God

chestervegasblue said:
ElanJo said:
I'll reply to all this when I have a little more time but I can't help noticing you missed my last question regarding the Biblical God's support of slavery ;)

Regarding my belief/s:
I don't believe in any god. I don't know whether a god/s exists but I think many definitions of god are logically impossible and therefore I believe that these gods do not infact exist (in the same way that a SquareCircle doesn't exist or that 'X is X and not X' is impossible) I can get into this in more detail later tho if you wish.

Apologies, I meant to ask you for the specific passages you were referring to.

You've actually got a stronger faith than most people mate, because in what you're saying, you believe that when we die there is nothing, because humans have no power over death. To hedge your bets on no afterlife whatsoever is an extremely brave move, and if you'll forgive me, slightly foolish. What I mean by this is if I am wrong with my belief and you are right, then the same thing will happen to both of us...nothingness. However, if you are wrong and I am right, then the consequences for you are a lot more serious. Logic tells me that my faith is actually a safer option. But I hope I've conveyed that this isn't the reason why I'm a Christian : ).

Why would God punish him for not believing? This is what pisses me the most about Christianity. People(not you) going around trying to force(scare) their believes onto others. God won't punish him for what he believes or doesn't. If god does punish him, then i am believing in a false God.

Would your parents love you less than your sibling if your sibling calls them more often that you? Any truly loving parents will love their kids no matter who calls them more often.

Pascal's Wager is flawed anyway because what if you've chose the wrong religion or indeed the wrong God. South Park did a piss funny demonstration of it in the episode Probably:

HELL DIRECTOR:
Hello, newcomers, and welcome. Can everybody hear me? Hello? Can everybuh-? Okay. Er, I'm the hell director. Er, it looks like we have about 8,615 of you newbies today, and for those of you who are
a little confused, er, you are dead, and this is hell, so, abandon all hope and er yada yada yada. Er, we are now going to start the orientation process, which will last about-

MAN 4:
Hey, wait a minute, I shouldn't be here. I was a totally strict and devout Protestant! I thought we went to heaven!

HELL DIRECTOR:
Yes, well I'm afraid you were wrong.

SOLDIER:
I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness.

HELL DIRECTOR:
Er, you picked the wrong religion as well.

MAN 5:
Well, who was right? Who gets into heaven?

HELL DIRECTOR:
I'm afraid it was the Mormons. Yes, the Mormons were the correct answer.

CROWD:
Awww.

Interestingly enough, Matt and Trey (the creators of South Park for the shamefully uninitiated) do believe in a God.

BulgarianPride said:
chestervegasblue said:
Apologies, I meant to ask you for the specific passages you were referring to.

You've actually got a stronger faith than most people mate, because in what you're saying, you believe that when we die there is nothing, because humans have no power over death. To hedge your bets on no afterlife whatsoever is an extremely brave move, and if you'll forgive me, slightly foolish. What I mean by this is if I am wrong with my belief and you are right, then the same thing will happen to both of us...nothingness. However, if you are wrong and I am right, then the consequences for you are a lot more serious. Logic tells me that my faith is actually a safer option. But I hope I've conveyed that this isn't the reason why I'm a Christian : ).

Why would God punish him for not believing? This is what pisses me the most about Christianity. People going around trying to force(scare) their believes onto others. God won't punish him for what he believes or doesn't. If god does punish him, then i am believing in a false God.

Would your parents love you less than your sibling if your sibling calls them more often that you? Any truly loving parents will love their kids no matter who calls them more often.

I'm being questioned, so I'm answering, I'm not doing God justice if I lay down and let you walk over me with your beliefs. Besides, you actually contradicted yourself by following it up with
"God won't punish him for what he believes or doesn't"
because in your book, that's forcing beliefs on people.

If you've chosen that you don't want to believe in God on Earth, then surely this choice needs to be maintained for eternity, otherwise God undermines your freedom to choose.

