God

ElanJo said:
chestervegasblue said:
Apologies, I meant to ask you for the specific passages you were referring to.

You've actually got a stronger faith than most people mate, because in what you're saying, you believe that when we die there is nothing, because humans have no power over death. To hedge your bets on no afterlife whatsoever is an extremely brave move, and if you'll forgive me, slightly foolish. What I mean by this is if I am wrong with my belief and you are right, then the same thing will happen to both of us...nothingness. However, if you are wrong and I am right, then the consequences for you are a lot more serious. Logic tells me that my faith is actually a safer option. But I hope I've conveyed that this isn't the reason why I'm a Christian : ).

I actually missed this. It's obviously not the first time I've heard Pascals wager before. It's a frankly ridiculous and underhanded argument.

First of all if it's not a reason why you're a Christian why bring it up? I find that, as a general rule, you can tell why people believe what they do by the way they try and convince others. If Christians use fear of damnation with those they argue with then it's pretty obvious that they are a Christian because they are scared of the supposed consequences of not being one.
Perhaps Pascal's wager didn't convince you to become a Christian, probablity tells me that it's far more likely that you were brought up to be a Christian, but it's very likely part of why you are still a Christian. The same goes for your apologist arguments here, I highly doubt that you were an atheist who was won over to Christianity by the Cosmological argument for instance. These kinds of things act to reinforce or bolster a prior indoctrinated commitment to the religion, not persuade (they're very weak to boot)
Anyway, no, there is no faith on my part. I don't know what happens when we die but reason and evidence tends to suggest that we return to the state that 'we' were in before we were born. Do you remember that state? me neither.

On to the wager,
1) if there is an afterlife it doesn't automatically mean that Christianity is true. So me not believing in Christianity doesn't automatically send me to Hell in this scenario.
2) if there is an afterlife and there is a God it doesn't automatically mean that you're going to Heaven. There are plenty of Gods in our history that would send a Christian to hell. God's tend to not like those who worship false gods...
3) If it is foolish not to believe in a God, due to potential punishment, why is it not foolish to believe in just 1? You really should believe in every single God to properly "hedge your bets"
4) What if there is an afterlife and a God but this God, who endowed us with the capablity to reason, only rewarded(or didn't punish at least) those who didn't believe in things without evidence or reason?
I could go on but I don't want to beat a dead horse. Pascal's wager is probably the worst apologetic argument going - and that is really saying something!

In the end tho, why on earth would you worship a God that would send people into eternal torment for simply not being convinced of his existence?

But he doesnt!

Off to church now, bye. (seriously).

:O)

Ally.P said:
ElanJo said:
I actually missed this. It's obviously not the first time I've heard Pascals wager before. It's a frankly ridiculous and underhanded argument.

First of all if it's not a reason why you're a Christian why bring it up? I find that, as a general rule, you can tell why people believe what they do by the way they try and convince others. If Christians use fear of damnation with those they argue with then it's pretty obvious that they are a Christian because they are scared of the supposed consequences of not being one.
Perhaps Pascal's wager didn't convince you to become a Christian, probablity tells me that it's far more likely that you were brought up to be a Christian, but it's very likely part of why you are still a Christian. The same goes for your apologist arguments here, I highly doubt that you were an atheist who was won over to Christianity by the Cosmological argument for instance. These kinds of things act to reinforce or bolster a prior indoctrinated commitment to the religion, not persuade (they're very weak to boot)
Anyway, no, there is no faith on my part. I don't know what happens when we die but reason and evidence tends to suggest that we return to the state that 'we' were in before we were born. Do you remember that state? me neither.

On to the wager,
1) if there is an afterlife it doesn't automatically mean that Christianity is true. So me not believing in Christianity doesn't automatically send me to Hell in this scenario.
2) if there is an afterlife and there is a God it doesn't automatically mean that you're going to Heaven. There are plenty of Gods in our history that would send a Christian to hell. God's tend to not like those who worship false gods...
3) If it is foolish not to believe in a God, due to potential punishment, why is it not foolish to believe in just 1? You really should believe in every single God to properly "hedge your bets"
4) What if there is an afterlife and a God but this God, who endowed us with the capablity to reason, only rewarded(or didn't punish at least) those who didn't believe in things without evidence or reason?
I could go on but I don't want to beat a dead horse. Pascal's wager is probably the worst apologetic argument going - and that is really saying something!

In the end tho, why on earth would you worship a God that would send people into eternal torment for simply not being convinced of his existence?

But he doesnt!

Off to church now, bye. (seriously).

:O)

But he does. He brought up Pascal's wager ffs.

ElanJo said:
Ally.P said:
In that God doesn't do that

His version of God does.

Oh, sorry, I forget, yours is the correct version, right? ;) Some swedish guy long ago had a few weird dreams afterall

My version, absolutely. As an all-loving, all-forgiving God. Sure. Even without Swedenborg s interpretations I hope I would think the same.

Ally.P said:
ElanJo said:
His version of God does.

Oh, sorry, I forget, yours is the correct version, right? ;) Some swedish guy long ago had a few weird dreams afterall

My version, absolutely. As an all-loving, all-forgiving God. Sure. Even without Swedenborg s interpretations I hope I would think the same.

And what reason do you have to believe that your version is correct and everyone else's is wrong?

ElanJo said:
Ally.P said:

And what reason do you have to believe that your version is correct and everyone else's is wrong?

You don't half bang on about your anti God agenda. I'm beginning to wonder if you are an agent of Satan.

For someone with such a winning way with language, mammutly, I'm surprised at you.
I'm sure you know that to be "anti-god" someone would have to accept "god" as existing and I'm quite sure that you know that Elanjo does not. Perhaps you mean he's "anti the notion of believing in god" but that would rule out any notion of "satan', which, of course you're fully aware of.
I've always thought that the deliberate misrepresentation of someone' position is quite a mischievious if not an immoral thing to do, obviously it's a matter of conscience but you may want to correct yourself, say 3 hail mary's or whatever it is you people do to justify yourselves when you do wrong, a rational humanist would apologise.

Thousands of years ago different cultures worshiped different Gods usually based around the elements. Apollo was the Greek and Roman sun god, Re or Ra was the Eygptian one. Sol was the Norse one. Zeus and Thor were Thunder Gods...etc etc.
When Christianity first took over they turned all this on its head and made one God that encompassed everything.

My question...do any of the believers still believe in the older Gods? If not why not?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.