Goal attempts

DD said:
chris63 said:
How come the rags, chelsea, arsenal,and the spuds all seem to have 20+ shots
most games, but we battle to get into double figures. Thought we did ok
2nite, but attempts at goal are very low. Honestly thought we would win 3 or 4 nil. Had 2 strikers 2nite still didnt improve our shot ratio. Cant win every game 1-0. Not whinging, its just anoying becouse i no where better then that.

Fuck me. We have a brain on Bluemoon. Unbelievable scenes!:)

Unfortunately mate, the vast majority on here are too thick or blinded to notice that this is a major problem of ours.

As I have said elsewhere, other teams play with a degree of tempo that forces a weight of pressure that in turn fashions chances without the need for a superlative pass. We don't do this and seem detemined to either walk it in or create our one real chance per half with a world class thread through. Just batter the opposition into submission and the chances will come but somehow this is beneath us.

spot on mate

and replacing Ade with Dzeko in August would have helped.

BlueSinclair said:
Its very discouraging to see how little chances and shots we have. Some say it will come in time, I do hope so, but I don't really see how and why.
Because you don't just put a manager and a group of players together and get the finished article from day 1, progress and improvement is to be expected. Mancini has stopped us leaking goals for fun, since then he has made keeping possession a priority, there's no reason to think that's the end of the story.

9 shots at goal today, won yes but a little worried. Amost had full squad, are
Bollatelli and AK going to make that much difference?

I don't think things are as bad as alot are making them out to be. Shots on goal aren't any better than possession play for me.

How many times have we been so close to scoring without actually having a shot?

1) Squaring the ball across the face of goal only for Tevez to stop his run short - If he carried on running he couldn't possibly miss.
2)Barry through on goal and for some reason, instead of shooting, tries to pass, the pass fails and we don't register a shot.
3) To a lesser extent, I think it was Silva, as the ball was crossed in he was probably a foot/half a leg's length away from getting the final touch which would have sent it towards goal.

These are off the top of my head from yesterday, do we want shots? Or do we want chances?

chris63 said:
2nite, but attempts at goal are very low. Honestly thought we would win 3 or 4 nil. Had 2 strikers 2nite still didnt improve our shot ratio. Cant win every game 1-0. Not whinging, its just anoying becouse i no where better then that.
Arsenal fans would laugh at that. And remember that Utd had one shot on target at Sunderland. The top 4 teams don't always play well

But yes we need to improve going forward. I thought there was nothing wrong with the set up yesterday. In the 1st half we could have had 3-4 goals after beating their suicidal offisde trap but a poor cross, or a slip-up meant that we didn't take advantage

You also have to remember that teams are coming to City and putting 1 man up front and 10 behind the ball. Newcastle may have played some nice football, but look what they did yesterday. They moved their defensive line of 4 rightup the pitch so that they had the men to totally disrupt our usual passing game

Attempts at goal this weekend

Chelsea - 11 - Won
United - 10 - Drew
Liverpool - 19 - Lost

Project said:
Attempts at goal this weekend

Chelsea - 11 - Won
United - 10 - Drew
Liverpool - 19 - Lost

When Boateng shoots from 25 yards it's a goal attempt, but it's a scanadlous waste of possession. I'd prefer City to play our possession football, and try and cut open the opposition before pulling the trigger.

Yesterday though, there were a few occasions when we passed instead of shooting - even Tevez did it

chris63 said:
9 shots at goal today, won yes but a little worried. Amost had full squad, are
Bollatelli and AK going to make that much difference?

considering mario is a striker and kolarov is an attacking left back then id say yes they will make a major difference!

Marvin said:
chris63 said:
Arsenal fans would laugh at that. And remember that Utd had one shot on target at Sunderland. The top 4 teams don't always play well

But yes we need to improve going forward. I thought there was nothing wrong with the set up yesterday. In the 1st half we could have had 3-4 goals after beating their suicidal offisde trap but a poor cross, or a slip-up meant that we didn't take advantage

You also have to remember that teams are coming to City and putting 1 man up front and 10 behind the ball. Newcastle may have played some nice football, but look what they did yesterday. They moved their defensive line of 4 rightup the pitch so that they had the men to totally disrupt our usual passing game

Interesting comment, Marvin - I think that the Arsenal comparison is very valid.
there is a lot about our play at the moment that reminds me of both the best - and worst - of Arsenal.

Against Liverpool, I had to pinch myself that I was not watching Arsenal at their best - or - dare I say it - Barcelona FC.
Slick, quick, accurate passing, opening up the defence like a knife through butter, totally dominate posession.

At times we look like Arsenal at their most frustrating - lots of neat passing, clever touches, neat flicks - great build up up to the penalty area, but no finished product.

Newcastle's tactics of playing the offside trap and pushing the front 4 up almost paid off for them, but were also VERY risky.

I think that had AJ played from the start and / or we had a Bellamy / Walcott / lennon to get in behind them, they could have shipped 3 or 4 goals.

Hopefully Balotelli, or even a back-in- form Adebayor will be the answer.

AJ man of the match? Do me a favour.

Vinny Kompany was head and shoulders the most effective player on the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.