Give Neil Young a testimonial

Ballet On Ice

Manchester City legend Neil Young is facing up to the very real possibility of
losing the "educated" left foot which scored and created so many goals during his 11-year career at Maine Road.

Young underwent emergency surgery at the Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle three years ago after a scan revealed he had developed deep vein thrombosis in his left leg.

The surgical technique seemed to have been successful but the circulatory problems resurfaced a month ago leaving the 66-year-old Fallowfield-born striker unable to walk more than 50 yards before he was forced to rest.

Now a vascular consultant at Macclesfield General Hospital has warned Young that if a second vein transplant operation doesn't work the only other option would be amputation of his left leg.

Neil never got a testimonial match when he left City all those years ago, even though he had been at the club since he was an apprentice.
Not only was he a local who had he been at the club most of his career but he was the only goal scorer the last time we won the FA cup, and I think he was our top goal scorer the last time we won the league.
When he played footballers didn’t earn the vast amounts that they do now, and with his problems now it would be a superb gesture for the club to give him a testimonial, he is one of our own.

Or maybe give all the regulars of the late 60’s early 70’s League, FA cup, League cup and ECWC team who have not had testimonials a joint testimonial

Ballet On Ice said:
Manchester City legend Neil Young is facing up to the very real possibility of
losing the "educated" left foot which scored and created so many goals during his 11-year career at Maine Road.

Young underwent emergency surgery at the Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle three years ago after a scan revealed he had developed deep vein thrombosis in his left leg.

The surgical technique seemed to have been successful but the circulatory problems resurfaced a month ago leaving the 66-year-old Fallowfield-born striker unable to walk more than 50 yards before he was forced to rest.

Now a vascular consultant at Macclesfield General Hospital has warned Young that if a second vein transplant operation doesn't work the only other option would be amputation of his left leg.

Neil never got a testimonial match when he left City all those years ago, even though he had been at the club since he was an apprentice.
Not only was he a local who had he been at the club most of his career but he was the only goal scorer the last time we won the FA cup, and I think he was our top goal scorer the last time we won the league.
When he played footballers didn’t earn the vast amounts that they do now, and with his problems now it would be a superb gesture for the club to give him a testimonial, he is one of our own.

Or maybe give all the regulars of the late 60’s early 70’s League, FA cup, League cup and ECWC team who have not had testimonials a joint testimonial

I couldn't agree more he's had such a hard time, and it would be a fantastic gesture by the club. Also your forum name is the first City game I ever saw.

A great idea, I remember him well as a player, I would certainly support a testimonial for him, he was a good servant for the club and I think many blues would attend a game for him.

I'd certainly support such an idea, but doesn't his condition mean he'd be unable to actually play, thus rendering the testimonial kind of pointless? I guess you could hold a match in his honour, instead, though.

I go to a primary school in Bramhall to play football at his organised club every Sunday morning.

He's still got the vision and that left foot is superb at finding passes.

I hope he pulls through, but he's not showing any signs of being ill on the football pitch. He's a great character, and its wonderful to know what it was like to be a footballer back then. I have really got to know alot under his wisdom, and I'd support an idea, and attend the game if it was put forward.

Get a petition going.

I asked Paul Tyrell about a testimonial for the great man a couple of years ago and his response was "financial arrangements were made at the time of Neil's departure from the Club and it's unlikely that a testimonial will be awarded".

However, we live in different times now and if enough Blues voice their support it may happen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.