Going on holiday by yourself.

Spend half of holidays on my own as the wife likes reading by the pool and I'm out looking at stuff. As I've retired and she's still working (her choice) I may revert to solo trips - but maybe not staying in youth hostels this time.....

Since my wife died, I've been on holiday on my own 3 times, twice for 1 week holidays, but the first one to a B&B in Normandy for 3 nights. The B&B was where we should have stayed the night after my wife died, as it's on the way home from the Dordogne, where we had had our holiday. As we had stayed there on the way down, I felt I had to go back, but it took me 17 months to do so, and it was very strange driving there on my own.

The following year I went twice to Majorca, where I have been many times, but, again, it was a totally different experience. But I survived.

It wouldn't worry me to do it again, but the other holidays I have had since her death have been with family or friends, including a trip to Barcelona (the 2-1 defeat).

It depends on your outlook. If you're happy in your own company, go for it. Life is a constant learning curve, so enjoy it while you can.

Yes, a trip that changed my life - to Barcelona, 17 years ago. Went there to see a music concert, fell in love with the city & eventually the club

Guiri Army!

It depends how you define the term ''holiday''. I went to Malaga and Stockholm on my own for 48 and 72 hours respectively this year and that was just about enough. Any more time than that and I'd be craving the company of people I already know. Malaga was certainly the perfect holiday because the weather was nice for January. I had Malaga v Barca on the Saturday and City away at West Ham to watch afterwards so that was me occupied. I otherwise felt very relaxed having a ramble around the streets of a nice Spanish city just taking in the sights. Stockholm was wetter but it was more research for a creative writing piece I hope will become my first novel.

Anyone I know and trust is welcome to come with me on one of these trips. I'll ask them to book their own plane ticket and hotel unless they stump the cash up front. I've know people to fall out forever over this stuff.

Guiri Army!

It depends how you define the term ''holiday''. I went to Malaga and Stockholm on my own for 48 and 72 hours respectively this year and that was just about enough. Any more time than that and I'd be craving the company of people I already know. Malaga was certainly the perfect holiday because the weather was nice for January. I had Malaga v Barca on the Saturday and City away at West Ham to watch afterwards so that was me occupied. I otherwise felt very relaxed having a ramble around the streets of a nice Spanish city just taking in the sights. Stockholm was wetter but it was more research for a creative writing piece I hope will become my first novel.

Anyone I know and trust is welcome to come with me on one of these trips. I'll ask them to book their own plane ticket and hotel unless they stump the cash up front. I've know people to fall out forever over this stuff.
You don't know me and nobody trusts me, but if you pay for everything I promise to go somewhere completely different to give you the solitude you'll require to complete your masterpiece, you can thank me upon my return

Would be my dream! Always End up with 5 of us on holiday. Would love some escape.

I might go back to Malaga solely to have another look at the gorgeous girl working at Malaga's club shop in the Larios mall. Absolute babe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.