Gillingham v Manchester City 1999

Went to wembley having bagged hospitality tickets ... took my brother (RIP) and we both took our young sons.

Not sure how or why but the whole restaurant behind the Royal Box was City fans - tables of six all facing the pitch ... there was another couple on the end of us four

At the end, they brought us the drinks that we had ordered for full time ... the couple next to us had a bottle of champagne delivered and he says to she “how did you know we would win” and she replies “I didn’t - but I do know you’re going to be a Dad” ... I wonder where they are now ?

We trundled back home (we lived in Berkshire then) having arranged to meet wives and friends in the pub - was quite a surprise on arrival to receive almost a standing ovation from the fellow customers.

Come on City

.... and Oasis were two tables along going crazy like the rest of us

Last edited:
Living in Maidstone and working in Gillingham I realised the only way of seeing this was to get tickets in the Gills end. I queued up for 4 hours each on 2 separate days to get 8 tickets. A couple were for me and my boy two others for city mates the rest for mates who just wanted a day out including a Sussex F A councillor. Amazingly on the tube met two Gills fans from Manchester who had city tickets, how they had them i just dont know. So two of us swopped and got in with City Fans. The rest as they say is history.
Incidentally Gills got back to a Wembley play off in the following season and took over 50000. Wigan had about 6000 !

It was 30th birthday and I went without a ticket (I was living in Cheltenham at the time). Bought one in the Gillingham end for £160 (face value £13 iirc) which seemed crazy then but good value now!

There were a few others blues in that end and we had our own celebration after the Gill's fans departed. Some of the City players spotted us and gave us a wave.

Met a couple of blues on the train home and had a good chat and couple of beers with them.

Behind the goal where the pens were taken, front row of the upper tier. Stayed to the end as the train we were booked on didn't leave for nearly 2 hours after the match, had a few empty seats near me in stoppage time, nothing changes... ;-)

Yep. We bought 8 season tickets for the following season cos that was the only way we could guarantee 8 tickets for the play off final. Roller coaster of a day never to be forgotten.

Flew in overnight, went to a hotel in Lancaster Gate to get some sleep before the game. Made the mistake of turning on the TV and then couldn’t sleep, too wired. Went to Wembley early. Met up with family members and I’m ashamed to say was ready to leave before the goals because I was absolutely knackered and gutted. Brother pulled a face at me as if I had wet farted in his face and just shook his head. Thanks, Bro!!!

After game, went back to hotel and sat outside a pub around the corner on the main road waving and cheering with blues as they wandered by.

As Wallace would say, “A grand day out!”

Just watched part 2 ().

Our new owner can clearly been seen celebrating Dickov's goal a 2:56.

I was on holiday on IoW awaiting dispatches over the radio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.