Gillingham v Manchester City 1999

pride in battle said:
Cracked the face of my watch when Dickov scored, it's since then been my 'lucky' watch....it stopped on the 13-05-2012 at 4.56.....the exact time of Aguero's goal....

Is this true, made me shiver reading that!

BM, I'll get this, great day and such a roller coaster game, typical City. Some of the stories on here about fans leaving and missing the goal interest me, do you cover this at all?

The guys behind me at Wembley were so pissed that they spent most of the game with their heads bobbing into our backs (there were no backs to the seats at the old Wembley). After several barfs they'd sobered up enough to realise the score and then left.

I still remember Horlock scoring and thinking 'if them red twats can do it so can we'. I was near the front directly in line with Dickov as the ball broke to him and the roof of the net bulged. Bedlam.

The 2 behind then reappeared in tears. They had been sat on on their coach head in hands when they saw everyone running back in. They said stewards were trying to stop them - not a chance.

Great day, great night in Trafalgor square. Girls with tops off. Marvellous.

took my two girls 16 and 10 both in floods of tears at 88 mins decided to leave walked out onto concours but could go no further maybe something told me to wait listening to crowd horlocks went in big cheer stayed put just listening crowd went slightly quite as ( i now know ) dikov got the ball then an allmighty roar as he scored the noise was unbelievable and we ran straight back to our seats me carring youngest after that was a blur the train journey home was most enjoyable few beers but what i remember the most about that day is beeing abserlutly drained of emotion even more than qpr game, will live with me forever.

manchester blue said:
pride in battle said:
Cracked the face of my watch when Dickov scored, it's since then been my 'lucky' watch....it stopped on the 13-05-2012 at 4.56.....the exact time of Aguero's goal....

BM, I'll get this, great day and such a roller coaster game, typical City. Some of the stories on here about fans leaving and missing the goal interest me, do you cover this at all?

I've not covered any of the fans' stories - there's one or two from me or people I've known, but nothing huge - I'm afraid. Mainly because I had the privilege of speaking to all of the players, so I was focused on them, really.

They've all got some very interesting memories from the day - it's funny what little or quirky things they all remember.

manchester blue said:
pride in battle said:

There's a whole load of fans stories in the MCIVTA newsletters from around that time:

http://mcivta.com/mcivta/5/05.html 31st May issue
http://mcivta.com/mcivta/5/06.html 3rd June issue
http://mcivta.com/mcivta/5/07.html there's even some more stuff in the 7th June issue.

I've occasionally had a re-read of these over the years, still doesn't seem like it was 15 years ago...

One of the main things that stands out from that game (apart from the obvious :) ) was the sheer amount of noise we made when the Gillingham players came up to take their penalties. I've not heard anything that loud in a footy stadium before or since (wasn't lucky enough to have a ticket for the QPR game).

I also remember watching a repeat of the match on Sky, at least I think it was the match rather than a highlights package was a City fan going up to the camera at the end outside Wembley and saying something like "This is the phoenix from the flames lads, mark my words them reds are finished!".

I suppose many of us thought that match would never be bettered. And then, just under 13 years later, it was...

bluefrom78 said:
I also remember watching a repeat of the match on Sky, at least I think it was the match rather than a highlights package was a City fan going up to the camera at the end outside Wembley and saying something like "This is the phoenix from the flames lads, mark my words them reds are finished!".

I've been watching a lot of stuff about the game and researching the match and that's on the end of the Football Gold that Sky have been showing recently. I think it was on this morning, actually - it'll be on the Sky planner again soon, I'm sure.

should send one copy with a dedication to Tony Pulis. He must have some fond memories of that day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.