Going Green to save Planet Earth

Some of that post is poppycock.

According to the World Bank 76% of China lives above the world upper-middle income poverty line. In 2019 (no figures for 2020/2021 yet), only 0.6% of the Chinese population live below the world extreme poverty line (down from 49.8% at the turn of the century):

“No matter what metric is applied, China’s progress in tackling poverty is nevertheless apparent. In the year 2000, around half of Chinese, more than 600 million, still lived below the national poverty line. Nearly all Chinese lived below the poverty line for upper-middle income countries as recently as 1990.”

(These are World Bank figures used at the same standard for the whole world, not just Chinese figures. For example, using the same standards 4.4% of Brazil are under what the 0.6% of China is.)

I agree about the next lot of things you talked about, but, as well as things I’ve already mentioned you have to factor in that a huge amount of the rest of the world contribute to China’s CO2 emissions. We all buy things that are made in China, that new kettle you bought recently, that new toaster I bought recently… we all add to China’s carbon footprint. They are also the #1 for building investments (including extensive road networks) in Africa, and build many things here in Britain n’all (in 2013 they invested 20% of the funds and many of the materials to build Airport City). All that cement and steel needs to be produced somewhere and the rest of the world looks to China to make it all but then have the cheek to moan about their carbon footprint.

They aren’t doing anything particularly drastic compared to anyone else when it comes to what they emit. They simply have a huge population and the rest of the world uses China as well. And at 43rd in the world per capita (which does matter, we are a human species living on the same planet, and they aren’t anywhere near the biggest problem per person) they are well down the list. They’ve stayed around the 30s and 40s places in getting those hundreds of millions out of poverty over the last 20-30 years. Standard of living will go up for those already out but they’re doing a huge amount of achieve that through Green initiatives.
The basic premise remains and much of your detail actually supports that claim that their footprint will continue to rise.

I have no doubt that they will NEVER reach net zero ever PC no where near it.

the god news is that they don't need to for the planet not to be fired as some suggest the planet will.

I am not moaning about their carbon footprint I am more concerned about their military strength and how that has progressed particularly in recent times of course using lots of carbon to do so.

This is the problem. Until that train cost becomes at least half the price of a car journey then nothing is going to change. Public transport needs to be free paid for by the tax payers. It's the only way people would use it more
Especially internal city region public transport. The trams and busses in Manchester should be free. The economic benefit would subsidize the loss of earnings to some extent.

Especially internal city region public transport. The trams and busses in Manchester should be free. The economic benefit would subsidize the loss of earnings to some extent.
Agreed. But if you think Manchester is bad, try living in any small town. In my mum's town, it's basically about 20p extra to take a taxi to the town centre, and if you have more than one person, it's cheaper. Privatised bus companies with monopolies all over the country and then they wonder why everyone gets a car.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.