Global IT outage

To be fair you don't know how much work was put in to ensure things didn't break.

It could've been a case that the work done leading up to the new millennium was a job well done and issues were largely mitigated.
What issues. I never understood why so much money was thrown at an issue. My simple thoughts were.
So a device that uses a date thinks its 1900. Do these devices decide that they were not invented in the early 19th c and think how can I work I don't exist?
As computers didn't exist in 1900 no conflicting dates exist in the system. Records.
Not 1 IT person has explained satisfactorily what was wrong with my logic.

Not a great day at the airports today..at least its sunny

I work on IT helpdesk at various places including Tower of London and Hampton court palace. All transaction devices down. More importantly pub just messaged to say if I'm going for pints at lunchtime bring cash

How can the world depend on one system without any kind of back up in place?! Even if they say it's 100% never going to happen again all it takes is one person to not get all of it lined up to upgrade a system and this happens! Maybe they think 1 to 2 days of outage is fine!?

Hahaha remember that absolute bollocks? My god people are stupid.
I worked in an industry where it was critical that things didn’t stop working properly at the turn of the century. A huge amount of effort went in to ensure nothing untoward happened. Without that work a lot of things would have failed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.