Gillingham v Manchester City 1999

I was right next to the exit and when the second went in the temptation was just too much

I remember thinking 'I can't take this anymore' lol as I headed out

First one goes in and I thought' fucking typical kick us while we're down' and carried on walking

Then as Blues came running streaming back down Wembley Way we've scored we've fucking scored it all went rushing back mental never to be the same again

I learned a harsh lesson and was very firmly in my seat when Sergio scored :-)

I became a City fan on this day.

I was at The Village Pub Hotel in Cheadle, watching on the big screen they used to have. Had no idea what was going on and zero interest in the game - I was 4 - until Dickov scored. I still had no idea what was happening, but some bloke lifted me up off the floor and threw me into the air. When he caught me he looked at me as if I was his own son. I'll never forget the look in his eyes.

Incidentally, if anybody runs a blog or a website that they would like to review the book for, I do have a PDF copy I can share via google drive ahead of release.

Drop me a line!

Just watched the video of the penalties and still worries me when I see edgehill walk up to take a penalty but fair play to him he had the guts to do it.
Brilliant afternoon (well the last 40 minutes were) and the first and last time I sang rockin all over the world by status quo.<br /><br />-- Fri May 02, 2014 3:03 pm --<br /><br />Just watched the video of the penalties and still worries me when I see edgehill walk up to take a penalty but fair play to him he had the guts to do it.
Brilliant afternoon (well the last 40 minutes were) and the first and last time I sang rockin all over the world by status quo.

djimaldblue said:
I queued for nine hours in and out of Maine Road for the two tickets I was entitled to as a season ticket holder. The queue began outside the ticket office, went past the outside of the north stand, round and past the Kippax until we were shepherded into the entrance of the Kippax at the Platt Lane end which was about half way around the ground.

I followed the same route back but inside the concourses of the Kippax and North stands until finally arriving at the ticket office at about 7 pm. They had kept the ticket office open due to the demand. I remember seeing some graffiti on the wall just before I exited the North stand concourse that said "City till I died" which kind of kept me going.

I don't honestly remember much of the match other than having this dreadful feeling that we had blown it. I think their scorers were Carl Asaba and Fat Bob but I can't remember too clearly.

I do know that I didn't leave with 2 minutes of normal time left, and when Horlock and Dickov got it to 2-2, I was certain that we would go on to win it in extra time. But again, typical City prevailed and kept us waiting.

Luckily the penalties were taken at our end of the old stadium and after they missed a couple it was in the bag until Dickov missed one.

Then Nicky Weaver made that save and the pure relief ran through my entire body.

When we walked back down Wembley Way there was no singing or celebrating- everyone was just emotionally spent.

What a day and what a result after the rags had just won the European Cup.

And Noel Gallagher and Goldie managed to get their photo with me before the game.

I and many other queued for 12 hours 10 minutes. What a lash up that was City.

Still, the wait was worth it....eventually....

Zabbasbeard said:
djimaldblue said:
I queued for nine hours in and out of Maine Road for the two tickets I was entitled to as a season ticket holder. The queue began outside the ticket office, went past the outside of the north stand, round and past the Kippax until we were shepherded into the entrance of the Kippax at the Platt Lane end which was about half way around the ground.

I followed the same route back but inside the concourses of the Kippax and North stands until finally arriving at the ticket office at about 7 pm. They had kept the ticket office open due to the demand. I remember seeing some graffiti on the wall just before I exited the North stand concourse that said "City till I died" which kind of kept me going.

I don't honestly remember much of the match other than having this dreadful feeling that we had blown it. I think their scorers were Carl Asaba and Fat Bob but I can't remember too clearly.

I do know that I didn't leave with 2 minutes of normal time left, and when Horlock and Dickov got it to 2-2, I was certain that we would go on to win it in extra time. But again, typical City prevailed and kept us waiting.

Luckily the penalties were taken at our end of the old stadium and after they missed a couple it was in the bag until Dickov missed one.

Then Nicky Weaver made that save and the pure relief ran through my entire body.

When we walked back down Wembley Way there was no singing or celebrating- everyone was just emotionally spent.

And Noel Gallagher and Goldie managed to get their photo with me before the game.

The one thing everyone I spoke to about doing this project remembers aside from the game is queuing through Maine Road. My dad did it and didn't have breakfast thinking he'd only be an hour or two - then, when he got to the ticket office, the stewards wouldn't let my mum give him a sandwich because they were worried we were passing him season tickets wrapped up in tin foil.

nmc said:
God is it 15 years - only feels like yesterday. That year in the third division has many happy memories. We were the freak show everywhere we went - the whole town at places like Colchester came out to see City. Helped me get up to 70 odd out of the 92 that season. Always liked David Chidlow's book of that great day. I'll defo buy this one.
Agreed and I got the full 92 that year but the new grounds and promoted clubs have done me over the subsequent period. I continue to believe this was our most important game as there was "No Plan B" and had it been Scunny we would probably been in even deeper financial trouble. Looking forward to reading this.<br /><br />-- Sat May 03, 2014 7:33 am --<br /><br />
BlueMooney said:
Zabbasbeard said:
djimaldblue said:

The one thing everyone I spoke to about doing this project remembers aside from the game is queuing through Maine Road. My dad did it and didn't have breakfast thinking he'd only be an hour or two - then, when he got to the ticket office, the stewards wouldn't let my mum give him a sandwich because they were worried we were passing him season tickets wrapped up in tin foil.

Yes my brother queued for this one and did it without breakfast or a drink. He thought he was just popping out for an hour!! Turned out to be a full day. people who complain about the odd current ticket office mess up have no idea about our true historical incompetence in all areas!!

Today is 16 years since that relegation at Stoke.

What better way to mark it than pre-ordering a book about how City escaped the third tier? *ahem*

<a class="postlink" href="http://davemooney.co.uk/books/looks-like-scunny-next-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://davemooney.co.uk/books/looks-lik ... xt-season/</a> ;)

Couldn't get a ticket, so watched it in a pub in blackpool (lived there 2 years horrible place) was just about to deck a scouser because of the shit he was giving me, when we scored the second, ended up having a few pints with him...

Went to a social club near Wembley after the match(think it was called the red house)and some bloke at the bar had Nicky Weavers glove on.The rest of the day is just a blur.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.