"Would your parents love you less than your sibling if your sibling calls them more often that you?"

This is not about how much God loves us. There is nothing that you could ever do to make God love you any more or any less than he does right now. A parent will still love you if you make the choice to leave the country and move to the other side of the world, but they won't stop the consequences of that choice happening.

chestervegasblue said:
BulgarianPride said:
Why would God punish him for not believing? This is what pisses me the most about Christianity. People going around trying to force(scare) their believes onto others. God won't punish him for what he believes or doesn't. If god does punish him, then i am believing in a false God.

I'm being questioned, so I'm answering, I'm not doing God justice if I lay down and let you walk over me with your beliefs. Besides, you actually contradicted yourself by following it up with

If you've chosen that you don't want to believe in God on Earth, then surely this choice needs to be maintained for eternity, otherwise God undermines your freedom to choose.

"Would your parents love you less than your sibling if your sibling calls them more often that you?"

This is not about how much God loves us. There is nothing that you could ever do to make God love you any more or any less than he does right now. A parent will still love you if you make the choice to leave the country and move to the other side of the world, but they won't stop the consequences of that choice happening.

I am not walking over your believes, nor do i have intentions of changing them.

So you are saying there are consequences for not believing? Why would that be the case?
It just does not make many logical sense. God, creates us, he then punishes us for not believing? If that was the case, how sure are you that Christianity is the right religion, or have you read over every other religious text?

What my little mind can't comprehend is: why would God treat me any different than you or ElanJo or anyone who doesn't believe if he loves us all the same? Are we discriminated based on believe?

Skashion is making a very good point in his post.
Christianity has existed for 2010 years , hundreds of years before, there were many gods.
Who's to say we are believing in a right one?

One more thing. Who created God?

-- Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:08 pm --

chestervegasblue said:
tonea2003 said:
got to step in here, throwing in the fear factor is absolutely outrageous( elanjo won't be swayed anyway) you have no proof what so ever of anything remotely afterlife. typical christian scaremongering of you will feel the wrath if you don't believe.
scandalous.

Tonea, I was also responding to a previous point made by ElanJo that my faith is compleltey bereft of logic, which is what I was trying to do with Pascal's Wager...it's not a fear mongering attempt, the relationship that enjoy with God is not based on fear, so why should my methods of expression involve it? I don't reason to strike fear into people to have faith because of how amazing and good knowing God is.

Trying to convey it in words is difficult, it's easier demonstrated in life.

so why should my methods of expression involve it?I don't reason to strike fear into people to have faith because of how amazing and good knowing God is.

However, if you are wrong and I am right, then the consequences for you are a lot more serious

I don't know.That last quote is kind of a threat...

BulgarianPride said:
chestervegasblue said:

So you are saying there are consequences for not believing? Why would that be the case?
It just does not make many logical sense. God, creates us, he then punishes us for not believing? If that was the case, how sure are you that Christianity is the right religion, or have you read over every other religious text?

What my little mind can't comprehend is: why would God treat me any different than you or ElanJo or anyone who doesn't believe if he loves us all the same? Are we discriminated based on believe?

Christianity has existed for 2010 years , hundreds of years before, there were many gods.

chestervegasblue said:
Tonea, I was also responding to a previous point made by ElanJo that my faith is compleltey bereft of logic, which is what I was trying to do with Pascal's Wager...it's not a fear mongering attempt, the relationship that enjoy with God is not based on fear, so why should my methods of expression involve it? I don't reason to strike fear into people to have faith because of how amazing and good knowing God is.

Trying to convey it in words is difficult, it's easier demonstrated in life.

so why should my methods of expression involve it?I don't reason to strike fear into people to have faith because of how amazing and good knowing God is.

However, if you are wrong and I am right, then the consequences for you are a lot more serious

Well, if I have made the right choice, and if the Bible is true, and what it says is going to happen, then it's not a threat, it's a fact...something that will happen rather than might if it's true. Threats are things that might happen.

