getting to the bottom of small cup crowds

Too much TV, and too little competition...simple as that.

30 years ago, the FA Cup was the main game televised live during the season, along with an international or two. The league Cup took place at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and wasn't televised live. There was usually a different winner of the cups to winner of the league, so there was an interest amongst supporters & clubs....none of this "I have to play for a top four club" shite.

For example the League and FA Cup double was done 5 times between 1888 and 1986. Since 1994 it’s been done 6 times by three different clubs. There is no competition, no hope of someone different winning trophies.

Now, supporters can pick and choose when to attend a game. If they don’t want to go they can either catch it live on sky, or get the salient points on SSN in a handy bite-sized package every hour.

IMHO, the clubs who qualify for the Champions League, shouldn’t play in the FA Cup the following season. It gives everyone else an opportunity to win something, and limits their revenue making possibilities to a degree. It may also benefit the national team without the need for a midwinter break.

Those are my thoughts, some you may agree with, some you may not.

We've been dogshit in the cups for years, getting knocked out year on year to shite teams. I always tell myself I'm not bothering with the cup next year, but always end up going eventually. I reckon our poor turn outs are mainly down to people getting pissed off with the way the players treat the cup.

fathellensbellend said:
i personally love the cup games, but take county on sunday, i was frustrated with our cagey approach against lower opposition, i don't think mancini's approach really excites fans, and a more swashbuckling approach would help.

so another dig at bob's tactic's, how did you know what type of game we was going to play before buying a ticket and if you knew the plan of attack can you please give me next weeks lottery numbers so i might be able to miss work and go to the game

cheers xx

Money, family and work fair enough

Too many tossers on here complaining about dull cup games,we do not have a devine right to beat anybody and in all honesty 16 goals in two cup ties (4 games) is not dull. I'd rather watch us play Leicester or Notts County than Everton in the cup.
Each to their own but 40K will be there against Villa.

Manx Blue said:
IMHO, the clubs who qualify for the Champions League, shouldn’t play in the FA Cup the following season. It gives everyone else an opportunity to win something, and limits their revenue making possibilities to a degree. It may also benefit the national team without the need for a midwinter break.

I strongly disagree with that. The FA Cup is the greatest knockout competition in the world and is open to everybody. No chance to do the double, either.

Trafford Red & White Sox drop out of the FA Cup. We don't.

some games i go to, some i watch on tv, 2morra i watch on tv, against villa i will go, need to save money for dublin and wembley

dadnlad said:
fathellensbellend said:
i personally love the cup games, but take county on sunday, i was frustrated with our cagey approach against lower opposition, i don't think mancini's approach really excites fans, and a more swashbuckling approach would help.

so another dig at bob's tactic's, how did you know what type of game we was going to play before buying a ticket and if you knew the plan of attack can you please give me next weeks lottery numbers so i might be able to miss work and go to the game

cheers xx

not too sure what you mean, but i just don't think our brand of football lends it self to exciting cup matches, the europa games have been drab, wba away was piss poor, last season v stoke was poor, and no i don't have the lotto numbers.

anyhow just my opinion, try not to take it personally.

does anyone know how many have been sold for tomorow? the online seat selector doesnt know if its coming or going, and seems to be taking away and adding different blocks every 5 minutes!

Colins Bellend said:
Money, family and work fair enough

Too many tossers on here complaining about dull cup games,we do not have a devine right to beat anybody and in all honesty 16 goals in two cup ties (4 games) is not dull. I'd rather watch us play Leicester or Notts County than Everton in the cup.Each to their own but 40K will be there against Villa.

why do you say that?
the bigger/better the team surely would grab your attention.
by that reasoning you would turn the other way when we eventually get to grips with barca.

We simply don't have the fan base. It's not as if it's just us. It's replicated up and down the country. The difference is that teams like Rags, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc, have had more exposure and success over the years so are bound to have more fans. When a season ticket holder turns down a ticket for one of their Cup games then they'll usually be someone waiting in the wings to snap it up.

I think it also doesn't help when the club has every stand open around the ground. Why not fill the lower tiers first before opening up 2nd and 3rd tiers.
Sure there'd be season ticket holders that moan about not getting their usual seat, but getting your 'own' seat for a cup game should be a privilege not a right. As long as season ticket holders can get a ticket before they go on open sale then that's all that should matter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.