Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

I was 10 also in the Platt Lane and remember all the cool cats and all City’s lads near the back.
I’m sure it kicked off.
The 82/83 season when we got relegated, we had a night game v Everton and 5 mins before kick off loads of Everton came into Platt Lane and went into the front to the end near the away fans corner. The derby was 3 days later so the fences had gone up....
I was sat in the middle of Platt lane to the side where the away fans were and looked behind me on kick off and the Cool Cats had followed them in but gone to the back. After one or twoth minutes, Everton had a chance and the Toffee twats all jumped up like you do when you think you are about to score..... the next thing the Cool Cats charged down to the front and it all kicked off. The Everton fans had no where to run so tried to climb the fence but were pulled down and given a hiding. The police horses even came into the stand to help out....never seen them in the stands before or after.... Everton were given a lesson and never returned to the Platt Lane stand again whilst home fans were in there

The 82/83 season when we got relegated, we had a night game v Everton and 5 mins before kick off loads of Everton came into Platt Lane and went into the front to the end near the away fans corner. The derby was 3 days later so the fences had gone up....
I was sat in the middle of Platt lane to the side where the away fans were and looked behind me on kick off and the Cool Cats had followed them in but gone to the back. After one or two minutes, Everton had a chance and the Toffee twats all jumped up like you do when you think you are about to score..... the next thing the Cool Cats charged down to the front and it all kicked off. The Everton fans had no where to run so tried to climb the fence but were pulled down and given a hiding. The police horses even came into the stand to help out....never seen them in the stands before or after.... Everton were given a lesson and never returned to the Platt Lane stand again whilst home fans were in there
Ah, it was probably this game i was at.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ‘boro semi final 2nd leg I’ll never forget!
Kippax was rocking!
Please excuse the self afacing little story.
At 14 me mam always made sure I has me coat on when I went out and after I passed inspection I used to stuff the coat under a holly bush at the bus stop (to be picked up on my return) revealing me in my full glory in cap sleeve tee shirt, skinners and docs (in mid February)... brrrrr.
We win the game game and go mad! Invade the pitch and I run up to a camera man and do the stevie g thing kissing the lens.
I get off the bus, get me coat from under the bush and walk in the house just as the game comes on tv.
Final whistle and some daft twat runs on the pitch and kisses a camera!
Me mam gets up and looks real stern and says .....where’s your bloody coat lad? ..hahaha

I recall away fans seats were in the Main Stand next to the North Stand

They might have done for run of the mill games but for the biggies they got seats at the front of the NS and PL as well, strangely I don’t recall them in the main stand but I could see the logic of sticking them in J Block.

Loads over the years but I will give you one where the atmosphere from start to finish was extremely electric.

The year after we won the cup winners cup we got to the quarter final and played Gornik Zabrze who we beat in that final. We lost the away leg 0-2 and copped loads of injuries before the return tie. The call went out from the manager and players, "We need you" and as we often have over the years we turned up.

Gornik had said before the game they really feared the rain and in true Manchester fashion it bucketed it down all day and night. I waited at the main entrance for their coach and as they got off held my hand out, pointed to the sky and said, " Rain, very good eh?" The wry smiles told me thought it was anything but.

All the kids played magnificently and we won 2-0 after extra time roared on by the crowd from the first minute to the last. Ian Mellor scored one and made the other. We won the replay on a neutral ground 3-1 before losing to Chelsea in the semi final, our injuries just too much to overcome. The kids played so well Gornik accused them of being on drugs which fired the team up for the replay.

I found a short clip the pitch will tell you just how wet it was!

Well I went to most of the matches being talked about and I know people can have very different experiences at the same game.

But I really don’t think it’s even an argument.

City 5 Charlton 1 was DANGEROUS in the extreme and the atmosphere was another level. I’ll never forget...it was too much really.

https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/charlton-home-198485/

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.