Golf Thread

Random question please Blues... Heading to our timeshare in Orlando in March (covid permitting and delayed by two years so far) and for the first time in around 15 visits I'll be playing golf as my two brother in laws and SWMBO's sisters are coming with us... Playing maybe 3 rounds in the time we are there so would you advise taking our own bats or hiring them when we are there?

Random question please Blues... Heading to our timeshare in Orlando in March (covid permitting and delayed by two years so far) and for the first time in around 15 visits I'll be playing golf as my two brother in laws and SWMBO's sisters are coming with us... Playing maybe 3 rounds in the time we are there so would you advise taking our own bats or hiring them when we are there?
Only played one round in the US, International Drive in Orlando, took clubs, traded them in for new ones at about half the price of the cost in the UK, got a bit of dirt on them so avoided import tax. However, I'd just rent over there, guess golf has gone expensive though with the exchange rate as it is.

One of my favourite golf weekends of the season, the pro am from St Andrews, Kingsbarns and Carnoustie starting tomorrow. Will have a small wager on Bob Mcyntyre, couple of Ryder cup players including Tommy Fleetwood to be avoided. Local lad from Salford Marcus Armitage having a good season, won nearly €500k, a little each way bet on him as well.

Only played one round in the US, International Drive in Orlando, took clubs, traded them in for new ones at about half the price of the cost in the UK, got a bit of dirt on them so avoided import tax. However, I'd just rent over there, guess golf has gone expensive though with the exchange rate as it is.
Everything is expensive because of the rate and Covid.. rental cars are up around 60% on what we paid last time IF you collect at MCO.. so I’m going to pick up at Hard Rock or Universal and then it’s much cheaper.. Good idea on the clubs re the trade in… I might think about doing that

Rental clubs are around $20 a day for 7 day hire (not checked on a course by course basis yet) so we’re considering taking 3 x half sets and out them in one golf club carrier (then split and costs)

Playing maybe 3 rounds in the time we are there so would you advise taking our own bats or hiring them when we are there?
You've used the horrifically unfunny term "bats" when referring to clubs, the type of thing the office bore does when he/she tries to be funny about golf.

I hope you get the shanks, as recompense

You've used the horrifically unfunny term "bats" when referring to clubs, the type of thing the office bore does when he/she tries to be funny about golf.

Cheese and ham, now just cheese
Andrew Nutter
Tree Iron
Big Doris (used to be Bertha until Callaway nicked it)
Sally Gunnell
Worm Shagger
Butterfly with sore feet
Dance floor
Where the band plays

Bats, no worse:-)

You must have me confused with somebody who gives a fuck… I’m playing off 32 at the minute so I can’t get any worse…. Played off 22 on the old handicap system years ago but struggling since I went back to the game.. A repair after a broken collar bone may be at the root of the issue… well, that’s my excuse anyway

Rental clubs are around $20 a day for 7 day hire (not checked on a course by course basis yet) so we’re considering taking 3 x half sets and out them in one golf club carrier (then split and costs)
Be warned that most courses will insist that each player has their own bag/set, so taking 3 x half sets in one bag won't help much. You'd be better taking 1 full set with the other two putting in 2-3 important clubs each, then renting 2 other sets.

Just out of interest as it that time of year. How do you golfers feel about your clubs autumn maintenance to the course ?

Do you accept it as important work to keep your course in good condition and improvement, or just the greenkeepers doing it to ruin your round of golf for next few weeks ?

Personally I use to really look forward to doing the autumn maintenance after a summer of basically cutting and irrigation. It was a nice change.

Just out of interest as it that time of year. How do you golfers feel about your clubs autumn maintenance to the course ?

Do you accept it as important work to keep your course in good condition and improvement, or just the greenkeepers doing it to ruin your round of golf for next few weeks ?

Personally I use to really look forward to doing the autumn maintenance after a summer of basically cutting and irrigation. It was a nice change.
No problem at ours, they are restructuring three holes which involves a lot of graft for the staff. They are well respected at our club (Ashton under Lyne) and I've mentioned before one of them plays off 3 and won the club championship this year.

The game is good for us seniors, mental health, gentle exercise and the social aspect are more important than the game itself, we all like to be competitive though. Amongst our social group we have a comp that we have named:

"The Race to "Do Buy" a Round, £5 to enter when we play, singles and team game, everyone has money in the book, shared out at our Christmas curry night in December.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.