Global Warming

twinkletoes said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
twinkletoes said:
The way forward is electricity storage.

Thats a fairly wide spectrum which has been in use for a while as well, Dams etc

I am not sure what you are saying but I am talking about large scale energy storage.

What's also needed is a smart grid to distribute energy efficiently.

We already have electrical storage in many capacities
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_storage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_storage</a>

It may well help but we still need to generate the energy to store it in the first place

brand blue heavies said:
More harm is dont to the atmosphere from cows and pigs farting than anything else.
This isn`t man made. Its the natural cycle of the planet, however man isn`t helping. We are affecting it slightly but its gonna happen anyway.

Icebergs melting? Pah there actually increasing in size in some regions.

Fossil fuels are the real worry and why we need a fine balance of nuclear and wind/solar/tidal power to meet our future power needs.

If man is affecting anything its the oceans and our pursuit of every fish going. Its that affect on the balance of the oceans that will ultimately come back to bit us on the ass. That and Bees.

Dead right. If you've ever been bit on the arse by a bee you won't want it again in a hurry.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
twinkletoes said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Thats a fairly wide spectrum which has been in use for a while as well, Dams etc

I am not sure what you are saying but I am talking about large scale energy storage.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_storage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_storage</a>

It may well help but we still need to generate the energy to store it in the first place

I am talking about electricity and at the moment that is not a reality.

twinkletoes said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
twinkletoes said:

I can imagine it would be largely impossible to store electricity. Then again scientist love to prove the impossible (and often do)

Skashion said:
The oil is getting harder and harder to extract though so the costs will rise and rise. It is actually better to invest in sustainable energy. As much as I like to piss off ecomentalists, the argument about sustainable energy is perfectly valid.
$70 a barrel is all it needs to make it viable.

We've been above that for ages.

SWP's back said:
Skashion said:
The oil is getting harder and harder to extract though so the costs will rise and rise. It is actually better to invest in sustainable energy. As much as I like to piss off ecomentalists, the argument about sustainable energy is perfectly valid.
$70 a barrel is all it needs to make it viable.

We've been above that for ages.

Nobody been listening to me when i say it

BoyBlue_1985 said:
twinkletoes said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

I can imagine it would be largely impossible to store electricity. Then again scientist love to prove the impossible (and often do)

The Germans are supposed to be quite close to it.

They want to be energy independent by 2020.

twinkletoes said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
twinkletoes said:

The Germans are supposed to be quite close to it.

They want to be energy independent by 2020.

I just read about that sounds interesting, need to read more later at home

metalblue said:
Damocles said:
SWP's back said:
Damocles already stated on the thread that where the funding arises is not relevant as any possible bias from the scientists having accepted funding is unfalsifiable.

Damocles also said that the peer review process is designed to lessen bias in every experiment.

The only possible conclusion that global warming skeptics can come to, is that there's a vast conspiracy involving many of the governments of the world, almost ALL of the climate scientists, many of the data gatherers, many of the solar scientists, many of the geologists and this is carried out in secret as a way of earning tax revenues that they presumably couldn't get from from any other means (because taxes only exist because of environmentalism).

The above conclusion is not the thinking of a sane person.

Question for you Damo...the carbon cycle is natural, man has put this into imbalance by adding more carbon than can be naturally dealt with by the planet, that's a given. Now my question (and it might be a very stupid one) is: do rising sea levels increase the amount of carbon the planet can "absorb"? and if so do we know to what extent?

You've asked a difficult question because, as with any other complex system, there's numerous things to consider. In the very simplest (simple enough to almost irrelevant) possible terms, yes, more sea means that more carbon will be absorbed. However, warmer seas also mean that carbon absorption rate drops.
The rate of absorption of human made carbon in the oceans is dropping already.

If enough ice melted, this would all be academic anyway. If we lose the ice caps, we're pretty much fucked even if we stop all pollution on the spot. It's not just the rising of sea level due to surface ice reentering the ocean that's the concern here, it's that ice reflects sunlight back out into atmosphere whereas water absorbs it and heats. The planet would start absorbing sunlight that it used to send back into atmosphere and the whole planet would heat accordingly.

There's also the point of salinity of the gulf stream and other ocean currents which control all of our weather systems, including heating the island that we currently inhabit (known as thermohaline circulation). There's evidence to support the idea that this is already happening. The confidence in the data from that isn't at a level where anybody can say either way at this point, and there's much research yet to be done.

The lack of ice caps would have cause the planet to heat by several degrees, which would severely impact the ecosystem and human lifestyles. The North Pole completely melting wouldn't really effect sea levels that much because there isn't a HUGE amount of ice there (the concern here is the heat reflection thing mentioned earlier), but a melting of Greenland would be significant and if Antarctica goes (a continent that's twice the size of Australia and averages 7,000 feet thickness of ice) then we're all fucked and sea levels rise by 200 feet. That means Manchester would be 70 feet under water. Sea level rises are about the size of 111 Piccadilly or No 1 Deansgate, globally.

A complete stop of thermohaline circulation is an extinction level event.

I know that people like to bury their heads in the sand about things until it's something that cannot be denied any more. This is just how human psychology works.
Most of them don't do their research into it in any meaningful way, don't attempt to understand the issues or what they are reading. They try to negate it with conspiracies, or anecdotal arguments, or even by using data incorrectly to draw false conclusions.

Three years ago I stated on here that I was not yet convinced that climate change is a man made event. I've spent three years reading the science; not the coverage in the Daily Mail or the Guardian but peer reviewed scientific papers. I didn't cherry pick the odd data piece here or there but read everything that I could find in the journals, and asked a qualified friend to help me understand parts which were beyond my comprehension. I've done the legwork in understanding the issue and only ask others to do the same and see what conclusions that they come to. I'm now at a place whereby I'm convinced that climate change is a man made event.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.