Gillingham v Manchester City 1999

I was in New York having booked the trip after the York game thinking there was no chance of the play-offs, let alone automatic promotion.

Was in a friend’s house and managed to get the BBC text finally after trying to get a radio commentary from somewhere. When we saw that Dickov had equalised me and my son went berserk and our friend’s father asked “Have you guys just won the Superbowl or something?” I explained the league system, promotion & relegation and the play-offs to him and he understood. “So what you’re telling me is that you’ve just come third in the third league right?” When we confirmed he was indeed correct he shook his head and said “Jeez. What would you be like if you really won something?”.

Just watched part 2 ().

Our new owner can clearly been seen celebrating Dickov's goal a 2:56.

I was on holiday on IoW awaiting dispatches over the radio.

how dare you question sheikh mansour and his loyalty to manchester city born and breed a blue also was at the york away game

I finished work on the Saturday and went to the pub to sulk 'cos i had no ticket and everyone else did. Got shouted to the phone after a few pints and a certain Blue journo was on the other end telling me he'd got me a ticket. There was also one seat left on the double decker coach going from the boozer and by the time i was pissed i was also sorted for the match. Brilliant trip down with some 'interesting' stops on the way (Hi Curly) and needless too say most of us were well oiled by the time we arrived.
I had no chance of finding my seat so i went to the front where a lad on crutches was leaning on the hoardings watching the action. The stewards let me stay there as the lad told them i was his helper.
My mate found me for 2nd half and i was with him,his wife and young daughter sat to the left of the goals, level with the 12 yard box. As the half wore on the kid started crying, and most of the adults around felt like doing the same.
Super Kev banged one in and we all started to believe again. When Dickov scored that goal the world around me seemed to explode. I looked around for the kid and she was about 6 feet in the air due to Dad's over exuberant celebrations. Luckily several others were waiting to catch her when she came down. Not sure i've ever seen a kid have a bigger smile on their face.
The trip back was just one long party and we carried on when we got back. I made it home 2 days later, potless, voice-less and in the dog house but boy was it worth it. Hell, i even enjoyed Staus Quo.

'OH TERRY COOK.........'

sadly no I wasn't there, but living in kent all of a sudden every man women and child in kent became gillinghams fans in the build up to it. got some micky taking before the game than after the game they all disappeared !!

Living in Maidstone and working in Gillingham I realised the only way of seeing this was to get tickets in the Gills end. I queued up for 4 hours each on 2 separate days to get 8 tickets. A couple were for me and my boy two others for city mates the rest for mates who just wanted a day out including a Sussex F A councillor. Amazingly on the tube met two Gills fans from Manchester who had city tickets, how they had them i just dont know. So two of us swopped and got in with City Fans. The rest as they say is history.
Incidentally Gills got back to a Wembley play off in the following season and took over 50000. Wigan had about 6000 !

Being my local team - sitting less than 2 miles from Priestfields as I write - I can vouch for what Gordon says; apparently Scally gave each Gillingham season ticket holder up to 8 tickets each for the game - loads of Gills fans there ' for a day out '. Could not get a ticket until a mate of mine in Widnes told me he had a spare 3 days before the game. Elated with that - missed Paul Dickov's equaliser as I was looking behind thinking ' we've got the go to these crappy grounds again next season '. Wondered what had happened and thought that someone had been sent off on the Gillingham team.....!!! Was quite confident when extra time started but ' typical City ' in them days made us sweat it out with the penalties...........worth it in the end, though.......................

In the Angel in Dukinfield surrounded by family and friends.

When Dickov scored I threw my little nephew, who was sitting on my knee, up in the air. It was only as he came down I saw one of those huge brass ceiling fans above us. Still have nightmares to this day when I think how close he must have come to it.

Still if you can’t celebrate the most important goal in our history when can you.

Right behind the ball that Dickov smashed into the net: best goal celebrations ever.

Agree with others: Wembley Way was a sea of silent, voiceless emotional quivering wrecks after the penalties.

We went back to Harrow after the game and all the locals were saying to us, ‘cheer up you won’, but we physically couldn’t raise a smile amongst us!

I was there and stayed till the end as usual and rightly so. Was funny our support trying to get back in. Went through every emotion. One of the best days ever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.