Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Goodbye Mario?

Pigeonho said:
FlatlineMonday said:
LoveCity said:
3 major moments:

1. Man of the Match in the FA Cup final
2. Destroying the vermin in the 6-1 + WHY ALWAYS ME?
3. The Assist.

What a shame that so many of the moments between them are just a mix of frustration and ill-discipline, he could have been our 'brand' leader, the club clearly wanted to market him to the world, but he couldn't apply himself. Maybe we will buy him back in 6 years time if the penny drops?

'Brand' leader? I'd rather give that title to Silva, Kompany, Aguero, or Zabaleta
Exactly. The highlighted especially.

Its not who you determine its who the audience like. Just like Charlie Sheen is more of a recognised brand than tee total Cliff Richards. Balotelli is more famous and has a larger audience world wide than Kompany. Shirt sales alone prove that.

FlatlineMonday said:
LoveCity said:
3 major moments:

1. Man of the Match in the FA Cup final
2. Destroying the vermin in the 6-1 + WHY ALWAYS ME?
3. The Assist.

What a shame that so many of the moments between them are just a mix of frustration and ill-discipline, he could have been our 'brand' leader, the club clearly wanted to market him to the world, but he couldn't apply himself. Maybe we will buy him back in 6 years time if the penny drops?

'Brand' leader? I'd rather give that title to Silva, Kompany, Aguero, or Zabaleta

A brand leader has to be marketable though, only Aguero really of those above is but Balotelli has more marketing potential than the lot of them. Kompany is a perfect role model but isn't a player you 'sell' to the world like a Ronaldo or Neymar. That's why Mario's YouTube videos have so many hits, why he's one of the most searched footballers on Google, etc. The problem is he wasn't able to make such an impression on the pitch as off it. Had he become the 25-a-season beast we all wanted he'd have been a huge asset to us of and off the pitch. Soriano and Txiki will know the importance of a 'brand' player, they were there when Barca bought Ronaldinho and tried to sign Beckham. Mario was our closest thing, I love our players but none of them are going to move shirts like Ronaldo and Messi do - Mario could have if he applied himself.

Just shown the "Why Always Me?" celebration on SSN. I never knew he actually placed emphasis on showing the Scum fans what it said.

didactic said:
Pigeonho said:
FlatlineMonday said:

Its not who you determine its who the audience like. Just like Charlie Sheen is more of a recognised brand than tee total Cliff Richards. Balotelli is more famous and has a larger audience world wide than Kompany. Shirt sales alone prove that.
I understand that. Thing is though for us as fans, (depending how you see things), it is purely what a player can do on the pitch which we focus on. I have no interest in his latest car, bird, house, slagging off a brass or haircut. I care about him performing on the pitch and as far as Balotelli goes he has done a few things of note for us, nothing much more. The fame you talk of comes from things off the pitch in my opinion, and as a fan of the football club for footballing purposes, that is of no use to me. The businessmen will see it differently though, which I get.

Seosa said:
Just shown the "Why Always Me?" celebration on SSN. I never knew he actually placed emphasis on showing the Scum fans what it said.

Awesome when he run the rags crazy that day and wish that Mario would do this week in week out but sadly it won’t happen. I am not convinced he is going yet so if he stays he must start to perform for his team, manager and himself

Pigeonho said:
didactic said:
Pigeonho said:

I understand that. Thing is though for us as fans, (depending how you see things), it is purely what a player can do on the pitch which we focus on. I have no interest in his latest car, bird, house, slagging off a brass or haircut. I care about him performing on the pitch and as far as Balotelli goes he has done a few things of note for us, nothing much more. The fame you talk of comes from things off the pitch in my opinion, and as a fan of the football club for footballing purposes, that is of no use to me. The businessmen will see it differently though, which I get.

Comparing him to either 3rd/4th strikers at other clubs even 2nd choice strikers he has been superb. Balotelli is a victim of a great deal of media bullying. What he did was always hyped up because its him. I know you don't like hiphop but Ma$e has a song where he described this sort of behavior ill just quote the verse.

"Take me for example, at least I made it
You think people in the world should appreciate it
By time it's happy birthday, it's gonna be belated
When you are me, everything you do get exaggerated.

You miss saying hi they gonna say you flipped out
Take a piss in the street they say, you pulled your dick out
As a youth it’s just a lot of shit, I wanna live out
Got alot of friends but only had a few when I was without.
" -Ma$e

Thats Mario everything he does is made to look the worst it can ever be.

bluenova said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
For a family as financially illiterate as yours it would be a (very lucrative) pleasure. ;-)

We paid £18m (€22m) on a 5 year contract for him 2.5 years ago. We amortise (write off to the P&L account) 18/5 (£3.6m) every year meaning we've written off £9m to date. This makes his net book value £9m. We calculate the profit on the sale price less net book value so if we get €24m (£20.5m) the profit we show, regardless of how Milan finance it, is £11.5m.

Don't like to be cheeky to a fellow Prestwich blue, but does it really make it a better deal because of the "accounting profits"? We still spent that money, even if it's been written off.

Given the up/down career he has had so far, getting more money than we paid for him is probably a good deal - but if you're paying £18m for a teenager then you're hoping he's going to be worth a lot more than that when you sell him. We could sell him for £10m and still make an 'accounting profit' - but it would be a travesty for a player who was one of the stars of the Euros last summer.
It's a fair question but the cash in or out is largely irrelevant and to get back what we paid for someone who really hasn't delivered on his promise is not bad. Plus there's a business decision to be made on a number of counts.

1) From a paying point of view we know what he CAN do but are we ever going to see him do it consistently?

2) Will he appreciate in value significantly? You could take a chance pre-Bosman but can't anymore. It's a bit like Deal Or No Deal but now the odds are in the player's favour.

3) We'd be looking at offering him a new contract or getting rid this summer as his value will start going down unless he delivers on the field (See 1)

4) FFP. We might need that profit to meet it.

5) We almost certainly need to sell before we buy. If we've got someone more reliable lined up it makes sense

didactic said:
Pigeonho said:
FlatlineMonday said:

+1

Very naive for anyone to think that Zab can be the poster boy of Manchester City. As has been said, the whole world watches Mario's every movement. Maybe this was part of the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.