Gordon McQueen

Died aged 70. Great player RIP.
Truly saddened to hear this. Met him at many Rangers games Home and Away. He was a close friend of Ex Scotland and Celtic player Davie Provan who I meet quite often. He had said he was very poorly but was still trying to put away a few glasses of Red.

Very good, old school, no frills centre half. You got exactly what it said on the tin. A bit like big Dave Watson, in fact. One of Leeds's better players in that period.
Would he have fitted into a Pep side? Doubtful. Highly doubtful.
I was at that F.A. Cup match. I think it was the first time I ever saw us win at Elland Rd. (And the last, for that matter).
People may not have noticed this, but he also takes part in the extras for The Damned United DVD. Again, he speaks the way you'd expect him to speak (from memory — “I was no cuddly toy”!).

Was he any good never seen him play, abit before my time.

RIP
As others have said, an old-fashioned style centre back, commanding in the air and no nonsense. He played 13 years in and around the top flight, so he was definitely good at what he did. He scored the first goal in Scotland's (in)famous victory at Wembley in 1977, a majestic header, but, oddly enough, he never played in a World Cup finals.

Old school and hard as nails. Also got disoriented whenever he got anywhere near the halfway line. That said, that was true of all centre-halves back then. It’s also one tradition the rags have resolutely stuck with in recent years.

As others have said, an old-fashioned style centre back, commanding in the air and no nonsense. He played 13 years in and around the top flight, so he was definitely good at what he did. He scored the first goal in Scotland's (in)famous victory at Wembley in 1977, a majestic header, but, oddly enough, he never played in a World Cup finals.

Was that the one where they invaded the pitch and broke the crossbar? They then flocked into London after the match. The west end was like the Wild West, if it's that one. Had a very sticky moment accompanied by my girlfriend — we were going out for the evening — confronted by four drunk, belligerent Glaswegians (I think they were Glaswegians, anyway, didn't ask them for id…) who definitely wanted a fight.

Was that the one where they invaded the pitch and broke the crossbar? They then flocked into London after the match. The west end was like the Wild West, if it's that one. Had a very sticky moment accompanied by my girlfriend — we were going out for the evening — confronted by four drunk, belligerent Glaswegians (I think they were Glaswegians, anyway, didn't ask them for id…) who definitely wanted a fight.
they were lovely when they came here .............Rangers and Celtic.

Not

That was the game. High spirits (40% proof).

I think Glaswegians probably renders those words redundant. ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.