Golf Thread

No problem at ours, they are restructuring three holes which involves a lot of graft for the staff. They are well respected at our club (Ashton under Lyne) and I've mentioned before one of them plays off 3 and won the club championship this year.

The game is good for us seniors, mental health, gentle exercise and the social aspect are more important than the game itself, we all like to be competitive though. Amongst our social group we have a comp that we have named:

"The Race to "Do Buy" a Round, £5 to enter when we play, singles and team game, everyone has money in the book, shared out at our Christmas curry night in December.

Cheers !

I was always under pressure to get the maintenance done as quick as possible and to get the greens back up to standard asap, Regardless of weather etc. But we cant control nature or break downs.
Members would expect every hollow cord hole to be filled in in one hit !. But with only 5 staff it was impossible.

Most golfers would be ok with it but the ones that werent would let you know.
Our biggest problem would be society's that the club didnt tell them of the planned maintenance when they booked. They had the day ruined because of greens out as we worked or the top dressing was still thick etc. We would get the abuse from them when it wasnt our fault. The club wanted the money so didnt tell society's. Thankfully they do now !! Well they did when I left, might not now lol

The other thing the club would do is organise a big tournament a week or two after we finished.

Cheers !

I was always under pressure to get the maintenance done as quick as possible and to get the greens back up to standard asap, Regardless of weather etc. But we cant control nature or break downs.
Members would expect every hollow cord hole to be filled in in one hit !. But with only 5 staff it was impossible.

Most golfers would be ok with it but the ones that werent would let you know.
Our biggest problem would be society's that the club didnt tell them of the planned maintenance when they booked. They had the day ruined because of greens out as we worked or the top dressing was still thick etc. We would get the abuse from them when it wasnt our fault. The club wanted the money so didnt tell society's. Thankfully they do now !! Well they did when I left, might not now lol

The other thing the club would do is organise a big tournament a week or two after we finished.
I know you didn't enjoy your latter time as a Green Keeper, there's some ignorant people in all walks off life, we always acknowledge the staff on course, just a simple good morning is not difficult.

I know you didn't enjoy your latter time as a Green Keeper, there's some ignorant people in all walks off life, we always acknowledge the staff on course, just a simple good morning is not difficult.

Had a uncle who lived in Sale and he was a member of a 9 hole golf course cant remember the name Northanden perhaps. But I could never talk golf or football with him !.
He was a salesman/rep selling fuel for a living but thought he knew more than me about greenkeeping and football.

Once played him at my couse at Chestfield ( for free lol ). I beat him and he couldnt believe that I only play once ever 5 years or so !

Well he was a rag ;-)

Be warned that most courses will insist that each player has their own bag/set, so taking 3 x half sets in one bag won't help much. You'd be better taking 1 full set with the other two putting in 2-3 important clubs each, then renting 2 other sets.
I meant 3 half sets in bags, inside one golf holdall / flight bag sorry…

Playing Sickleholme (Bamford) near Sheffield tomorrow . Played it last year and it was in excellent condition. Think the head green keeper is off scratch and keeps it in great condition.

Last edited:
Just out of interest as it that time of year. How do you golfers feel about your clubs autumn maintenance to the course ?

Do you accept it as important work to keep your course in good condition and improvement, or just the greenkeepers doing it to ruin your round of golf for next few weeks ?

Personally I use to really look forward to doing the autumn maintenance after a summer of basically cutting and irrigation. It was a nice change.

Interesting from the greenkeeper on maintenance.

Wonder how much they cost

When I play golf, I never yell out Fore! I can't think of it in time, and I'm too busy mumbling No way is it gonna hit those guys

Random question please Blues... Heading to our timeshare in Orlando in March (covid permitting and delayed by two years so far) and for the first time in around 15 visits I'll be playing golf as my two brother in laws and SWMBO's sisters are coming with us... Playing maybe 3 rounds in the time we are there so would you advise taking our own bats or hiring them when we are there?

We were in Florida this March, just shy of a month. Played a lot of golf in various parts of the state. The one thing that stood out was the poor condition of several courses especially in the Orlando area. Very disappointed. I'd check the latest reviews on where you want to play. Use Golfnow if you can and book a day or two ahead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.