Golf Thread

I wasn't having a go.
I just think that the manufacturers are trying to pull the wool over our eyes regarding so called advances in technology. A well matched set from the last 30 years would have everyone shooting about the same scores. The only game changer was when wooden woods were made obsolete when metal woods were introduced .

I wasn't having a go.
I just think that the manufacturers are trying to pull the wool over our eyes regarding so called advances in technology. A well matched set from the last 30 years would have everyone shooting about the same scores. The only game changer was when wooden woods were made obsolete when metal woods were introduced .
That’s not true though mate. The MOI and lower CoG in a modern set makes them far easier to play than older clubs.

A modern 7 iron will go much further than one from 15 years ago and yet still reach the same apex and land just as softly. That’s about weight and lower CoG. I’m literally the living trial of what I’m talking about. I’ve played all bar about 10 days since October last year and swapped out the irons 5 weeks ago. I’m hitting my 7 iron longer and higher than I was hitting my 5 iron.

My 5 iron is going much further and is much easier to hit than my old 3 iron which I wouldn’t hit at all. That’s not a placebo effect. It’s simply that modern irons as far more forgiving.

That’s the second time you’ve been against loft buffing and yet no one does the same with regards to driver loft (9-12 degrees).

I’ll bet my 7 iron goes just as high and lands as soft as your 7 iron and I’ll bet it goes 20 yards further.

But to agree with you, I carry 4 wedges after my PW so I’m properly gapped and they suit me just fine.
I'm currently playing a set of Mizuno Pro irons which are muscle back blades from 20 years ago. I get nowhere near those yardages with them but they helped me to get down to 2 handicap back in the day.

I'm currently playing a set of Mizuno Pro irons which are muscle back blades from 20 years ago. I get nowhere near those yardages with them but they helped me to get down to 2 handicap back in the day.
Your talent got you down to 2 back in the day. If you played with modern clubs and had the same ability to play as frequently then you’d be hitting 9 irons in and getting the ball to stop dead rather than 7 irons and likely be at scratch. But kudos on the old handicap. As for someone that’s starting out and has the cash, a one year old set of G.I. irons are going to be much easier to hit than 25 year old clubs.

That’s not true though mate. The MOI and lower CoG in a modern set makes them far easier to play than older clubs.

A modern 7 iron will go much further than one from 15 years ago and yet still reach the same apex and land just as softly. That’s about weight and lower CoG. I’m literally the living trial of what I’m talking about. I’ve played all bar about 10 days since October last year and swapped out the irons 5 weeks ago. I’m hitting my 7 iron longer and higher than I was hitting my 5 iron.

My 5 iron is going much further and is much easier to hit than my old 3 iron which I wouldn’t hit at all. That’s not a placebo effect. It’s simply that modern irons as far more forgiving.
Thats great, you've got to find what works for you. A lot depends on whether you can find the centre of the club face and certainly designs have improved to help with off centre hits. At least we've got a choice now unlike back in the day it was blades or nothing.

They make all the difference mate going from that age to modern tech. I recently purchased some ex-display Callaway Mavrik irons and sold my old (2008) Callaway X-22 Tours. The difference is like night and day. They’re so much longer (9 iron rather than 7 iron for 150 yards) and 5 iron rather than 5 wood for 210. I’ve now got so much more confidence stepping up to a ball than I had before.

The off centre strikes aren’t so much of a problem and they have great height and soft landings on the green. I’d say they’ve knocked 4-5 shots off my average round (I do play every day however so have been able to groove into them quite fast).

Average yardage from my last 10 rounds my garmin app using the club sensors:

View attachment 14138
And believe me, it’s not because I’m suddenly stronger than I was a month ago. It’s all in the tech.
Interesting, I've x22's which are about 11 years old from memory I need to get fitter because my distance is dreadful and I've lost more than I should have done with age, but I've pretty much given up on any iron less lofted than a 6 and use hybrids above that

Your talent got you down to 2 back in the day. If you played with modern clubs and had the same ability to play as frequently then you’d be hitting 9 irons in and getting the ball to stop dead rather than 7 irons. But kudos on the old
When the average handicap is 18 it shows that the golfer needs all the help they can get. On a personal note, 18 months ago I shot 1 under gross to win a big competition at my club, now I'm struggling to maintain 5. We live in hope.

Agreed. I played for the first time in years a few months ago and was using my old Taylor Made big (for the time) driver. My mate had been banging on about how much the clubs had advanced, so on about hole 10 I said OK then do you mind if I have a go of yours. First swing and smashed the bloody thing MILES further than I'd been hitting it with my clubs. Like no contest, chalk and cheese.

Interesting, I've x22's which are about 11 years old from memory I need to get fitter because my distance is dreadful and I've lost more than I should have done with age, but I've pretty much given up on any iron less lofted than a 6 and use hybrids above that
All I can say is try the Mavrik irons (not Mavrik Pro or Max) in the Sim and see what you think. There’s lots on sale second hand with the Apex 21’s having just come out and you’ll find they’re much easier and go a great deal further.

It has been a tactic of the manufacturers for some time to deloft their irons so a 7 iron 10 years ago is virtually a 9 iron now. This becomes a problem when going from 9 iron into the wedges where a lot of them are specified in degrees of loft and there is a significant gap in the yardage between them. It might be simpler to stamp the loft on all clubs and do away with the numbering system.

Given the amount of tech they’ve got to enable them to still provide high launch even with delofting though, not sure that says much either.

Just need to have a proper gapping session.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.