On the flipside, if the Bible is a lie and absolutely nothing happens when I die, then nothing good or bad can happen to anyone...because it's nothing. That's not a threat either, that's a statement. But what on earth are we living for if at the end of our lives there is nothing. If it's true, then we are in a truly hopeless existence...we live for 70-80 years, pay some bills and some taxes, maybe be nice to people, love someone if we're lucky, and then fall into nothing. How depressing!

chestervegasblue said:
ElanJo said:
Point 1)
Non of that says anything to to the immoral nature of eternal punishment for finite transgressions (let alone not being convinced of Yahweh/Jesus' -as depicted- existence)
Free Will/Choice simply doesn't come into the equation when it comes to beliefs. Belief isn't a matter of choice.

Point 2)
Am I to read from your post that you think thought-crime is a good moral law?

"God does not want anything to get in the way of his relationship with us."
Well, in that case, a little more evidence than an ancient, self-contradictory, changing, book would be nice! God is putting the souls of billions upon billions of people in the hands of sinful people. Something a little less editable than a book would have been a better idea tbh ;)

Point 3)
Ok, a simple one for starters:
-If you know that X is going to happen you cannot change it - thus you are not omnipotent/all-powerful.
-If you have the power to change X you cannot know that X is going to happen - thus you are not omniscient/all-knowing.
-You cannot be omnipotent/all-powerful and omniscient/all-knowing.

What other things are there? (I have an idea of what you're referring to but I don't want to put words in your mouth)

Point 4)
We can get into the specifics of the resurrection and the diciples if you like but my point was simply to refute the idea that "nobody would die for a lie".

Point 5)
Within 100 years isn't contempory and if you want to say that anything within 100 years is reliable then what about the other so-called Messiahs? What about the parts of the bible that you seem to dismiss ("Mathews" account of the graves emptying and invading Jerusalem). You can't just make a blanket statement like that.

Josephus' writings about Jesus are, to be kind, extremely unreliable.

In that case what are your thoughts on God supporting slavery?

1) Eternal punishment is eternity away from God. If you choose to be away from God in this life, then as I said earlier, God respects that decision and maintains that you are away from him in the next. Transgressions may be finite, but the consequences of our transgressions could be infinite, like a domino effect causing other sins. But from my perspective the point is, regardless of whether transgressions are finite or infinite, we can access heaven through no deed of our own through Jesus. By letting his only son die on the cross, God completely shattered the moral structure that we know, one perfect, sinless life in exchange for countless imperfect ones.
If hell is immoral, then grace and heaven are a thousand times more immoral in that they do not conform with accepted principles of right and wrong behaviour. What is more immoral, someone who receives eternity in hell for knowingly going against the things that God knows are best for them, or a serial rapist who receives eternal life just because he accepted Jesus? We're told quite clearly in the Bible that the wages for sin is death...but that through Christ we can have life...if we choose him.

This is the choice that I am talking about, you can choose to believe that God came down to earth in human form and died for the sins of everyone who will ever live, or you can choose to believe not to. Can hell be immoral if you've got the opportunity to avoid it?

2) If I were to sleep with a girl that took my eye in the street, then I would be committing adultery against my girlfriend. How is thinking about a girl in that context who isn't my girlfriend not just as bad. In my heart, I'd be betraying her, because I'm lusting after someone else, and that cannot be right. And on earth, there is no middle ground between right and wrong, so if something is not right, then it must be wrong. Being aware of the things you think doesn't only protect you, it protects others as well.

Even inspired people can be wrong sometimes, there are some discrepancies in the Bible. But Jesus fulfils over 400 prophecies that are made hundreds of years before he was born, and I am convinced his teaching is flawless. But there's also the part that faith has to play in it. And faith is risky, because it's being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we cannot see. And I've tried your side of the fence, and I am SO much more content this side. And at the end of the day, if I am wrong, then I'm confident that I've really lived. And if I don't get reward when I die, then I know I'll be at peace because I've lived a life that is based on true and pure values.

