty. He is assistent manager at Veendam nowadays. He was at the Ajax - City game with his two boys.

1990/91 SC Veendam 26 1 Eerste divisie
1991/92 SC Veendam 25 1 Eerste divisie
1992/93 SC Veendam 24 1 Eerste divisie
1993/94 SC Veendam 34 3 Eerste divisie
1994/95 SC Veendam 34 1 Eerste divisie
1995/96 SC Veendam 28 5 Eerste divisie
1996/97 SC Veendam 33 1 Eerste divisie
1997/98 Manchester City 37 5
1998/99 Manchester City 42 2
1999/00 Manchester City 34 1
2000/01 Manchester City 34 2 Premier League
2001/02 Manchester City 29 0
2002/03 Manchester City 6 0 Premier League
2003/04 Manchester City 0 0 Premier League
2004/05 SC Veendam 26 3 Eerste divisie
2005/06 SC Veendam 11 2 Eerste divisie
2006/07 SC Veendam 32 5 Eerste divisie
2007/08 SC Veendam 16 1 Eerste divisie
2008/09 SC Veendam 27 1 Eerste divisie
2009/10 SC Veendam 21 1 Eerste divisie
Total: 519 36

168035_fullimage_Gerard%20Wiekens_205x250.jpg

City Legend might be a strong statement, but I loved him and still do. Fantastic servant and still a fan. Loyal as they come!

Bluebee2 said:
I was just singing the walking in a wiekens wonderland song and my son said stop singing that he was rubbish. I beg to differ I thought Gerard was a decent player for us. Just been looking for a clip of that goal he scored against Leeds away to make it 1-0 but can't find it. Anyone else got any memories of Gerard ?
He was one of our better players when we were in the Prem, never mind in lower divisions. He rarely had a bad game and was an integral part of our rise back to the Prem. Anyone who thinks he's rubbish didn't see him play of doesn't appreciate football outside Messi and CRonaldo FIFA"Ultimate Team" BS.

bluecitywugger said:
how about singing......There's only one David Silva, there's only one David Silva walking along singing this song. Walking in a Silva wonderland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets sing it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.