Going to watch other teams

A lot of folk will obvs have split ties because of geography - growing up in one area and having an allegiance to City for any number of reasons - which I can totally understand. I have met and know brilliant Blues who are local to somewhere other than Manchester.

But I do consider myself lucky that I grew up in the shadow of Maine Rd and came to City as my local team as a kid (though it didn't always feel that way in the 90s), and I live down the tram line from the ground now, so I don't have to have split loyalties and I don't have anything to prove to anyone who thinks City fans are newbies and glory hunters unless they can recite the 1998 youth side backwards.

I keep a bit of an eye on how the Rags are doing simply because they are a Manchester team - at least nominally - and I do have Rag friends, relatives and colleagues, for which reason I did once go and watch FC United in their early days to see what was happening.

I will watch Arsenal on telly because the Mrs is a Londoner and that's her family's team, but the kids hate them and the Rags - to the point of rubbishing the first to their mum's face and ignoring the latter completely. Years ago, on freebies, I sat in United and Liverpool home ends when Ronaldo was in his pomp and when Torres was in his pomp and felt so little I have no memory of either game.

Only other side I go and see is the Sunday league U15s my mate coaches. I have been tempted to watch Maine Rd FC on days when we aren't playing simply because they are local to me and are not a rebel club, but a club formed by blues in the fifties, but have never got around to it. I can see plenty of circumstances in which I could end up watching a League team as a neutral, and I can't say the price of tickets for Greater Manchester's lower league teams isn't attractive, but I'd never pull on another League team's shirt.

When I emigrated and lived in Boston first, a few City fans in Boston took me to watch New England Revolution.
I enjoyed it because although the standard was low, the tailgate parties before and after were great!
I refused to buy a shirt on the basis that their sponsor was (still is) United Health Care.

Live in Tampa now and been to see the Rowdies once. Doubt there will be a second time

I know several life long rags and Arsenal fans whose social media is now covered in them wearing Stockport kits and going to see Stockport.

Embarrassing really.
The core support is small at County but I know many go who actually really support another team. They were getting 2000 in the 70s and early 80s and the core is probably only double that I would say even now.

I've been to watch the Biffos a few times and I've quite enjoyed it and look out for their results. The football is night and day compared to City and it's incredible to think we were both around in the same division at one point. Of course, I didn't have a soft spot for them then!

It's strange as the stewards literally know the people going through the turnstyles! Just going through the turnstyles reminds me a bit of Maine Road as well, back to a simpler time of being worried with my paper ST whether an extra page would be taken out! It's just things like going to order a pie and the person selling it is from Oldham and the "shop" is literally a room with a couple of tables in. Parking is a £5er and it takes a few minutes to get out.

I couldn't watch, say, Arsenal v Villa and be interested in it. However, for teams like Oldham it is fascinating to see how "bad" the players are yet also realising if they played with me back in the day they'd be the best player on the pitch. Puts it into perspective and then you think how good someone like KdB would be!

I'd recommend a day out to somewhere like Oldham, it's an eye-opener but in a good, old-fashioned way!

Been to see Stockport County a bit time this season, years ago used to get tickets through school, now my old man gets tickets free through his work and been nice to spend time with him, in turn I've grown a soft spot for them.

I'm a city fan but also a football fan... and league 2 football is hilarious to watch, it's the polar opposite from watching the perfect pitch and beautiful football we play.... plus the pies are cheaper and better

I've done lots of games as a groundhopper and sometimes give a small measure of support to the home side. But I'd never wear a shirt or scarf of another team.

I’ve done it occasionally in the past but won’t do again.

I’ve fallen out of love with the sport of football progressively over the years, and actively prefer to watch some other sports now. City are of course the exception and my desire to watch them is as strong as it ever was, but non-City holds no appeal whatsoever. I do watch England at tournaments though.

More likely to pause and watch the lads playing in the park for half an hour on a weekend than watch any other pro-team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.