God trusts us, which is why he uses us to tell other people about him, like a father trusting his child with something precious.

Point 3:
-Just because one thing has happened doesn't mean that was what always going to happen, it may have been changed. God works all things for good. Just because someone has the power to do something doesn't mean they are obliged to do it.

-Time is a social construct, in other words, God created the idea of time, and therefore created time. This makes it possible for God to see through time, and the consequences of actions, hence omniscient.

Thanks for not putting words into my mouth, I was thinking of omnibenevolent as well.

Point 4: More than happy to get into those specifics if you so wish.

Point 5: Would any historical document not be treated with high skepticism and considered sketchy given the magnitude of the events?

I'd love to hear what your personal beliefs are : )

Point 1:
1)
"If you choose to be away from God in this life, then as I said earlier, God respects that decision and maintains that you are away from him in the next."
This is the choice that I am talking about, you can choose to believe that God came down to earth in human form and died for the sins of everyone who will ever live, or you can choose to believe not to. Can hell be immoral if you've got the opportunity to avoid it?

Again, choice is irrelevant. In order to choose whether to follow God you have to first believe in it's existence. Belief is not a choice!

If hell is immoral, then grace and heaven are a thousand times more immoral in that they do not conform with accepted principles of right and wrong behaviour. What is more immoral, someone who receives eternity in hell for knowingly going against the things that God knows are best for them, or a serial rapist who receives eternal life just because he accepted Jesus? We're told quite clearly in the Bible that the wages for sin is death...but that through Christ we can have life...if we choose him.

Yes, the whole concept is immoral. Forgiveness itself can be a moral concept but the person who should do the forgiving is the person wronged (in your example, the person raped).
Not only that, it's immoral in that it rewards credulity and punishes rationalism.
Think about it. If there is a God "he" created the laws of nature, time and space. "he" is a brilliant mind. Do you honestly think "he", if "he" is concerned with humans that is, would want us to throw away skepticism, reason etc? because it's these things that are the enemy of the biblical god. Do you really think this brilliant mind would knowingly create us sinful (an arbituary concept btw) and then punish us for this?
If I grew up a Christian I think by now I would be wondering whether Yahweh was good. Infact I'd be wondering whether the bible (If for some reason I had it in my head that the bible was important) was instead written by Satan in order to trick us. How do christians even know that they're worshiping the right one? They don't. They just have blind faith that you are. This is exactly what Satan would want is it not? For people to blindly follow.
I've digressed enough so I'll just move on...

Point 2.)
Thought Crime is the pinnacle of totalitarianism.
We're bult to lust after others. We can, once we catch ourselves doing so, temper it but it's in our nature. We can't control every thought that passes throught our head. Some thoughts you could consider immoral but that just shows how fooked up god's game is, so to speak. He creates us sinful and punsihes us for it. I'm sure you'd agree that it is impossible not to sin.
And on earth, there is no middle ground between right and wrong, so if something is not right, then it must be wrong.
Really? Come on mate, that is silly. I don't think I need to give you examples where this is not the case.

Point 3:
-Just because one thing has happened doesn't mean that was what always going to happen, it may have been changed. God works all things for good. Just because someone has the power to do something doesn't mean they are obliged to do it.

-Time is a social construct, in other words, God created the idea of time, and therefore created time. This makes it possible for God to see through time, and the consequences of actions, hence omniscient.

I don't think you understand me. Let me put it another way...
If I know that X is going to occur I cannot have even the potential (power) to stop X from occuring otherwise I could not know that X is going to happen.

To know X is going to occur is to say you have absolute 100% certainty that it is going to do so.

With regards to omnibenevolence, how do you come to conclusion that the biblical god omnibenevolent?
In general terms, being omnibenolvent isn't a requirement for a God. A God could be evil, indifferent or good. To look at how the universe is I'd say that if there is a God then it is indifferent.

