Global IT outage

Not noticed a bean. Work email still filing in, nipped to lidl at lunch and all fine. Savio's first day playing without an issue. Odd that it seems to be such a big deal elsewhere, or is this another case of the saarf being affected so it's headline news? Jk
Good know about Lidl, it should be all systems go to get my booze from aldi later. Get a few bog rolls in just in case

Feared the worst this morning - work in Cloud Support/Architect - thank fuck we don't use CrowdStrike.

Was it DNS??

My other half works for a very famous household name multi multi billion dollar American tech company.

She’s said they’re having a catastrophic global outage and instead of giving their staff who can’t currently get anything done while they fix it the Friday off, they’ve got to sit there doing some bullshit pointless tedious online training courses haha.

Seems like a load of bullshit to me, should just let people clock off, it’s Friday ffs.

She’s not happy at all. Treating thousands of employees like kids with a supply teacher.

How can the world depend on one system without any kind of back up in place?! Even if they say it's 100% never going to happen again all it takes is one person to not get all of it lined up to upgrade a system and this happens! Maybe they think 1 to 2 days of outage is fine!?

It doesn’t.

Unfortunately Crowdstrike is one of if not the biggest security software companies in the world though so them having a catastrophic meltdown is going to affect a lot of other businesses given they have so many customers.

It’s a bit like if Visa went down. They’re not the only payment system out there but it would fuck up a hell of a lot of people.

My other half works for a very famous household name multi multi billion dollar American tech company.

She’s said they’re having a catastrophic global outage and instead of giving their staff who can’t currently get anything done while they fix it the Friday off, they’ve got to sit there doing some bullshit pointless tedious online training courses haha.

Seems like a load of bullshit to me, should just let people clock off, it’s Friday ffs.

She’s not happy at all. Treating thousands of employees like kids with a supply teacher.
And that's the reason productivity in this country is so poor. It's only 20% of the working week that gets written of because it's Friday. FFS

What issues. I never understood why so much money was thrown at an issue. My simple thoughts were.
So a device that uses a date thinks its 1900. Do these devices decide that they were not invented in the early 19th c and think how can I work I don't exist?
As computers didn't exist in 1900 no conflicting dates exist in the system. Records.
Not 1 IT person has explained satisfactorily what was wrong with my logic.

There's lots of code involving dates.

If you had a bit of code say looking back two days from the current date and the current date is now wrong because of a bug then the data being displayed is wrong or doesn't now exist.

So if the machine that decides what the time is for that particular server is saying 1900, 1970 etc instead of 2000 then a lot of things will break.

And that's the reason productivity in this country is so poor. It's only 20% of the working week that gets written of because it's Friday. FFS

You can’t be productive if all your work tools are broken.

I just think it’s a petty to make thousands of people do online training exercises that have no relevance to their job just to avoid giving them the afternoon off. Seems a bit snide.

Anyway (un)fortunately my job isn’t affected. I live in a Mac / Google Drive bubble.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.