Gillingham v Manchester City 1999

I was there and stayed till the end as usual and rightly so. Was funny our support trying to get back in. Went through every emotion. One of the best days ever.

Agreed. THE best awayday I've had following City. Some others come a close second but this was the best.

Jumped the football special and back in Picc for half nine.

Just watched part 2 ().

Our new owner can clearly been seen celebrating Dickov's goal a 2:56.

I was on holiday on IoW awaiting dispatches over the radio.

Thanks for postin* this, great memories, I was in Australia confiden5vwe would win, r3cording the game, going to work.when we wen5 two down I was d3vastated, typical city I’m thinking, then one back then Dickov equalised, omg,I thought bound to win in extra time.but this is city, Goater on fire all year, too slow on two chances, then penalties, typical city. What support, what enthusiasm, those players were in part responsible for this magnificent period of beautiful football we ar3 experiencing.dickov, Goater,Cooke, Weaver, then on to the classic come back against Blackburn for promotion to premier league, it was a sad era but a fantastic one at same time. Love that city have kept legends involved as ambassadors etc. ,dickov Goater and the like, part of city history.and how good were the crowds in those days, taking over away grounds and filling Maine Road even in third division.fantastic history and present day fantasy...good to be a city fan

Was at the game (stayed until the end) and was also at the Wigan Semi-Final at home (picture of me and my mate was in the MEN, taken during the pitch invasion) - we had driven up for the Wigan game from Bedford on a school night, got back about 3 am and so my mum let me have the morning off.

I remember more of the Wigan game than I do the Gillingham one (we really rode our luck against Wigan - they had blatantly penalty denied, hit the bar, and our goal was crappy to say the least). Gillingham is just a bit of a blur - I remember the goals and shootout but very little else. Didn't even celebrate Horlock's (which was a tidy goal, we tend to forget) and Dickov's equaliser was surreal - just pandemonium in the stands.

Another memory is being let into Wembley at the wrong gate and having to walk round inside with my dad around through the Gillingham sections. Talk about a gauntlet - not the nicest of fans.

I know it sounds spoiled and ungrateful to say this given what we have no, but that season was probably my favourite and most engaging as a City fan: completely turn around in our fortunes, cheap tickets in that division and the Goat. Loved it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.