Point 4)
Maybe later. It's a frustrating topic to discuss since it's an argument over a book

Point 5)
Well at least one contempory account of.... anything miraculous would be a start.
If the graves did empty and flood into Jerusalem do you not think that we might have at least one or 2 mentions somewhere??

The thing with these religions is that the veil of time makes them seem, to some people at least, more plausable. If you heard today about graves emptying or someone rising rom the dead or walking on water in some part of the world you wouldn't believe it. You'd need hard evidence to do so. You have nothing but ancient hearsay (by people who at the time were extremely superstitious and fond of making legends out of people), decades after these alleged incidents supposedly occured, to point to with Christianity.

Let me ask you, you mentioned earlier (I think) that anything that stops us from entering a saving relationship with god is sinful. In that case, is skepticism, reasion etc. sinful? because it cannot be denied that it is these things that stop many many people, myself included, from believing in the existence of Yahweh/Jesus and therfore from entering a saving relationship with him.

Oh and with regards to slavery and the bible, I don't remember the exact passages off the top of my head, however, they are in Exodus and Deuteronomy

chestervegasblue said:
BulgarianPride said:

Well, if I have made the right choice, and if the Bible is true, and what it says is going to happen, then it's not a threat, it's a fact...something that will happen rather than might if it's true. Threats are things that might happen.

On the flipside, if the Bible is a lie and absolutely nothing happens when I die, then nothing good or bad can happen to anyone...because it's nothing. That's not a threat either, that's a statement. But what on earth are we living for if at the end of our lives there is nothing. If it's true, then we are in a truly hopeless existence...we live for 70-80 years, pay some bills and some taxes, maybe be nice to people, love someone if we're lucky, and then fall into nothing. How depressing!

I fail to believe that a god would punish us for not believing. It makes no sense to do so. If he does then he is not an all loving one, and does not deserve my prayers.

We are living on earth to accumulate knowledge, to get to a point where we become "God" like. Being able to spread and protect live everywhere, not just on earth. Every human being that has lived so far, has helped make our lives today much easier. We are doing the same for our kids, and their kids, and so on. I don't see anything depressing in that.

I can accept the fact that when i die nothing might happen, but i chose not to though :).

nashark said:
mammutly said:
You should have stopped after the first three words.

The rest exceeds the forgiveable ignorance range by some distance,

It was a joke, my beloved son. Thanks for highlighting the first three words, though, just in case I didn't know where to find them. You should lighten up a bit. Do you believe in God, mammutly?

-- Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 pm --

des hardi said:
nobody pays him any attention `cos he craves it!

cnut *ahem*

;)

A bit out of order.

I'd respond to you with something offensive but I don't quite know who you are, which is sad because me, as a member of the forum, should be able to recognise your username after so many posts. Under this same logic, your attention seeking argument crumbles spectacularly. That's because in a fewer period of time, you have mustered up approximately double my posts, all of which are pretty much insignificant as no-one can read them or understand them (I don't mean to offend if English is your 2nd language).

So, to conclude, the 4000+ posts you have made are a real waste of your time as nobody cares for your opinion.

This leads me to believe that it is you who is the c.unt for wasting your life away on typing things which people don't even read; they just skip over them. It really is a sad state of affairs.

Don't bother responding because you are on the blacklist now with other members of the illiterati (I appreciate the irony).

So, yeah, jog on.
you are a funny little fellow aren`t you nas` you knob jockey...like john pantsil i ll be jogging past a house near you! ;)

After wine and weed, God exists - he just doesn't make it known and it's all a test. Well thats what I was taught.

As a catholic, growing up having to take religious studies as a mandatory qualification (rather than something that actually makes a difference to what the world wants) I can categorically state that if there is a God, what with the wars and disputes that goes on in 'their' name, it's a load of bollocks.

Sister Anne will probably rap me knuckles, but I think even she was in doubt.

What kind of God let's countries fued? What kind of God let's a fellow man fight with another man for the same religious views?

It's bollocks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.